adderall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon9721

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
have any predents out there ever used adderall to cram before a test or just to get some extra study motivation?

am i even spelling it right?

i personally won't pass judgement on usage, just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

have any predents out there ever used adderall to cram before a test or just to get some extra study motivation?

Is that an OTC drug? I personally wouldn't use it. .. numerous side effects: can either ruin your sleep cycle, put you on highs and lows or drain your $$$. Best prescription is time management.

it's a prescription drug for people with attention deficit disorder.
i've heard of people buying it from others for as much as 10 bucks a pill!

Members don't see this ad :)
it's a prescription drug for people with attention deficit disorder.
i've heard of people buying it from others for as much as 10 bucks a pill!

I guess like ritalin. For ADD or ADHD

Most people I know use it, but i'm scared

I think it's an amphetamine...(spelling?)

I've never used adderall to study, nor have I ever drank coffee to study. But I've seen the effects of them on my friends during college.

I'm already too energetic and hyper. ;)

Doesn't it seem like those two substances are contradicting each other? One keeps you "calm" and the other increases your anxiety and physical stamina? :rolleyes: Just a thought.

But if it works for people, it works for people. Not for me. :cool:

if you have adhd then adderall "calms" you down
if you don't have adhd then adderall "jacks" you up, which is why ppl w/o adhd use it as a stimulant

if you don't have adhd then adderall "jacks" you up, which is why ppl w/o adhd use it as a stimulant

right, i've heard of people using it to focus more while studying. and i've also heard people use it so they could party all night. the latter seems way worse, combining medication (which you dind't have in the first place) with alcohol.

Oh, wow! That's hot. Thanks.:)

I tried it once about 3-4 years ago to study for a big test. It was supposed to help me focus and study productively for 12 hours straight or something. All it did was make me the most friendly, talkative person. I don't think I studied for more than 15 minutes, but I made about 30 new friends that day...:D Point being it doesn't work for everyone and I haven't tried it since then. I would drink Rockstar if you need to focus on studying. I swear they put something in it though.

Oh, wow! That's hot. Thanks.:)

hey, i am NOT endorsing its usage, just letting you know how it typically works.;) just for the record, i haven't used it.

btw, are you paris hilton? j/k :D

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i am NOT endorsing its usage, just letting you know how it typically works.;) just for the record, i haven't used it.

btw, are you paris hilton? j/k :D

Hahaha! No, don't worry, I don't take drugs to study, and you're not endorsing it. :laugh: I wasn't aware of that effect of adderall. I just have a few friends who have access to this, even if it wasn't prescribed to them...maybe I shouldn't say that here, but it's common in college.

Not Paris, she took that from me. :cool:

Oh yeah..Lots of people studying for the DAT take it..it really helps a lot

I tried it once about 3-4 years ago to study for a big test. It was supposed to help me focus and study productively for 12 hours straight or something. All it did was make me the most friendly, talkative person. I don't think I studied for more than 15 minutes, but I made about 30 new friends that day...:D Point being it doesn't work for everyone and I haven't tried it since then. I would drink Rockstar if you need to focus on studying. I swear they put something in it though.

lol u are so funny!

Sorry boys, that drug was banned a couple years ago by the FDA and it couldn't be sold in the US. Turns out, it killed children...which was - needless to say - a problem.

(maybe the ban was lifted since I last checked, thou)

Sorry boys, that drug was banned a couple years ago by the FDA and it couldn't be sold in the US. Turns out, it killed children...which was - needless to say - a problem.

Lol, where do you get that info from. Aderol is not a banned substance and it's not even for children.

I have friends who've filled Rx for it recently (maybe 6 months ago).

It's more like crack than Ritalin really. You lose a lot weight, hardly eat, and have tons of energy.

Oh nevermind then.

crack? it must affect other people differently then. it curbs your appetite for sure though.

Lol, where do you get that info from. Aderol is not a banned substance and it's not even for children.

It's more like crack than Ritalin really. You lose a lot weight, hardly eat, and have tons of energy.

yea, there was a FDA article on it. at the time, I noticed every online pharmacy refused to sell it, and it was taken off the shelf at the pharmacies around here. I remember the article saying that only about 5 kids were killed, but the FDA deemed it (at the time, at least) to be significant enough to take it off the market at the time. However, they DID note that the deaths were due to ABUSE of the drug.

Maybe the FDA reversed their decision. Who knows?

And if your pharmacist friend filled out prescriptions during that time for that drug, she'd be wise to not boast that around!!!

yea, there was a FDA article on it. at the time, I noticed every online pharmacy refused to sell it, and it was taken off the shelf at the pharmacies around here. I remember the article saying that only about 5 kids were killed, but the FDA deemed it (at the time, at least) to be significant enough to take it off the market at the time. However, they DID note that the deaths were due to ABUSE of the drug.

Maybe the FDA reversed their decision. Who knows?

And if your pharmacist friend filled out prescriptions during that time for that drug, she'd be wise to not boast that around!!!

Oh, it wasn't a pharmacist, she was a drug rep.. so I doubt it was "banned" during that time. Maybe it was location specific?

Oh, it wasn't a pharmacist, she was a drug rep.. so I doubt it was "banned" during that time. Maybe it was location specific?

yea, the article said it was specific to the US. I found it for sale online in Canada. But who knows? It's just an article I read published by the FDA. maybe the FDA's full of crap.

I remember reading the article, then asked a friend of mine. She said she JUST had her refill done. So...yeah. Who knows?!?! Maybe news travels slowly. But regardless, some children died from aderol ABUSE. So no matter how you cut it, don't ABUSE the drug!!!

My friend has a script for it (adderrall) and has been taking it for the last 4 years that I've known him at college. He also took it in high school and maybe beyond.

adderall and ritalin are basically the same thing. I've used ritalin twice and adderall once. The best explanation of their effects is that they make you want to learn more. I found myself reading a genetics book and WANTING to read more. I don't like people who use it while drinking to stay up and party longer, i think that is ******ed. also, i don't use it anymore, and don't recommend it. It gives you diarhea.

The effects and side effects are different for everyone. My doc put me on adderall and I could only handle it for a little while. Two hours after I took the pill I felt REALLY good...something to the effect of being high. I have never been so I wouldn't know. Then at roughly 3 hours after taking the pill, I completely crashed...I couldn't pay attention to anything...I felt like crap. It was crazy though, I couldn't keep my mouth shut, I was always extremely "antsy" to talk...it didn't matter what I was saying...just as long as I was talking. Very wierd!

This happened for both Ritalin and Adderall. I have never been a person to wake up when my alarm goes off, but when I was on those drugs, I was up and out of bed at the first note. They both made me sweat uncontrollably and gave me horrible tremors. I was also on Concerta which is an XR version of Ritalin...same active ingredient, methylphenidate. Adderall is an amphetamine and methylphenidate is a CNS stimulant.

They are both schedule 2 controlled substances which means they have a high risk of abuse yet are used in the medical field. There are no refills on these drugs without seeing your doc again. Cocaine, methamphetamine, and PCP are all schedule 2 controlled substances to give you an idea.

I never finished my Rx's so I just flushed the pills...no need to risk it.

The ramifications?
"The federal penalty for the manufacture, sale or distribution of small amounts of Schedule I and II drugs, for the first offense, is from five to 40 years imprisonment and/or not more than a two million dollar fine for an individual (where death or serious injury occurs, not less than 20 years imprisonment and not more than life imprisonment); for a second offense, not less than 10 years imprisonment and not more than life and/or a fine of not less than four million dollars for an individual (where death or serious injury occurs, not less than life imprisonment). Penalties are doubled in many cases for the manufacture, sale or distribution of larger amounts of Schedule I and II drugs."

taken from: http://www.drexel.edu/studentlife/drugfreeschools/lawsgoverningdrugs.htm

I hope this helps someone...

The effects and side effects are different for everyone. My doc put me on adderall and I could only handle it for a little while. Two hours after I took the pill I felt REALLY good...something to the effect of being high. I have never been so I wouldn't know. Then at roughly 3 hours after taking the pill, I completely crashed...I couldn't pay attention to anything...I felt like crap. It was crazy though, I couldn't keep my mouth shut, I was always extremely "antsy" to talk...it didn't matter what I was saying...just as long as I was talking. Very wierd!

This happened for both Ritalin and Adderall. I have never been a person to wake up when my alarm goes off, but when I was on those drugs, I was up and out of bed at the first note. They both made me sweat uncontrollably and gave me horrible tremors. I was also on Concerta which is an XR version of Ritalin...same active ingredient, methylphenidate. Adderall is an amphetamine and methylphenidate is a CNS stimulant.

They are both schedule 2 controlled substances which means they have a high risk of abuse yet are used in the medical field. There are no refills on these drugs without seeing your doc again. Cocaine, methamphetamine, and PCP are all schedule 2 controlled substances to give you an idea.

The ramifications?
"The federal penalty for the manufacture, sale or distribution of small amounts of Schedule I and II drugs, for the first offense, is from five to 40 years imprisonment and/or not more than a two million dollar fine for an individual (where death or serious injury occurs, not less than 20 years imprisonment and not more than life imprisonment); for a second offense, not less than 10 years imprisonment and not more than life and/or a fine of not less than four million dollars for an individual (where death or serious injury occurs, not less than life imprisonment). Penalties are doubled in many cases for the manufacture, sale or distribution of larger amounts of Schedule I and II drugs."

taken from: http://www.drexel.edu/studentlife/drugfreeschools/lawsgoverningdrugs.htm

I hope this helps someone...

Yep, yep, just like all drugs that put you on a "high" ritalin and adderall also puts you on a "low". The amount that you will accomplish by taking the drug is the amount of time you would squander once you crash. Symptoms aside, you'll grow dependent on these prescription drugs and feel like you need it all the time just to survive (for exams). Bad idea to start in the first place.

These ADD/ADHD drugs affect your brain the SAME way as cocaine unless you have ADD/ADHD. That's why they're regulated. IF you're abusing , (ie taking it without a prescription) you are basically on crack and you should be in jail. This whole thread is terrifying. Who would ever want to give you a prescription pad?

Wow, I don't think drugs would be very much fun. About 5 years ago, I was up late studying for an endocrinology exam and I took some OTC Vivarin. Just to be sure I was good and awake for the exam, I took another around 7am. The exam was at 8am. I couldn't focus, my heart was racing and my leg wouldn't stop shaking. I would never do that again, or anything else for that matter.

Provigil (modafinil) seems to be building a positive reputation as a study/concentration aid. It's actually one of the first drugs to yield clinical evidence that it improves memory (and possibly "intelligence").

A quick Google search on "modafinil smart drug" will pull up studies. It's supposed to be a lot safer than methlyphenidate, too.

Provigil (modafinil) seems to be building a positive reputation as a study/concentration aid. It's actually one of the first drugs to yield clinical evidence that it improves memory (and possibly "intelligence").

A quick Google search on "modafinil smart drug" will pull up studies. It's supposed to be a lot safer than methlyphenidate, too.

I googled it. It sounds good, however, it is a relatively new drug and is also a controlled substance (schedule 4) meaning that it might have the same addictive quality as street drugs. It also can cause a number of side effects, that are too numerous to list here

You're right about it being a controlled substance like Adderall; at least, though, drugs under schedule IV criteria "carry a low risk for dependency/abuse" (as opposed to drugs under schedule II, which carry a high risk).

A psych. gave me a sample packet of the stuff -- I'm saving these suckers for finals week!

It takes about an hour to kick-in (less if you take it on an empty stomach with liquid), but when it does, it makes you feel very sharp and "there." It's not really a razor-sharp focus, but the drug wakes you up and clears the cobwebs.

I've never taken any methylphenidate products, so I can't really compare the benefits. One of the most cited advantages to modafinil, though, is the physical/mental lack of a "crash." Modafinil doesn't stimulate release of dopamine, nor does it (usually) spike blood pressure.

Sorry -- I don't mean to hijack the thread into Adderall vs. Provigil territory. I just love the concept of Provigil (modafinil) and its so-far solid safety profile. Heck...the only side effect most people report is a headache during the second or third day of use.

It all depends how Adderall is used. For the record, it is very effective when used the correct way, for the correct people. The problem is abuse.... many are using it when not prescribed, and this is dangerous because if someone has an underlying heart condition or hypertension, is can be deadly. The other problem is that people are snorting it to get high/ wired. I know this because i graduated from college in 2002 and this was done so often by many people i know very well. Many of them had serious consequences from doing this! Only use it when prescribed! Otherwise go down a few red bulls or better yet a few red bulls and vodka!

It all depends how Adderall is used. For the record, it is very effective when used the correct way, for the correct people. The problem is abuse.... many are using it when not prescribed, and this is dangerous because if someone has an underlying heart condition or hypertension, is can be deadly. The other problem is that people are snorting it to get high/ wired. I know this because i graduated from college in 2002 and this was done so often by many people i know very well. Many of them had serious consequences from doing this! Only use it when prescribed! Otherwise go down a few red bulls or better yet a few red bulls and vodka!

Haha, red bull and vodka is just as bad if not worse for your heart...just had to state the obvious.

Haha, red bull and vodka is just as bad if not worse for your heart...just had to state the obvious.

Obviously, but that is better known to the person with heart issues. The fact that a person can take adderall and not realize it can really mess them up is what can do them in. If a person has an irregular heart beat, or other
heart anomalies, they usually know that stimulants are bad for them and that stimulants + alcohol are even worse!!

PS- I like your avatar, I'm a fellow Audi fanatic! S4 all the way!

The ramifications?

The water treatment plant probably does not screen for methylphenidate, thereby allowing the drug to pass into a creek and causing the fish to study harder.

ritallin and aderral are technically cocain in a pill!!! and if you wanna cram, all you need is espresso....which is basically, crack in a cup....

i say do coffee as it is less addictive....

on a side note: a better alternative to both is time management skills and daily studying....

This whole thread is terrifying. Who would ever want to give you a prescription pad?

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. No doctor who got through school by abusing Adderall has any moral standing to criticize drug seekers. It is, after all, rude to insult one's peers. :thumbdown:

ritallin and aderral are technically cocain in a pill!!! and if you wanna cram, all you need is espresso....which is basically, crack in a cup....

i say do coffee as it is less addictive....

on a side note: a better alternative to both is time management skills and daily studying....

Coffee the same as crack? You must have had some good coffee or some bad crack!:laugh:

How about aderol, vodka, and anti-freeze? It's proven to make marked improvements in brain damage.

I can't believe the ignorance in this thread, esp. since the posters are future dentists and prescription writers.

(1) Learn to spell the name of the drug in question. The original poster spelt it correctly, yet some people changed it to aderol.

(2)
aggie.teacher: IF you're abusing , (ie taking it without a prescription) you are basically on crack and you should be in jail.
What a foolish statement. Judging from your point of view I personally would not trust you in any sort of healthcare or law/drug policy making. Adderall is not crack, it is used by people of all ages to treat ADHD. It can also be used by people without ADHD (whether it is obtained via legal or illegal means). The difference is probably the % boost in focus and productivity (assuming you can quanitify it). It helps out the ADHD person much more than the non-ADHD person.

(3) Making generalizations without doing research is foolish as well. Saying "it kills children" or "it gives you headaches" is misleading. It has caused deaths and will continue to cause deaths, but only in rare cases when it is abused or if there are unforeseen complications. This is possible with any drug, period. Headache is one of many possible side effects. Side effects are differnet for everyone, just because you got a headache one time you did it doesn't mean everyone else does too.

(4) WIKIPEDIA.org, for the love of God. If you want a quick snapshot of something, anything please check out wikipedia first before you sound like a fool. However, don't use wikipedia as a hands down reliable source.

(5) Most of the posts in this thread are what I expected. I'd guess that most of the people on this board are smart and educated. Thus, most of the posters probably don't have ADHD, adn thus never needed adderall or ritalin. And with this inherent intelligence comes a certain ignorance to those less fortunate, obviously apparent in the posts in this thread. As with many dentists, some of the people on this board seem conservative and quick to pass judgement without doing research or knowing the facts.

Notice my use of the words "many, some, seem".

MY POINT
If you're going to be a dentist and write prescriptions you need to broaden your understanding and awareness of other peoples lives. Do your research and look at the big picture when forming your opinions. There is seldom such a thing as an ultimatum, but there is always some form of balance. I know this is PRE-dental forum, thus I think most of the posters aren't in dental school yet, thus not writing prescriptions.

For the record, I do not have ADHD nor do I use prescription or illegal drugs.

(5) Most of the posts in this thread are what I expected. I'd guess that most of the people on this board are smart and educated. Thus, most of the posters probably don't have ADHD, adn thus never needed adderall or ritalin. And with this inherent intelligence comes a certain ignorance to those less fortunate, obviously apparent in the posts in this thread. As with many dentists, some of the people on this board seem conservative and quick to pass judgement without doing research or knowing the facts.

So are you saying that if you have ADHD...you can't be smart and educated? Why don't you educate yourself, some of the brightest people out there have ADHD... do you think people who have this are less intelligent?

Coffee the same as crack? You must have had some good coffee or some bad crack!:laugh:

i meant that the stimulating effect of strong coffee is comparable to crack. however, i did mean literally what i said about aderral.

Status
Not open for further replies.