acute pain attendings what a bunch of horse ****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

criticalelement

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard of and seen jobs posted for acute pain attendings where all they do is put in blocks all day long and round on the acute pain patients? what a cake job... they do not do any general anesthesia cases at all. Is this commonplace?

How can they expect a similar salary to ananesthesiologist who is running three rooms and dealing with the problems that that entails.. I think this is commonplace at university settings.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Prime position for takeover by midlevels in 10 years. Monkey see monkey do job.

At a university you are teaching residents to do blocks all day, which is very different.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of and seen jobs posted for acute pain attendings where all they do is put in blocks all day long and round on the acute pain patients? what a cake job... they do not do any general anesthesia cases at all. Is this commonplace?

How can they expect a similar salary to ananesthesiologist who is running three rooms and dealing with the problems that that entails.. I think this is commonplace at university settings.
What is wrong with this?

I don't get it. The days of a single anesthesiologist doing hearts, OB, regional, and peds all together are over.

There is likely 3 to 5 regional attendings that take turns doing block days and the rest of the time they are doing random OR cases.

Never heard of such a job, so don't worry.

I figured a lot of academic places have this; mine certainly did. Our pain attending didn't even do that many blocks/catheters while they were on service. Was mostly rounding on old catheters and consults, seeing new consults, the occasional rescue procedure in PACU or the ED, and teaching.

How can they expect a similar salary to an anesthesiologist who is running three rooms and dealing with the problems that that entails.. I think this is commonplace at university settings.

Probably makes $ sense for a group/hospital if they can improve OR efficiency, improve patient pain scores, decrease length of stay, etc.

The days of a single anesthesiologist doing hearts, OB, regional, and peds all together are over.

Community hospitals will always need generalists.

Agreed that this is largely an academic phenomenon. Seems to be a couple of driving forces behind this. For 2016 the ACGME language for anesthesia residencies became more specific, now requiring 3 defined and separate months for pain: 1 regional/blocks, 1 chronic pain month and 1 acute pain month (the older version was more vague, training programs had more freedom to pick and choose different proportions of time for each the 3 sections). The second part is, programs across the country are using their acute pain service to demonstrate compliance with the oft-touted, rarely understood "surgical home." Makes them more likely to get funding for this kind of position (perhaps anesthesia departments hoping to carve out a bigger piece of the shrinking pie with bundled payments around the corner).