Adderall = cheating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woah woah woah...this was a generic...I'm not rich
Always choose the cheapest! None of your patients are going to care that you take generic drugs. You're going to make the same money as the person who bought brand name drugs. The debt isn't worth it! Some people who took brand name drugs say they regret their decision and wish they had gone with the cheapest generic brand or had gone with a totally different drug where you wouldn't have been in so much debt! Brand names like Benadryl or Nyquil only seem to have better effects pharmacodynamics because they advertise it that way. If you try hard enough with generic drugs, you knock yourself out just as quick as the guy who uses brand name!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Always choose the cheapest! None of your patients are going to care that you take generic drugs. You're going to make the same money as the person who bought brand name drugs. The debt isn't worth it! Some people who took brand name drugs say they regret their decision and wish they had gone with the cheapest generic brand or had gone with a totally different drug where you wouldn't have been in so much debt! Brand names like Benadryl or Nyquil only seem to have better effects pharmacodynamics because they advertise it that way. If you try hard enough with generic drugs, you knock yourself out just as quick as the guy who uses brand name!

That's why despite my username i only use fentanyl...and only propofol, none of this posh diprivan stuff...and I never run an fiO2 above 30%

Many of us probably have never taken adderall in our lives and have managed to score well on the DAT and get interviewed and accepted to dental school. It is definitely possible and like everyone else has said, just focus on studying hard and competing with only yourself. Besides, having a consistent sleep schedule with at least 8 hours a night along with regular exercise and a healthy diet should really help you maintain your focus while studying, plus it's great for your lifelong health, which can't be said for adderall.
I agree with this.

You dont need to drug yourself into getting a good grade (unless of course you really are full-on ADHD). Motivation and good habits is all you need. Just remember why you need to succeed and youll have all the motivation and focus youll need. Also check out my breakdown in my link and read all my posts in the thread, I give some good detailed tips on how I studied and got the score I got.

Members don't see this ad :)
The day of a big test I have always taken a triple dose of diphenhydramine (it's legal btw)...it blocks histamines and and has an anticholinergic effect pumping more blood to your brain...maximum blood flow = maximum brain power...oh but skip the coffee cuz you don't wanna over do it and be all wired

I agree! ATTN anyone that will be taking the DAT and applying to Dental schools around the same time as me: Take lots and lots of diphenhydramine before those stressful tests/interviews!

Reactions: 1 user
Forgot to mention nootropics. I havent used any for a long time now but I remember it was very useful, and also legal unlike adderal. Nootropics are over the counter meds like herbs and such. Racetams are good, ginko biloba, fish oil, vit B complex, bacopa extract and my personal favorite vinpocetine. Do some research about this if you think you need help getting better grades.

Also nootropics are not addictive like adderal is. Check out your college library and look for the kid that's been sitting in one spot all day (or maybe 2 or 3 days straight). That person almost certainly looks like a fully detailed life-like zombie statue. Definitely not the poster boy for good health, more like the poster boy for cocaine or meth addiction.

(no hate intended on real ADHD-ers, just my 2 cents on what Ive seen around campus)

why stop at adderrall? why not methamphetamines?

file_183333_0_zoidberg-header.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
My two cents. I took Adderall twice in college. (Btw I am diagnosed with ADHD, I just don't like taking medications with suicidal depression as a side effect). But the first time I took it I memorized everything I needed to learn for bio 1 and bio 2 in 2 days. I accidentally got stuck in an upper elective bio class that required bio 1 and 2, though at the time I hadn't taken any science courses. I was fine until the final came, and i literally had no idea what was going on in the class. I spent the next 2 days of my life learning everything in bio 1 and 2, and then the next day learning all the info for the final. I passed with a B... Literally the only B on my transcript from a science course.

The second time was for the DAT. I had a family emergency, where I had to fly back up to NJ for a couple months and couldn't study for the DAT. I realized there was a couple days until my DAT. My dad urged me to just the take the test, so I flew down to Florida. Took a whole lot of adderall and read the entire princeton review book and did every probblem I could in two days then took the test. And got 20s and 21s in each section (well except math...).

I digressed a lot. But heres my two cents... If you need Adderall to get into Dental school, what are you going to do in dental school... If you spent your entire Undergrad cracked out in the library, like many kids do, how terrible is dental school gonna be?

Word on the streets is tons of people in dental school are still taking loads of adderall.

YES. If you do not truly have ADHD and are taking adderall solely to "stay focused" while studying and make better grades than the next person, IT IS CHEATING!

Besides, it feels 10x better to know you achieved those grades and put in the hard work WITHOUT drugs.

I had a classmate that used adderall. A LOT. He's the coolest guy every the first time you meet him. Then you start working with him and you realize he is the moodiest, most abrasive, insane person on earth. I hated working with him and I have very little respect for him. He has accomplished a lot during his undergrad, but his commitments were very shallow. I'm 100% sure he's going to get into a great med-school, but honestly, as a doctor, I think he'll be absolutely awful. I look at him and I know no ones going to want to work closely with him because he's always so cracked out. and I am sure he's going to deal with malpractice insurance and lawsuits on more than one occasion throughout his career. I'm sure other factors are involved but word from the grapevine is that he didnt get to being so crazy until he started abusing adderall.

I personally think adderall is the equivalent of steroids for academics.

I had a classmate that used adderall. A LOT. He's the coolest guy every the first time you meet him. Then you start working with him and you realize he is the moodiest, most abrasive, insane person on earth. I hated working with him and I have very little respect for him. He has accomplished a lot during his undergrad, but his commitments were very shallow. I'm 100% sure he's going to get into a great med-school, but honestly, as a doctor, I think he'll be absolutely awful. I look at him and I know no ones going to want to work closely with him because he's always so cracked out. and I am sure he's going to deal with malpractice insurance and lawsuits on more than one occasion throughout his career. I'm sure other factors are involved but word from the grapevine is that he didnt get to being so crazy until he started abusing adderall.

I personally think adderall is the equivalent of steroids for academics.
Your classmate must have been my roommate. I dealt with a person just like that... at least you didn't have to live with him. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha if I needed motivation/focus for studying the DAT, and if I had that kind of cash, I'd spend it elsewhere... (like the dollar-dance-store). You should only worry about yourself, other people can mind their own business. And it's not like we're scored by percentile anymore on the DAT.

LOL, this thread is ridiculous. Especially the OP. Omg, how will u ever do well on ur dat if everyone else is taking Adderall??? Worry about ur score, not others. It bothers me that people think Adderall is like the pill in the movie limitless... Yes I have taken it, no I do not take it regularly, and no I didn't take it for my dat. But my roommate takes it, and it really does nothing except wakes him up if need be, and makes him a little more motivated to do stuff. You don't become smarter, your memory doesn't become better, and even your focus, I don't really think it does that much. If your SERIOUSLY engaged in what you are doing, on or off Adderall, you should generally feel the same way.

Adderall is just a stimulant, similar to caffeine. But heck, I bet you don't think the 5 cups of coffee of coffee or energy drinks your have every day are cheating. If your so worried about the advantage others have on Adderall, then either get some and stop complaining, eat some of the "superfoods" and buy caffeine pills, buy some pre-workout that has stimulants and stuff to improve your focus, or just stop complaining about ur "lack" of success or your "struggle" and deal with it.

On top of that, if it helps someone, it helps them. Don't be bitter about it. My cousin went to Brown (like 7 years ago), and she said she couldn't believe how many of the students used cocaine on a daily or weekly basis to study. SO even some of the brightest students take advantage of whatever works for them. If you don't use anything, that's fine, but don't bash on others because they do. Worry about yourself and youll be fine, no matter what methods you use or assistance you have

I studied for the DAT hard for a month after two years after learning the core subjects and scored decently. I was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD since I was in high school. I absolutely refused to use adderall and I never have. I said I needed to get **** done and I forced myself to take control of my future. This isn't humble brag. I'm straight up bragging that I overcame my diagnosis. You're saying that you're "screwed" because it's standardized and many people will do well compared to you? Nope, sorry but that's pathetic. Doesn't matter what the hell other people do, unless you're just stupid, for lack of better words. If you're just dumb, then what good will adderall do you?

Reactions: 2 users
I studied for the DAT hard for a month after two years after learning the core subjects and scored decently. I was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD since I was in high school. I absolutely refused to use adderall and I never have. I said I needed to get **** done and I forced myself to take control of my future. This isn't humble brag. I'm straight up bragging that I overcame my diagnosis. You're saying that you're "screwed" because it's standardized and many people will do well compared to you? Nope, sorry but that's pathetic. Doesn't matter what the hell other people do, unless you're just stupid, for lack of better words. If you're just dumb, then what good will adderall do you?

Not undermining your hard work or success, but what is the big problem with adderall? Some people on here seem to think it is such a terrible thing to use, or such a weakness to use it... I don't really get it? If it helps you and you can legally get it, what is the problem?

My uncle is an MD and the vp of the leading cancer treatment company for rare cancer types in the US. He takes adderall daily, simply because he is diagnosed with ADHD and it helps him with work and research. I'm not sure why you think you are too good for it? Once again, I respect your determination to deal with your "disadvantages" on your own and overcome your struggles in life. I am not trying to put you down or insist upon you taking it or anything, just wondering what so many people have against it?

It's like everyone thinks it is such an incriminating thing. I'm sure if anyone had the ability to get a copy of their physiology final and not get caught, they would do it. That's "cheating" too, but if I'm sure if it was right in front of you, you would still look at it, even if you had "good" morals and wanted to "prove" you could do it.

That last part wasn't directed at you floss floss, just the thread members in general.

Thanks to whoever resurrected this older post. It's informative and a good read. Something to consider.

Those who take Adderall are abusing a drug for personal gain.

Half of the people I have heard take Adderall still do pretty poorly on their exams.

To anyone considering taking Adderall in the future, I leave you with this. Anything worth anything to you in life requies hardword, dedication, commitment, and sacrifice. Taking Adderall negates nearly all of this.

Not undermining your hard work or success, but what is the big problem with adderall? Some people on here seem to think it is such a terrible thing to use, or such a weakness to use it... I don't really get it? If it helps you and you can legally get it, what is the problem?

My uncle is an MD and the vp of the leading cancer treatment company for rare cancer types in the US. He takes adderall daily, simply because he is diagnosed with ADHD and it helps him with work and research. I'm not sure why you think you are too good for it? Once again, I respect your determination to deal with your "disadvantages" on your own and overcome your struggles in life. I am not trying to put you down or insist upon you taking it or anything, just wondering what so many people have against it?

It's like everyone thinks it is such an incriminating thing. I'm sure if anyone had the ability to get a copy of their physiology final and not get caught, they would do it. That's "cheating" too, but if I'm sure if it was right in front of you, you would still look at it, even if you had "good" morals and wanted to "prove" you could do it.

That last part wasn't directed at you floss floss, just the thread members in general.
I think you misunderstood my post. Apologies for being unclear. I was saying that whether people use Adderall or not I don't care, because it doesn't affect me. I control my own studies and future, and whether or not other people use Adderall shouldn't "ruin me" like the op mentioned. And then I implied that Adderall isn't cheating because if you're dumb to start with then Adderall isn't going to help you.

I think that they're talking about people who feign symptoms to acquire the drug, not necessarily those who have a legitimate need and take it for that. The latter is acceptable in my opinion because it would be pharmacotherapy for an actual issue.

Adderall is a Class II drug, meaning that it's in the most secure schedule that can still be prescribed to patients (opiates are in this category, for context). It has some God-awful side effects, especially if you take an MAOI anti-depressant or stomach acid medication.

A fun fact, though- Vitamin C completely screws up the dynamics of the drug. So, if you really want to knock out some gunner knees- hand out orange juice to your colleagues before the test. :prof:

I don't really have the compulsion to look at a test on the desk; to me, if I can't hack it without cheating, I can't hack it. That's okay, there's other things out there- but if you can't hack it without assistance you don't need, you weren't meant to do it. Sorry if that sounds crude, but that's my opinion. (Yes, and I've gotten some C's, I'm not like one of those 4.0 snowflakes talking down to people either.)

Also, I don't consider myself "too good" for medication; but I don't present symptoms of ADHD. It'd be like giving someone who wasn't depressed Lithium- which would be excessive at best and downright dangerous for their health at worst.

I honestly haven't tried it myself yet but if it lets me save 3 lives instead of 2 isn't that worth more than my pride? Isn't quality of life of the patient what's supposed to matter most?

I honestly haven't tried it myself yet but if it lets me save 3 lives instead of 2 isn't that worth more than my pride? Isn't quality of life of the patient what's supposed to matter most?

1. Saving someone's life and QOL are 2 very different things.
2. Adderall will not make or break you saving someone's life.
3. Regardless of #2, the end does not justify the means.

"A fun fact, though- Vitamin C completely screws up the dynamics of the drug. So, if you really want to knock out some gunner knees- hand out orange juice to your colleagues before the test. :prof:

Dynamics would be unaffected. By then the drug has been absorbed and distributed systemically. Kinetics (absorption, in this case), would still only be affected if they were co-administered.

1. Saving someone's life and QOL are 2 very different things.
2. Adderall will not make or break you saving someone's life.
3. Regardless of #2, the end does not justify the means.

Lolz... did u really just say that??? Ur right, I wouldn't take adderall if it meant saving someone's life either...

Haha this is so strange to me. It's amazing how most of you are truely, whole heartedly against adderall, and condemn those who take it. Im not at all saying that I approve the use of Adderall recreationally, or by non-prescribed people, but if used occasionally in a controlled dosage, for the "right" reasons (to help someone's success), I do not think it is that horrible of a thing. And I have not done in depth research about the occasional use of Adderall at a low dosage, but I don't really think it could be that bad for someone's health. But of course I actually have no idea, so forget that...

I guess that this is just my opinion and I just look at it a little differently, and I shouldn't be taken back by the way some look at it so negatively. To each his own and I understand why it is frowned upon, I just didn't consider it a big deal if used in a controlled way for the "right" reasons. Because I don't know about the rest of you and your universities, but where I go to school, it is used rather frequently by a good amount of people come finals time.

I'm assuming OP doesn't drink caffeine due to it being a stimulant.

And wears magic underwear.
Etc.

Lolz... did u really just say that??? Ur right, I wouldn't take adderall if it meant saving someone's life either...

Haha this is so strange to me. It's amazing how most of you are truely, whole heartedly against adderall, and condemn those who take it. Im not at all saying that I approve the use of Adderall recreationally, or by non-prescribed people, but if used occasionally in a controlled dosage, for the "right" reasons (to help someone's success), I do not think it is that horrible of a thing. And I have not done in depth research about the occasional use of Adderall at a low dosage, but I don't really think it could be that bad for someone's health. But of course I actually have no idea, so forget that...

I guess that this is just my opinion and I just look at it a little differently, and I shouldn't be taken back by the way some look at it so negatively. To each his own and I understand why it is frowned upon, I just didn't consider it a big deal if used in a controlled way for the "right" reasons. Because I don't know about the rest of you and your universities, but where I go to school, it is used rather frequently by a good amount of people come finals time.
yea but you don't know the dosage because it wasn't prescribed specifically to you + it's a controlled substance (it's in the amphetamine class just like...meth w/ cocaine producing similar effect but through a different MOA) = drug abuser

i doubt you know your own body's surface area for determining the dosage or if you have any contraindications

plus you have an advantage not shared by others = cheating

if you abuse adderall to focus, you're weak
if you smoke to relieve stress, you're weak

Eh, drug abuser is a bit excessive. Yes, it is illegal, but so are a lot of things that people do on a daily basis.

Maybe it is cheating, but others technically do have the advantage if they are okay with the risks involved.

Whatever, haha, this is a pointless argument. I was just interested by the fact that most people on here are very opposed to it, where as I feel like it is a common thing taken by a decent portion of the students at most schools.

Hi, :) I'm pre-med so roll with me for a sec.

If someone were prescribed adderall by their physician, then its not cheating. It's perfectly fine.
If someone bought it illegally without a prescription, then it's somewhat similar to cheating and its still full-blown illegal.

Best of Luck, hope you do well. Never give up.

What's your stance on medical marijuana?

Go to dr. and get a Rx it's ok, If not, illegal?

Ergo, anyone that happens to live in a state without medical weed is not suffering an illness, they're a de facto criminal.

This is for all you naysayers out there...

Johnny loved working out. He always stayed in the gym hours on end, ate right, and made sure that he slept enough. He spent a lot of time in the gym and he loved it! One day, Johnny decided to participate in his first ever weight lifting competition. One day in the gym locker room, a man offered Johnny some tetrahydrogestrinone, an illegal anabolic steroid. Johnny knew that they were illegal, but wanted to win his first competition!

Johnny ended up winning his competition. Never had Johnny had something like this come so easy to him! Before Johnny knew it, he was hooked on the seemingly great effects of tetrahydrogestrinone while being completely unaware of potential side effects. To Johnny's dismay, he lost his next weight lifting competition, coming in second place.

"BUT THAT'S OKAY!" said Johnny, "I'll just 'work' harder for the next competition!"

So Johnny worked harder, and juiced more, still unaware of the potential side effects of the drug, but what did Johnny care? He felt that he was reaching his goal! Then one day, Johnny's father found his secret stash of tetrahydrogestrinone under his bed. Johnny's father was heart broken. He used to be so happy for his son, only to realize that his own pride and joy was cheating and getting away with it. Johnny's father pondered for days before confronting Johnny, thinking "what did I do wrong? I never raised my son to take the easy way out."

The next week, Johnny failed a piss test and was banned from participating in all future competitions.

When finally caught, Johnny vowed to never take tetrahydrogestrinone again. A few months passed and he still went to the gym. The only thing different was that he wasn't shooting up tetrahydrogestrinone. Johnny noticed that he was quickly loosing muscle mass! All of his months of "hard work" was disappearing before his very eyes. Nearly a year later, Johnny saw that he was weighing in right at about where he started before taking tetrahydrogestrinone. Not only did Johnny become branded as a cheater, banned from competition, and loose the trust of those who loved him the most, but soon realized that taking tetrahydrogestrinone actually put him back because at the end, he didn't gain much of anything.

yea but you don't know the dosage because it wasn't prescribed specifically to you + it's a controlled substance (it's in the amphetamine class just like...meth w/ cocaine producing similar effect but through a different MOA) = drug abuser

i doubt you know your own body's surface area for determining the dosage or if you have any contraindications

plus you have an advantage not shared by others = cheating

if you abuse adderall to focus, you're weak
if you smoke to relieve stress, you're weak

If you care what other people do, you're weak.

This is for all you naysayers out there...

Johnny loved working out. He always stayed in the gym hours on end, ate right, and made sure that he slept enough. He spent a lot of time in the gym and he loved it! One day, Johnny decided to participate in his first ever weight lifting competition. One day in the gym locker room, a man offered Johnny some tetrahydrogestrinone, an illegal anabolic steroid. Johnny knew that they were illegal, but wanted to win his first competition!

Johnny ended up winning his competition. Never had Johnny had something like this come so easy to him! Before Johnny knew it, he was hooked on the seemingly great effects of tetrahydrogestrinone while being completely unaware of potential side effects. To Johnny's dismay, he lost his next weight lifting competition, coming in second place.

"BUT THAT'S OKAY!" said Johnny, "I'll just 'work' harder for the next competition!"

So Johnny worked harder, and juiced more, still unaware of the potential side effects of the drug, but what did Johnny care? He felt that he was reaching his goal! Then one day, Johnny's father found his secret stash of tetrahydrogestrinone under his bed. Johnny's father was heart broken. He used to be so happy for his son, only to realize that his own pride and joy was cheating and getting away with it. Johnny's father pondered for days before confronting Johnny, thinking "what did I do wrong? I never raised my son to take the easy way out."

The next week, Johnny failed a piss test and was banned from participating in all future competitions.

When finally caught, Johnny vowed to never take tetrahydrogestrinone again. A few months passed and he still went to the gym. The only thing different was that he wasn't shooting up tetrahydrogestrinone. Johnny noticed that he was quickly loosing muscle mass! All of his months of "hard work" was disappearing before his very eyes. Nearly a year later, Johnny saw that he was weighing in right at about where he started before taking tetrahydrogestrinone. Not only did Johnny become branded as a cheater, banned from competition, and loose the trust of those who loved him the most, but soon realized that taking tetrahydrogestrinone actually put him back because at the end, he didn't gain much of anything.

Except the purpose of weightlifting is to compete with your peers. The purpose of a health care professional is to provide top notch care to the patient. The purpose of an academic is to advance science and solve local and global challenges.

If you really think the purpose of dental/med school is to compete with your peers I don't know what to say.

Except the purpose of weightlifting is to compete with your peers. The purpose of a health care professional is to provide top notch care to the patient. The purpose of an academic is to advance science and solve local and global challenges.

If you really think the purpose of dental/med school is to compete with your peers I don't know what to say.

Exactly what I was going to say, but just thought I'd let it be cause there clearly won't be an agreement. People really shouldn't be concerned with what others do, if taking adderall helps someone get an A on a test, then good for them. But they aren't "weak" if they took it. And if your all working towards the same thing, helping others with dental or medical problems, then you should be okay with someone who is doing something, illegal or not, for the sake of bettering others.

Now that undergrad is almost over for me, and the need to get straight As isn't as important, all I really care about is being able to provide the best dental care to my patients and to do quality work that the makes the patient pain free and happy. And if for some reason I, or anyone else for that matter, choose to take adderall every day, or never take a stimulant for the rest of my life, as long as I'm doing my best work, it doesn't matter how it gets done, just as long as it does.

I think this discussion is inappropriate for a pre-dental board, but gollllyyyyy I can't help but throw in my 2 cents.

Firstly, I would say to those stating, "Yes, definitely" or "No, definitely not", that the only wrong answer to OP's question is the one that is absolutely certain. "Cheating" and "fair" are very ambiguous and flexible words, but let's use the following definitions:

Cheat (v): "to act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination."
Fair :thumbdown:: "in accordance with the rules or standards; legitimate."

By applying the "rules" or laws governing medication dissemination, I can only come to the conclusions that (1) with a prescription for adderall, taking adderall is in not "cheating" and (2) taking adderall without a prescription is illegal, and therefore it is arguable that it may also be "cheating".

I do admit there are some interesting discussions here on the health and ethics of drug use altogether.

P.S. How come nobody thought my "get a room" joke a couple posts above was funny?!

Yes, taking Aderral if you do not medically need it is cheating.

If you do not think so, then you do not have the necessary moral fiber to be a practitioner whom has the ability to prescribe medicine. What happens in the future if you decide you want to prescribe yourself some Norco or Ativan just because you want it and it helps you in some way? You will have the ability to do so, and you will become a morally and ethically incompetent healthcare professional.

Dental school is very, very academically difficult. The DAT was invented to make sure that you are academically prepared to enter dental school. If you can't pass the test, you may not be able to pass the 52 other tests that you must take in dental school.

Last edited:
You can use other drugs to "improve" your academic performance.

Viagra gives an unfair advantage to old people who just want to have sex.

Reactions: 7 users
Exactly what I was going to say, but just thought I'd let it be cause there clearly won't be an agreement. People really shouldn't be concerned with what others do, if taking adderall helps someone get an A on a test, then good for them. But they aren't "weak" if they took it. And if your all working towards the same thing, helping others with dental or medical problems, then you should be okay with someone who is doing something, illegal or not, for the sake of bettering others.

Now that undergrad is almost over for me, and the need to get straight As isn't as important, all I really care about is being able to provide the best dental care to my patients and to do quality work that the makes the patient pain free and happy. And if for some reason I, or anyone else for that matter, choose to take adderall every day, or never take a stimulant for the rest of my life, as long as I'm doing my best work, it doesn't matter how it gets done, just as long as it does.

Disregarding the illegal prescription aspect, I get that it's technically not completely cheating if you still learn all the material and still give the best care. However, I hope you see that the process of getting to the end goal is just as important as the end goal itself. No one should be passing judgment on whether you're right or wrong for cutting corners, but you also shouldn't be ignorant of the path you took to get to where you are. It may just come back to haunt you later.

I completely agree that other people's performance should not affect your own when it comes to test taking, although when it comes to being a better dentist and taking other dentist's patients...there might be some validity in that but I won't go there. My point is, look at all the disgrace in our world today due to illegal performance enhancement. I'd rather be Derek Jeter than Alex Rodriguez any day.

Being pre-dental/dental/matriculating/etc. students, we have a common ground - we all wish to provide top care to the patient, (i would at least hope so.) Whether we admit it or not, we are in a competition with each other. I am sure that we have all heard countless times that applying to dental schools is a very competitive process. We rack up hours, volunteer, and maintain outstanding grades just for a chance of pursuing something that we love. In fact, our competition is so competitive, that people turn to "performance-enhancing" drugs, analogous to steroids.

I didn't do research and "volunteer" for the sole purpose of getting into dental school.

Paging @doc toothache. Perhaps, he can chime in. That, or he can pull a relevant excell spreadsheet out of his arse.

I actually only recently discovered that many people at my school take Adderall... such a shame! Definitely a form of cheating!

I would quit being so damn concerned about what others are doing. There will always be people who use some sort of "performance enhancer" (lol.. which is just stupid; its not like Adderall magically makes you spike to super genius IQ - otherwise we'd be tossing it out at parades like candy) illegal or not, and it happens in undergrad, it happens in grad school, and by golly it happens in the real day-to-day world. If they need it to achieve the same grades or motivation as you naturally already have - then they are the ones at a loss in the long run. This isn't elementary school - stop pointing fingers and finding excuses for reasons why someone may (or may not!) get into dental school over you. You can only be responsible for yourself so quit bellyaching over situations beyond your control.

'For a person with ADHD, taking a medication like Adderall doesn’t make them into super-intelligent nerds. It simply brings their brain functioning closer to “normal."'

Some recent and relative stats on non-ADHD ivy league college students: http://www.abstracts2view.com/pas/view.php?nu=PAS14L1_1675.7&terms= About 1 in 5 had taken prescription stimulant medications. Like the above poster said, it exists and it doesn't have to affect you.