ADD/ADHD in explanation statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowdocsoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a rejection from all the schools I applied to this year. I didn't do bad in my undergrad (3.0 GPA), but didn't achieve the GPA to be as competitive as others applying to vet-school. I was diagnosed with a learning disability in the last semester of my undergrad, but it didn't seem that diagnosis was enough. I went on to grad-school and studied like crazy for the 2 classes I had. I ended up with C's in both classes the first semester. I decided that after studying like mad and achieving only mediocre grades, there must be something else going on. I was advised to get tested for ADHD, and as it turns out I have it (minus the hyperactivity). Once I was diagnosed and have treatment, I am doing very well and my grades have very much improved. Now that I'm done with classes in my masters degree, I don't have much opportunity to show them what I can do academically (nor can I afford to continue taking classes to show my improvement). I want to include this diagnosis on my explanation statement for next year, but I am afraid it will hurt my chances. Alternatively, I feel if I include this in my explanation statement, it will explain why I haven't achieved a competitive GPA. Although, that's not the only reason I didn't do well, it is a huge factor.

I have a few questions.

1.) How many others have this same issue? Vet-students or pre-vets?

2.) If you got accepted, did you include this on your explanation statement? If so, did it help or hinder?

3.) Do any current vet-students find that having ADD/ADHD is problem in vet-school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was advised to get tested for ADHD, and as it turns out I have it (minus the hyperactivity). Once I was diagnosed and have treatment, I am doing very well and my grades have very much improved.

I think the biggest thing to consider is: can you point to a clear delination between without treatment and with treatment? If you were getting Cs with no treatment are you getting straight As now? If you can point to a specific point on your transcript and say: here, I had Cs with no treatment. HERE (more recently) I have As WITH treatment, it "looks" better.

You may want to message Nyanko - I believe she had a similar experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks TT! When I did a search, I didn't see that first one. That is helpful!

That redhead, I can't point to only 1 time in which it has changed. I didn't go from C's to A's. I got my diagnosis about halfway through my second semester, and went from C's to B's in that semester of my classes. Unfortunately, ad comm's cannot see that, they will only see my final grades. After that semester, I took two summer courses and successfully scored high A's. I ended up with a B in immunology after that. Like I said, now I'm done with classes. Also, my graduate GPA doesn't look great, because I am trying to recover from those two C's, and my research/thesis credits aren't graded until I defend.

I have ADD

I did not mention it in my PS, but part of the reason that I didn't is that i attended a research based college, and ADD didn't impact my grades as much as working insane hours did (which I did mention.)

It kicks my tail in vet school. I am very noise sensitive, unable to filter out most noise, or i need a constant type of one noise in the background (I can have NPR or music on constantly, but I am distracted in a 'quiet' room by noises of people moving, whispering, etc.) I also don't catch on to info without a lot of immediate repetition. So I will understand a concept, but I can't give you the name of the concept or the name of the factors in the concept (but I can often draw it out subsituting icons for names.) I find classes torture, and I spend a ton of time in classes. I tried meds last year, but so far all the meds do is make me crash whenever they wear off (to the point that I'm concerned about what happens if I'm driving when they wear off.) This year, I have gone without meds, but implemented other techniques with mixed results. I do better if I can manage to get an hour of exercise in a day (minimum, 2-3 hours is preferable) and that is hard to do. I have opted not to ask for alternatives for testing (ie quiet room, more time.) I have also developed test anxiety to an extent that is now impacting my grades (and am getting help for that.) I'm actually going to try hypnosis for test anxiety over spring break.

I read sumstorm's description and and looked this up online and I think I have ADD? crazy how well I fit basically every symptom. Is there anything you guys do other than therapy/medication to help this?

I was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive subtype) when I was 15, and it's definitely caused me to struggle through undergrad. But I got accepted to vet school this year, so I guess it hasn't held me back as much as I originally thought it might.

I wrote about my struggles with ADHD in my application essay. My interviewers didn't bring it up, so I don't know whether it was actually helpful or not, but I felt like it was relevant information to include in my application. I suppose my situation is somewhat different since I was diagnosed with it at a younger age, and had been put on medication and put in study-skills sessions before I reached college. But I still struggled in high school and undergrad moreso than other people who don't have ADHD, and I assume I will still have ADHD-related difficulties in vet school.

If you want, I can PM you what I wrote in my application.

I would greatly appreciate any PM's regarding this. Please do send me a PM canis.

nueva, I would not internet diagnose yourself. I would talk to your college disability center for help. They can ask you some preliminary questions, and recommend testing, if they think you might need it. At my college, you can get a huge discount if referred by the disability center.

Just bumping this one back up, because I could use some more feedback.

IN MY EXPERIENCE AT AN INTERNSHIP I WAS ADVISED TO NOT MENTION THAT AGAIN, BECAUSE THEY MIGHT WORRY THAT YOU WILL NEED EXTRA HELP AND THEY DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH THAT. SO I EXPLAINED THAT I HAD TO STOP WORKING IN ORDER FOR MY GRADES TO COME UP. I HAVE AN AWFUL GRE, BUT REALLY GOOD EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH ANIMALS. FOR THE 2015 I DIDN'T MENTION THE ADD FACTOR AND I'M IN!!!!!:eek::laugh: SO BASICALLY IS UP TO YOU (AND THE SCHOOLS YOU ARE TRYING TO GET IN).:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
IN MY EXPERIENCE AT AN INTERNSHIP I WAS ADVISED TO NOT MENTION THAT AGAIN, BECAUSE THEY MIGHT WORRY THAT YOU WILL NEED EXTRA HELP AND THEY DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH THAT. SO I EXPLAINED THAT I HAD TO STOP WORKING IN ORDER FOR MY GRADES TO COME UP. I HAVE AN AWFUL GRE, BUT REALLY GOOD EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH ANIMALS. FOR THE 2015 I DIDN'T MENTION THE ADD FACTOR AND I'M IN!!!!!:eek::laugh: SO BASICALLY IS UP TO YOU (AND THE SCHOOLS YOU ARE TRYING TO GET IN).:thumbup:

WHY ARE YOU YELLING???

:p

Reactions: 1 user
Just bumping this one back up, because I could use some more feedback.

I have ADHD. I mentioned it in my explanation statement only because I had just been diagnosed and the medication I started for it caused some side-effects that made me miss allot of class this one quarter. My grades dropped until my docs figured out what was going on and that it wasn't a complication from a surgery I had a few years back.

Bringing up a post from a good while ago, but it's quite relevant to what I'm going through now and was hoping for some advice!

I was diagnosed with ADD at the start of this semester. I've always been, at the very least, a solid B/B+ student. My overall GPA right now is about a 3.2, as well as my science and pre-reqGPA. Since I was only diagnosed this semester, and my treatment is really still only in its experimental stage, by the end of this semester, I'm not sure I'll have too much to show for being treated (as in, "my grades were this way before treatment, but look at my As now that I have been treated," is not something that will likely happen at this point). At best, I think I will get a B+ in autotutorial (teach it to yourself out of the textbook) biochemistry (an inherently difficult class, also at Cornell undergrad) this semester, but it wouldn't improve my numbers or anything. I still have a summer class to take prior to submitting my application, then another year of undergrad. I plan to apply during the upcoming cycle. I'm not really sure what I can say on my application, because I'm not sure how I can put it in such a way that I actually am a good student, without having sufficient proof right now. I really, really don't want to wait another year to apply. I expect I will need to reapply, but I would still like to try this year. I am just trying to figure out how to maximize my chances given my situation.

If it helps, these are my current stats:

This is a repost of my stats with some significant changes!

Female, 23, NY state resident, first time applying
A.S. in Natural Sciences and Mathematics from SUNY Orange County Community College
B.S. in Animal Science at Cornell University, expected May 2017

GPA: 3.2
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2
science GPA: 3.2
Last 45 GPA: not sure yet
*These numbers are low-end estimates

GRE : Q/V 150/150
Some special circumstances: these scores are with little to no studying. I have started meeting with a private tutor once weekly, and will be meeting with him twice weekly once this semester is over. Doing this until I take the exam again in early August, and I will also have 50% extra time on the exam as an ADD accommodation (I didn't have this the first time).

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal hospital #1: 4000 hours over 4 years
Small animal hospital #2: 2000 hours over 2 years
Large animal ambulatory service: 300 hours, still working here
Wildlife clinic: 50 hours, still working here as well

Animal Experience:
Adoption center volunteer at a PetSmart (cats only): 100 hours
Horseback riding lessons: 800 hours over 4 years
My own pet sitting business (small/large/exotic): 1000 hours over 7 years
Volunteer animal caretaker at local nature center (wildlife/exotics): 100 hours
Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine Open House volunteer, Responsible Cat Ownership booth, 2 years in a row, 20 hours total

Research:
Cornell Baker Institute for Animal Health (genetics), 400 hours, received academic credit
Laboratory technician (paid) in Cornell animal science department (reproductive bio), 1000 hours (the amount I will have when I apply - currently working here)

ECs:
President of Biology Club at SUNY Orange for 1 academic year
Member of Cornell Pre-vet club
Mentor for Cornell Pre-Veterinary Peer Mentoring Program
Cornell Tradition Fellow (recognition for commitment to volunteer & paid work while in college full time)

Employment:
Peer Advisor in SUNY Orange office of academic advising, 320 hours
Coordinator of Cornell Leadership Program for Veterinary Students, summer 2015, 600 hours

Non-animal volunteer:
Cornell Expand Your Horizons (EYH) conference (promotes STEM careers to young girls in MS/HS): 10 hours
Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) lab experience (also promotes STEM for kids in MS/HS): 8 hours

LoRs:
1 small animal vet
1 large animal vet
PI of current research lab
Biochemistry professor (tentative)
(also tentative, not sure if appropriate - opinions? I can elaborate if needed) My former high school chemistry teacher/college chemistry tutor/close friend who can attest to my academic ability despite the difficulties I've experienced over the years (hence GPA)

So, as you can see, I have a good bit of experience. It's my GPA and GRE scores that are the concern (retaking the GRE, explanation in stats above). If anyone who went through a similar experience has some recommendations, I would really appreciate it.

Bringing up a post from a good while ago, but it's quite relevant to what I'm going through now and was hoping for some advice!

I think you're in a tight spot, and there's no correct answer - you just need to go with your gut. To 'explain' a lower GPA, you need to provide concrete evidence that bolsters your claim that you a) had a problem, b) identified it, c) managed/corrected it. I'm sure it gives some credibility to be able to point to a professional diagnosis (presumably your ADD diagnosis came from a medical professional), but from the school's perspective it's not just enough to recognize a problem - they need to know that you can succeed with the problem.

You might just need to roll with it, write the best application you can, point out that you've done well since the diagnosis, and toss the dice. Your experience will carry you a long ways.

Regarding the experience .... I am totally not calling you a "liar" or anything like that, but you should doublecheck your hours. When I scan it quickly, the very first thing that went through my mind was "this sounds exaggerated".

I mean. There's 8700 hours in a year. Somehow you're spending 1000/yr in one hospital, 1000/yr in another hospital, still managing to go to school, putting in a 50hr/wk work week during that summer at Cornell, and doing all the other stuff. It just sounds like a stretch. Heck, you're apparently spending 25% of your time in those hospitals. I barely do that as a full time doctor.

Seriously not calling you out on it. If it's accurate, it's accurate and you definitely should claim every last hour that you earned. Just advising you to doublecheck and make sure it's all accurate.

I think you're in a tight spot, and there's no correct answer - you just need to go with your gut. To 'explain' a lower GPA, you need to provide concrete evidence that bolsters your claim that you a) had a problem, b) identified it, c) managed/corrected it. I'm sure it gives some credibility to be able to point to a professional diagnosis (presumably your ADD diagnosis came from a medical professional), but from the school's perspective it's not just enough to recognize a problem - they need to know that you can succeed with the problem.

You might just need to roll with it, write the best application you can, point out that you've done well since the diagnosis, and toss the dice. Your experience will carry you a long ways.

Regarding the experience .... I am totally not calling you a "liar" or anything like that, but you should doublecheck your hours. When I scan it quickly, the very first thing that went through my mind was "this sounds exaggerated".

I mean. There's 8700 hours in a year. Somehow you're spending 1000/yr in one hospital, 1000/yr in another hospital, still managing to go to school, putting in a 50hr/wk work week during that summer at Cornell, and doing all the other stuff. It just sounds like a stretch. Heck, you're apparently spending 25% of your time in those hospitals. I barely do that as a full time doctor.

Seriously not calling you out on it. If it's accurate, it's accurate and you definitely should claim every last hour that you earned. Just advising you to doublecheck and make sure it's all accurate.

I called both of the small animal hospitals and had them check with payroll (they were the only hospitals where I got paid), so these aren't estimates. From SA hospital #2, they gave me 1987 hours over 2 years. So I wrote 2000, only on SDN. I would write my exact hours on my VMCAS application. That was a part time job while I went to a community college. At SA hospital #1, I worked full time for 1 out of those 4 years, the year after I graduated high school - no college at that time. My summer job at Cornell last year was more than full time, and I wasn't taking classes then. I coordinated a research program for international students - I lived in a dorm with them, and worked with/for them from the time I woke up until the time I went to sleep (beyond then, sometimes) so I was basically working 24/7. If anything, 50 hours/week might an under-exaggeration.

I understand your concern with the hours. I've gotten it from several people on here. I'm really not lying about them, though. I've worked my ass off towards vet med since I was able to get a worker's permit at 14 years old. However, if these hours seem really unbelievable, I probably shouldn't put them on an application, in case an admissions committee thinks I'm BSing. What do you think? Honestly asking for your opinion.

I don't want to forget the main reason I posted though, which was for the ADD and GPA thing! :p

I understand your concern with the hours. I've gotten it from several people on here. I'm really not lying about them, though. I've worked my ass off towards vet med since I was able to get a worker's permit at 14 years old. However, if these hours seem really unbelievable, I probably shouldn't put them on an application, in case an admissions committee thinks I'm BSing. What do you think? Honestly asking for your opinion.

I don't want to forget the main reason I posted though, which was for the ADD and GPA thing! :p

If you earned the hours, you absolutely should put them on there without hesitation. Like I said, I am not calling you out or anything - it just jumped out at me. As long as you can document them, which you can, don't sweat it. Hours mean a lot.

I didn't have a lot to say about ADD/GPA, sorry. Other than yeah, it's a rough spot to be in. Ideally your hours (and great recommendations, and writing an awesome application) will carry you - 3.2 isn't THAT low - but if not, you may just have to resign yourself to another year and improving the GPA and then targeting schools that give more weight to recent grades.

I have a suspicion that with the research and all the other assorted activities and types of hours you have, your GPA won't hold you back as much as you think. But in the application game, nobody really knows. :)

I didn't have a lot to say about ADD/GPA, sorry. Other than yeah, it's a rough spot to be in. Ideally your hours (and great recommendations, and writing an awesome application) will carry you - 3.2 isn't THAT low - but if not, you may just have to resign yourself to another year and improving the GPA and then targeting schools that give more weight to recent grades.

I have a suspicion that with the research and all the other assorted activities and types of hours you have, your GPA won't hold you back as much as you think. But in the application game, nobody really knows. :)

Thanks, that's encouraging - at least I know I'm not completely hopeless. :)

So yeah, let's continue the norm of attaching such a stigma to learning disabilities by suggesting people hide them or be ashamed of them. Strong work.

Reactions: 3 users
Post from 2011... hopefully people have changed some since then about learning disabilities. :)

For sure.. most admissions websites I've visited make a point to let you know that accommodations are available for learning/physical/any disabilities, within reason.