ADC preliminary exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Julian Lui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im hoping to start up a new thread regarding ADC preliminary exam. It seems as though the old threads are a bit outdated now.

Im going to be taking 2012 September Preliminary exam.

I need to know what is a good study plan from those who have been studying for it already or have taken the test.

I just need to know what was your study plan for tackling this exam effectively. What should be covered, what is a must read, and any other information you think would be valuable.

Willing to provide resources.

Members don't see this ad.

hey julian lui, im new to this network, and dnt know exactly how it is done here, plannin to give prelim in december, so i need to kno exactly what all is required to study n where from n i would also like to suggest u for group studying if u r in sydney, it would b really very helpful, we can help each other out

Last edited:
Hi, I am not sure what this exam is regarding. Is it at the end of your medical school your write this exam? Like board exams

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
@Prekshya - I am not sure how you are able to do ur exam in december, the only 2 dates available are march and september. Unless u r talking about OET? I can pass you some materials if u need.

@Cdn mo - This is the ADC exam (australian dental council) exam which is for oversea trained dentists wishing to work in Australia.

Even i wish to take up the ADC exams. I would like to apply for my initial assessment and the english exams. When should i start the process if i wish to write the theory in next march?

And i've seen there is an option between the OET and ielts academic. Which would be preferred?

@Prekshya - I am not sure how you are able to do ur exam in december, the only 2 dates available are march and september. Unless u r talking about OET? I can pass you some materials if u need.

@Cdn mo - This is the ADC exam (australian dental council) exam which is for oversea trained dentists wishing to work in Australia.

hey lui can u pass me the study materials and ebooks m also preparing for adc exam my mail id is [email protected]

@swep -

To be eligible for 2013 MAR preliminary exam (theory), you must do the following

1. Receive BACK your assessment report before december 1st 2012
- Even though the assessment application form says 4-6 weeks processing time, it took mine almost 3 months to complete. SO IT IS BEST TO HAND IT IN 3 MONTHS BEFORE THE DEADLINE. 4 MONTHS TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. OR AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.
- I was furious because i handed it in 6 weeks before and received it way past the deadline, and they couldnt produce any other better excuses than "we are busy during christmas"

2. Complete OET/IELTS and receive back your certificate before december 1st 2012
- you need to complete your OET latest OCT 2012 so that you can hand in the certificate to ADC along with the preliminary application form (read below)
- I dont have a preference over which test is better because i only took the OET exam.

3. Hand in your preliminary application form before december 1st 2012 (Absolute deadline)
- You must hand in at this point your
a. preliminary application form (which you will get after you receive your assessment report back)
b. OET test result certificate

My suggestion is to DO EVERYTHING EARLIER in order to avoid complications.

Below are some more information if you need,
http://www.dentalcouncil.net.au/dentistryinaust.html
http://www.occupationalenglishtest.org/Display.aspx

Hope these info will help you!

Hi All

Please help....ADC very secretive

Any one who passed recently willing to send me some of the questions you remember
It is a lot of work and very little time!!!!
Any South Africans interested in study group?

Thanks

hi everyone is there any body who is preparing for adc from india (hyderabad).
please contact me i wanna share about exam my mail id is [email protected].

i request all the members of the sdn to please help me in starting my adc exam factor .
1.how to read
2.wats the material prefferd?
3. where to buy the materials?
4.materials for both adc and oet ?

its my humble request to all to support me and help me with this and please put down your suggestion and experience
my email id is [email protected]

@swep -

To be eligible for 2013 MAR preliminary exam (theory), you must do the following

1. Receive BACK your assessment report before december 1st 2012
- Even though the assessment application form says 4-6 weeks processing time, it took mine almost 3 months to complete. SO IT IS BEST TO HAND IT IN 3 MONTHS BEFORE THE DEADLINE. 4 MONTHS TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. OR AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.
- I was furious because i handed it in 6 weeks before and received it way past the deadline, and they couldnt produce any other better excuses than "we are busy during christmas"

2. Complete OET/IELTS and receive back your certificate before december 1st 2012
- you need to complete your OET latest OCT 2012 so that you can hand in the certificate to ADC along with the preliminary application form (read below)
- I dont have a preference over which test is better because i only took the OET exam.

3. Hand in your preliminary application form before december 1st 2012 (Absolute deadline)
- You must hand in at this point your
a. preliminary application form (which you will get after you receive your assessment report back)
b. OET test result certificate

My suggestion is to DO EVERYTHING EARLIER in order to avoid complications.

Below are some more information if you need,
http://www.dentalcouncil.net.au/dentistryinaust.html
http://www.occupationalenglishtest.org/Display.aspx

Hope these info will help you!

hi julian.... a perfect description n well informed post.....thanks :)
hmm , am gonna call them tomorrow regarding some queries about certain columns of the assessment form...

b/w, if all gets done well on time , i am planning to sit for the march 2013 slot...
many of my friends have recently passed the theory exam...n it makes me a lil hopeful, against the previous conception of it being really hard to get through...

i hope this would serve as motivation for all of you... goodluck with the exam...my frnds referred to me , a few books apart frm the regular syllabus books >
odell
boucher's
oxford
master dentistry..

thankfully , they were all easily available at the local market except for boucher , which i hv heard , is available at New Delhi .

goodluck guys...

hey julian , can i get ur email id , if u dnt mind , to stay in touch ,..in case u r preparing for the same march 2013 slot?...aww, well though i hope u sit for the september one this year itself n pass it with flying colors...goodlk ..n thx again

if i finished my ADC exam, can i get any system help me to work and study or applying to any program ?

Hello everyone,
Apparently there'd be no exam after march 2013. Check the ADC website for info.
There's a new system to be started in 2014. Yet, September 2013 is canceled.

Hi. Can anyone send me or direct me to a website that gives a time schedule (opening and closing dates) for initial assessment for Dentists in ADC for March 2013 exam? I could only know that the last date is 1st December 2012.
Their website is not as clear as the NZDREX one. Please can anyone help?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, im new here in this forum. Im living in Perth and I have booked for the march 2013 exam, still waiting for ADC's confirmation though. Is there anybody who knows a good review of mcq's available online? Ive seen kaplan and other online review for NBDE but i am very eager to enrol that is specific for adc. Any suggestions?

So i failed ADC preliminary exam... quite badly...

I dont know how to study for this, all the past paper questions im not sure which answer is correct or not. There is no system to this exam. I have hit a road block.

So i failed ADC preliminary exam... quite badly...

I dont know how to study for this, all the past paper questions im not sure which answer is correct or not. There is no system to this exam. I have hit a road block.

Past Exams
Oxford Handbook of Clinical Dentistry
Therapeutic Guidelines

That's what I used ...

I didnt use oxford, i had 1060 MCQ, past SAQ, boucher, TG and quite a few others
But i mainly focused on 1060MCQ and TG (Therapeutic guideline)

Is the exam standardized? Do we pass by getting over 60%? Or is it totally random... I came out of the exam feeling not bad, but im guessing if its standardized then everyone probably did well also.
C2H5OH, how was the exam for you? Im guessing u took it pretty early on.

I'm done with the whole ADC examination process ...

I'm done with the whole ADC examination process ...
HI am Hanshika planning 2 take NZDREX .hve u cleared all ADC exams?do u mind 2 help guide me 4 my part 1 exam.I know part 1is same 4 both ADC nd NZDREX.I'll b looking 4 ur reply

hi julian.... a perfect description n well informed post.....thanks :)
hmm , am gonna call them tomorrow regarding some queries about certain columns of the assessment form...

b/w, if all gets done well on time , i am planning to sit for the march 2013 slot...
many of my friends have recently passed the theory exam...n it makes me a lil hopeful, against the previous conception of it being really hard to get through...

i hope this would serve as motivation for all of you... goodluck with the exam...my frnds referred to me , a few books apart frm the regular syllabus books >
odell
boucher's
oxford
master dentistry..

thankfully , they were all easily available at the local market except for boucher , which i hv heard , is available at New Delhi .

goodluck guys...

hey julian , can i get ur email id , if u dnt mind , to stay in touch ,..in case u r preparing for the same march 2013 slot?...aww, well though i hope u sit for the september one this year itself n pass it with flying colors...goodlk ..n thx again
Hi doc r u taking this march exam?am planning 4 next march2014.cn u tell full book name of odell know its 4 short answers its nt available on ebooks .I'LL B WAITING 4 UR REPLY

HI am Hanshika planning 2 take NZDREX .hve u cleared all ADC exams?do u mind 2 help guide me 4 my part 1 exam.I know part 1is same 4 both ADC nd NZDREX.I'll b looking 4 ur reply

There's nothing to guide ... just study the material that I've mentioned ...
One more thing ... they are restructuring the exams, that's why the Sept 13 is cancelled ... so there's no way to know how the 2014 exam will look like

Is the exam standardized? Do we pass by getting over 60%? Or is it totally random... I came out of the exam feeling not bad, but im guessing if its standardized then everyone probably did well also.

When applying for the exam, you should have received a brochure explaining the grading of the exam ... from your question is seems that you haven't reed the brochure at all. :eek:

The only thing that seems from the exams results, is that if you fail the MCQ's (checked by computer) they don't bother checking your SAQ's (checked manually), which is kind-of logical :rolleyes: ...

New here....dont know wat to study for australian prelim exam freaking out totally please help someone need materials guidance watever.....puhleeeeseee

There's nothing to guide ... just study the material that I've mentioned ...
One more thing ... they are restructuring the exams, that's why the Sept 13 is cancelled ... so there's no way to know how the 2014 exam will look like
u hve mentioned only 22 books is tht enough?wht abt bouchers mcqs?whtever pattern of d exam I think study material will b atleast same so plz let me know which all books u read?

u hve mentioned only 22 books is tht enough?wht abt bouchers mcqs?whtever pattern of d exam I think study material will b atleast same so plz let me know which all books u read?

I'm sorry for possibly being rude, but are you having some kind of comprehension problem? What was unclear in what I've written in my previous posts? :bang:

I'm sorry for possibly being rude, but are you having some kind of comprehension problem? What was unclear in what I've written in my previous posts? :bang:
I don't hve any comprohension problem as u mentioned .u had told abt just told oxford handbook of clinical dentistry nd therapeutic guidelines.just want 2 know other books which u read thts all.sorry 4 being straight forward.I'l b looking 4 ur reply soon with some help regarding study material.

I don't hve any comprohension problem as u mentioned .u had told abt just told oxford handbook of clinical dentistry nd therapeutic guidelines.just want 2 know other books which u read thts all.sorry 4 being straight forward.I'l b looking 4 ur reply soon with some help regarding study material.

that was ALL the material that I used for the preliminary exam ... I don't think I can be clearer than that ...

hi everyone is there any body who is preparing for adc from india (hyderabad).
please contact me i wanna share about exam my mail id is [email protected].

i request all the members of the sdn to please help me in starting my adc exam factor .
1.how to read
2.wats the material prefferd?
3. where to buy the materials?
4.materials for both adc and oet ?

its my humble request to all to support me and help me with this and please put down your suggestion and experience
my email id is [email protected]
hi whn r u planning 2 gve exam?cn u take up d exam in Hydrabad?if u r interested 2 discuss regarding d exam reply bk

What do u mean by SAQ sessions do u have sample questions or u do sessions

I didnt use oxford, i had 1060 MCQ, past SAQ, boucher, TG and quite a few others
But i mainly focused on 1060MCQ and TG (Therapeutic guideline)

Julian I failed ADC sept 2012 too, and I came out quite satisfied as well.....are u planning to sit the March 2013 exam?I could use a study buddy....anyone??

Hi,
New here.... Appearing for prelims in March... Help required with study material and a study partner...

Hi there!

Anyone sitting the ADC prelim exams in Johannesburg in March 2013? Would appreciate a study group or buddy.

Julian I failed ADC sept 2012 too, and I came out quite satisfied as well.....are u planning to sit the March 2013 exam?I could use a study buddy....anyone??

new member of sdn..plz help me with material for oet and part 1? julian..can u? plz. that would be a gr8 help

Hi doc r u taking this march exam?am planning 4 next march2014.cn u tell full book name of odell know its 4 short answers its nt available on ebooks .I'LL B WAITING 4 UR REPLY
Hi. I'm planning to seat the ADC prelim in March 2014 too.
Do you know anything about the new exam?
Thanks

Hi. I'm planning to seat the ADC prelim in March 2014 too.
Do you know anything about the new exam?
Thanks

hi i am planning to give the exam in 2014 ...... help reqd... somebody lookin to form a study group?

hiee,,hanshika
its Clinical_Problem_Solving_in_Dentistry by Edward W. Odell
I am having that ebook,,if u want..

I am planning to give OET in August & ADC-1 in march-2014 from India....
Right now,i am in Sydney for two months..
Anyone interested to be study partner,,??
plz reply to [email protected]

Last edited:

hiee,,hanshika
its Clinical_Problem_Solving_in_Dentistry by Edward W. Odell
I am having that ebook,,if u want..

I am planning to give OET in August & ADC-1 in march-2014 from India....
Right now,i am in Sydney for two months..
Anyone interested to be study partner,,??
plz reply to [email protected]

Hello, I'm Amir from Cairo, willing to appear in March '14.
I'm moving to Australia next month.
I sat IELTS, and already sent an application for assessment. Waiting for ADC to announce the new system to apply for preliminary.
Anyone who needs to contact me, add me on Skype: miroz89
Cheers, good luck to all of us!

Main changes are as follows:
No SAQ questions, only MCQ.*
4 papers, you have to pass all of them to pass, unlike the old process.*
Results will be online.
Deadline is Nov. 15th

thanks for info but where u find this i couldnt c on their website ........?

hi i am planning to give the exam in 2014 ...... help reqd... somebody lookin to form a study group?
hi im going to sit in adc march 2014 also looking for study partner ......?

Hi there!

Anyone sitting the ADC prelim exams in Johannesburg in March 2013? Would appreciate a study group or buddy.
Hi Cannie, and everyone

I am Sitting the ADC exams in March in Johannesburg, only found this forum recently.
How is your studying going?
Do you or anyone in the forum have passed papers that you could send through to me?
email to [email protected]
Thanks, the help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Richard

Last edited:
Past Exams
Oxford Handbook of Clinical Dentistry
Therapeutic Guidelines

That's what I used ...
Hello C2H5OH and all

Do you know where I could get a copy of the therapeutic guidelines, and also does anyone have any copies of past papers?
any study material and past papers can be sent to my email, [email protected]
Thank you, any help will be greatly appreciated
Richard

Last edited:
hi everyone I'm planing to appear in september, i live in melbourne and looking for serious study partner . if anyone interest pls contact Skype: gorkem.goker

Hello everyone
I am bushra from khi, pakistan
Want some guidance please from you ppl
Can you please email me OET sample pprs and ADC books lists
Please email me on [email protected]

Hi
I am planning to take ADC preliminary exam in March 2015. I am located in Sydney and need a serious study partner ASAP
.My email is [email protected]