Acute Renal Failure hypo or hypernatremia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShoeFactory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was working on kaplan and it gives us a vignette about 40 y/o man presenting to ED after being in motor vehicle accident with severe injuries to lower back and legs. He develops acute renal failure within 24 hrs of admission. Which would occur in the plasma concentration of sodium compared to a normal individual?

Kaplan says increased sodium, but I am thinking of a decrease in sodium concentration as hyponatremia is one of the complications of ARF. I know hypervolemia is a problem in ARF, but hypernatremia???

Members don't see this ad.

I was working on kaplan and it gives us a vignette about 40 y/o man presenting to ED after being in motor vehicle accident with severe injuries to lower back and legs. He develops acute renal failure within 24 hrs of admission. Which would occur in the plasma concentration of sodium compared to a normal individual?

Kaplan says increased sodium, but I am thinking of a decrease in sodium concentration as hyponatremia is one of the complications of ARF. I know hypervolemia is a problem in ARF, but hypernatremia???

Are you sure it's not hypernatriuria and not -emia? Is this the arrow question? Also asks about potassium levels, nitrogenous waste levels, etc etc?

Yes it is that question and it explicitly says plasma concentrations of the substances listed. It also has nonprotein nitrogens, k, h+, bicarb.

Yes it is that question and it explicitly says plasma concentrations of the substances listed. It also has nonprotein nitrogens, k, h+, bicarb.

I believe there was a video attached for the explanation, right? Damn, makes no sense for hyper...

edit: ohhhh yeah now i remember...in the video the question talk about it being a crush injury thats why there was hypernatremia