Adderall to do it all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLACKMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard a ton of premed students are flocking to local shrinks seeking Adderall. I conducted my own online research and it's stunning how many really depend on this. So, here is the question, what substances (if any) do you use to pull the grades? I've used caffeine pills plenty but never a script. I can't come here and say I've never thought of it though. So, rather than breaking laws, lying to the medical community I expect to join, what other tangible substances boost performance?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Green tea helps me focus a lot.

That's my point though, I have to be up at 430am. Don't get to bed til after 11. And that's just not enough for me. So, what to do when you don't have a choice?

I drink my own urine

Reactions: 1 users
I use coffee. Lots of coffee. I get as much sleep as my schedule allows (which is not enough) and I enjoy a good meal once a week. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do if you don't want to do any of the things you mentioned. Just find some stuff that makes you happy to relieve stress.

Above all else, manage your time wisely. That will do wonders.

+1
This same type of schedule and structure is what's getting me through right now.

I agree with the exercising if you don't already do so. I know it seems like going too much out of the way sometimes, but you would be surprised how much better you perform with some small daily exercise routine. I like jogging for 30-60 min and I manage it just fine with 20+ units and a part-time job. A quick 10 min shower and then you're good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard a ton of premed students are flocking to local shrinks seeking Adderall. I conducted my own online research and it's stunning how many really depend on this. So, here is the question, what substances (if any) do you use to pull the grades? I've used caffeine pills plenty but never a script. I can't come here and say I've never thought of it though. So, rather than breaking laws, lying to the medical community I expect to join, what other tangible substances boost performance?
It depends, a pre-workout(caffeine, Methylhexanamine, etc....), propofol, and molly's. Jk

In all seriousness, if I'm nervous I take something to calm down my nerves (legal stuff) and to study for a big test some nootropics.

I eat healthy, exercise and sleep at least 7 hours a night. Nothing else is needed.

I work out on a regular basis to relieve stress, try and sleep at least 6 hours (which seems to be my minimum for being able to function normally without caffeine), manage my time well, and drink coffee if I don't manage to get enough sleep.

So basically what everyone else has said. Sleep, time management, whatever exercise you enjoy, and keeping room in your schedule for at least a little bit of down time each week to keep yourself sane.

As science majors who in their right mind would abuse adderall?

As science majors who in their right mind would abuse adderall?

Most of the pre-meds at the school I attend. I will study with acquaintances from class, from time to time, but I walk out the door when they break out the study drugs.

I agree it's nuts to use them, though. I think for people who have never had a severely disrupted sleep/wake cycle before, they may not realize quite how profoundly it can screw up your life to go 48 hours+ without sleep multiple times in a month; there's a lot of this, "I'm young and have always been healthy and therefore I will always be healthy because I'm invincible," attitude.

I've heard of this but through my entire 4 years of undergrad I never once witnessed anyone taking these "study drugs." Makes me wonder how many pre-meds actually do this kind of thing. I bet it's a lot more rare than you guys are making it seem, but I don't really know.

For me, getting enough sleep was my biggest key for studying well, and KNOWING WHEN TO TAKE BREAKS.

It depends, a pre-workout(caffeine, Methylhexanamine, etc....), propofol, and molly's. Jk

In all seriousness, if I'm nervous I take something to calm down my nerves (legal stuff) and to study for a big test some nootropics.

Yeah nootropics is a good way to go. I take piracetam sometimes.

I've heard of this but through my entire 4 years of undergrad I never once witnessed anyone taking these "study drugs." Makes me wonder how many pre-meds actually do this kind of thing. I bet it's a lot more rare than you guys are making it seem, but I don't really know.

For me, getting enough sleep was my biggest key for studying well, and KNOWING WHEN TO TAKE BREAKS.

I can say it really depends on the culture of the school, and of the major. I'm at my fourth undergrad school (yes, I know) and this is the first place I've been where people are openly taking study drugs, and talking about it in common conversation. I'd say a sizeable minority of students here take study drugs. AT the other schools I attended, while I'm sure it happened now and again, I never heard of it or saw it, and it wasn't spoken of openly.

The right attitude, motivation, and being around supportive people helps me more than anything else. A lot of this chemical stuff can do more harm than good.

Last edited:

I'm not a premed yet, but I do take Adderall... It really helps me focus and stay on task. I'm like a totally different person.... I have ADHD though ;)

How easy is it to get a script really though? You'd think doctors would be hesitiant to prescribe this to early 20 somethings pursuing rigorous academic goals. There are some anti depressants I'm prescribed that have adderal like effects, but I dont think I could get aderall.
It's easy. I got a script my sophomore year of college and now, four years later, I am legitimately addicted to the stuff. I take it as prescribed every day, and RARELY miss a day. My sleep is ****, but I feel useless if I don't take it. It's exactly like the old trope of starting off great but soon needing it to be baseline.

That being said, I actually just switched antidepressants to wellbutrin xr, and it has done amazing things for the "addicted" feeling. It's an atypical antidepressant that has stimulant effects, to those of you who aren't familiar, and for the first time in four years I sometimes forget to take the adderall in the morning when I remember the wellbutrin. It gives me some hope.

Also, when I first started taking it, I developed an eating disorder and ended up at 82 lbs before my family sought intervention. The crazy thing was, the doctor still prescribed my adderall. Also something to think about for anyone considering getting a script.

But yes, sleep is by far the biggest problem. It's not worth it ultimately.

I'm a big coffee drinker as well, so between that, addy, and wellbutrin, I am afraid for my heart. Also not willing to stop now, right before medical school. If that sounds like an addict thing to say, well, yeah. That's what the stuff does to you.

Anyway, I have a lot of experience experimenting with different things to help me sleep. Marijuana worked great but got me in huuuuuge disciplinary trouble with my school. I used to try benadryl (diphenhydramine) but I've found that UniSom (generic WalSom, doxylamine succinate) and it actually helps WAY more than benadryl ever did.

I will say I'm glad I never ventured into the ambien territory. My boyfriend used to take it to help him sleep after coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan, but instead he used to black out and cook these elaborate meals for his parents and wake up confused about all the dishes.

I guess there are worse things he could have done, but I'm glad he stopped. He found the icky sticky to be the most reliable sleep aid as well. Still does, actually, and likes to laugh at me for having to quit due to working at a hospital/generally not wanting to screw my life up any more than I already have with it.

For those that have ADHD, I guess adderall makes sense, but otherwise, meh. I've always tried "focusing"...seems to do the trick. wonder why...

Did you do undergrad from your computer at home?

jk, but really, I thought the stuff was ubiquitous by now

Coffee, green tea, exercise, and sleep. Becoming dependent on adderral isn't going to help you in the long run.

Sure you can take Adderall to help with studying but there's no reason to unless you actually have ADHD. I've gotten through fine with 7+ hours of sleep a night, going to the gym or climbing 3x a week, and plenty of black coffee. There's nothing so demanding as a pre-med that you NEED amphetamines to get through. Manage your time well and you can fit plenty of other things into your life as a pre-med without surviving on Adderall or 3 hours of sleep a night.

Sure you can take Adderall to help with studying but there's no reason to unless you actually have ADHD. I've gotten through fine with 7+ hours of sleep a night, going to the gym or climbing 3x a week, and plenty of black coffee. There's nothing so demanding as a pre-med that you NEED amphetamines to get through. Manage your time well and you can fit plenty of other things into your life as a pre-med without surviving on Adderall or 3 hours of sleep a night.

Yeah, exactly. Frankly, the people that are having to resort to Adderall to get through the pre-med curriculum have absolutely zero chance of doing anything impressive in med school. The people that have to study 12 hours a day and never sleep AND take drugs and all that silliness to get through the pre-med curriculum are really going to have an uphill battle for all of med school and should seriously reconsider whether you have the ability to handle the medical curriculum.

Yeah, exactly. Frankly, the people that are having to resort to Adderall to get through the pre-med curriculum have absolutely zero chance of doing anything impressive in med school. The people that have to study 12 hours a day and never sleep AND take drugs and all that silliness to get through the pre-med curriculum are really going to have an uphill battle for all of med school and should seriously reconsider whether you have the ability to handle the medical curriculum.
Adderall doesn't make you smarter. Neither does not taking adderall.

Reactions: 4 users
Adderall doesn't make you smarter. Neither does not taking adderall.

No, but from what I understand (and I lived with someone who used it infrequently), it WILL give you the ability to focus like nothing else and give you the power to go through marathon study sessions. My point is that there's no way you can possibly do that in medical school because it simply won't work. MAYBE for MS1 you can get by with that, but MS2 will be rough and step 1 will be impossible.

I understand that amphetamines are not "super drugs." However, their use is a symptom of a larger problem: the inability to hack it through the college experience on your own merit and ability.

This

Ehhh, yes and no. I took it as prescribed every day, but I also had a ton of friends who took it with varying degrees of irresponsibility -- some would pop an XR if they wanted to spend the entire day in the library, and others would literally snort lines in the library at 3 am if they were cramming for an exam. For the latter group, yes, I am inclined to believe they would not hack it in med school, but they all happened to be Econ majors (go figure). For the people who took it once in a while for an extra study-boost, I don't think they were necessarily depending on it to compensate for academic shortcomings -- I think it was more of a lack of discipline thing. To some extent, that's how it started off for me. I was diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, depression; you could probably make an argument that the psychoactive effect it had on me might have mitigated some of the associated symptoms, but I felt like I was being lazy by taking it at first. Not pushing myself to study as hard without it, that is. But after time it became impossible to do without it; it's really addictive. By the end of maybe a year or two I was taking it to be baseline, whether or not I had to study, so I don't think (barring the first semester when I started taking it, developed an eating disorder, and somehow felt academically invincible) it ultimately gave me much of an edge that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

I guess it also depends on the culture of the school you went to. At my undergrad institution (the University of Rochester) it was rampant. STEM majors especially, but I also had friends who were lazy-ass frat boys with BS majors who would take it to finish a paper in a night that they had put off for a week.

Yeah, adderall was pretty rampant in my school as well and I have seen my fair share of it.

However to say someone who took adderall occasionally in undergrad will not be able to hack it in medical school is just plain ignorant.

Ehhh, yes and no. I took it as prescribed every day, but I also had a ton of friends who took it with varying degrees of irresponsibility -- some would pop an XR if they wanted to spend the entire day in the library, and others would literally snort lines in the library at 3 am if they were cramming for an exam. For the latter group, yes, I am inclined to believe they would not hack it in med school, but they all happened to be Econ majors (go figure). For the people who took it once in a while for an extra study-boost, I don't think they were necessarily depending on it to compensate for academic shortcomings -- I think it was more of a lack of discipline thing. To some extent, that's how it started off for me. I was diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, depression; you could probably make an argument that the psychoactive effect it had on me might have mitigated some of the associated symptoms, but I felt like I was being lazy by taking it at first. Not pushing myself to study as hard without it, that is. But after time it became impossible to do without it; it's really addictive. By the end of maybe a year or two I was taking it to be baseline, whether or not I had to study, so I don't think (barring the first semester when I started taking it, developed an eating disorder, and somehow felt academically invincible) it ultimately gave me much of an edge that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

I guess it also depends on the culture of the school you went to. At my undergrad institution (the University of Rochester) it was rampant. STEM majors especially, but I also had friends who were lazy-ass frat boys with BS majors who would take it to finish a paper in a night that they had put off for a week.

I agree: there are too many variables. I have gone to a few different undergrad. institutions and there is a vast difference between all of them. Some I didn't have to study to get a 4.0 and others I have had to study like I've never studied before to make it above the median.

To make broad generalizations about what a person can or cannot do or will or will not do simply through speculation and extrapolation of what they think they know concerning someones behavior, is oversimplifying this too much. I think it's hard to say, with any degree of accuracy, how a person will perform in medical school-I think that you guys know how you have done and are trying to apply personal experience to others situations but this truly has no bearing whatsoever.

I made it through college without caffeine or prescription medications. If you're going to cheat, why not actually cheat?

I agree: there are too many variables. I have gone to a few different undergrad. institutions and there is a vast difference between all of them. Some I didn't have to study to get a 4.0 and others I have had to study like I've never studied before to make it above the median.

To make broad generalizations about what a person can or cannot do or will or will not do simply through speculation and extrapolation of what they think they know concerning someones behavior, is oversimplifying this too much. I think it's hard to say, with any degree of accuracy, how a person will perform in medical school-I think that you guys know how you have done and are trying to apply personal experience to others situations but this truly has no bearing whatsoever.

:thumbup: I could not have said it any better myself.

Coffee, green tea, exercise, and sleep. Becoming dependent on adderral isn't going to help you in the long run.

There is much irony in this statement. I'm not saying you are right or wrong, I'm neutral on the subject. But isn't becoming dependent on adderall the same as becoming dependent on coffee?

In my experience the people who feel they 'need' adderall to get stuff done are the same people that feel they need recreational drugs or alcohol to have a good time. I'm not being a prude but I think that it speaks to a deep self-confidence issue

There is much irony in this statement. I'm not saying you are right or wrong, I'm neutral on the subject. But isn't becoming dependent on adderall the same as becoming dependent on coffee?

No, because the difference in dependance symptoms is the difference between night and day.

No, because the difference in dependance symptoms is the difference between night and day.

What dependence symptoms are you reffering to? Its my understanding that both subtances, taken as directed (or prescribed in the case of adderall) will only cause minimal levels of dependence (this is in regards to chronic users of both substances).

Of course there is variability between educations at different institutions - no one is disagreeing with that. And of course there are inherent differences in how people study and how much time they have to spend studying to achieve at a given level. My point was that if you are genuinely putting forth maximum effort, studying 12+ hours per day, sacrificing sleep, not doing anything else, and you still can't get a somewhat decent GPA (3+), I would seriously worry about your performance in med school. I'm not saying it's impossible for them to do well, and I'm not saying they shouldn't become or will become bad physicians. What I'm saying is that people should be realistic and understand that medical school is essentially an endurance test combined with testing your ability to quickly synthesize huge gobs of information. Doing poorly despite your best effort during undergrad is a warning sign - not a prophesy - that you might want to rethink if you'll be able to get through the medical curriculum.

At the end of the day this discussion is somewhat irrelevant as you won't be accepted to medical school if there's any doubt about your ability to get through it. Obviously if you get accepted a school clearly thought you were prepared and ready to handle med school; at that point any markers of your "ability" don't matter.

Sent from my Nexus 7