adderall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

testmaker05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just had a question about taking adderall before the DAT? Would it help with timing issues? I am taking a pratice dat now with it and I think I am doing real well but I almost feel like I am going slower (not sure if I just feel that way or if it is actually happening). Anyway I was just curious if anyone had any information that would help me make a decision on wheather to take it for the test or not. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't risk it. It might hurt you.
I had enough adrenaline in my body during the real test that was equivalent to a bottle of adderall. :D

Only if it's prescribed to you. So sick of hearing about students abusing drugs to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do whatever you have been doing with the practice tests. If you've been doing the practice tests w/o Adderall, don't switch it up. The DAT is not a test that you can really cram for, so you wont be needing the Adderall to stay awake, hopefully.

Do you consider those who take adderrall or other ADHD drugs, not prescribed to them, cheaters? I do.
Do you think it gives them an unfair advantage over those not prescribed and not taking it? I do.

It
was frustrating in undergrad to see inferior students get superior grades because of illicit drug usage. I am not on my soapbox, I dont judge others; just throwing two pennies.

Just stick to coffee and cigarettes.

Ok so I just finished my scores were
Bio-21
Chem-23
orgo-19
Qr-20
rc-16
Pat 21
My scores
were about the same ...a lot higher in chem averaging around 19 and maybe a little higher in QR but I ran out of time in both rc and QR. I was really focused during the practice test but I felt like I was taking more time than normal and might have had to reread some questions. Also found myself not giving up until I got the correct answer even though I knew I was taking too long (which was bad). And for PAT I was taking way to long luckily the keyhole and angle ranking are much easier on kaplan so I was able to catch up.

Ultimatley I am confused by the results because I did better than normal but I feel like I took too much time and it will hurt me on the actual DAT. I am not sure if it is just because I understand the material a lot better with each practice test I take or if the adderall actual had an effect on the better scores.

P.s. I wouldnt be craming I would just take it like a half an hour before the test so that I was more focused than normal

Do you consider those who take adderrall or other ADHD drugs, not prescribed to them, cheaters? I do.
Do you think it gives them an unfair advantage over those not prescribed and not taking it? I do.

It was frustrating in undergrad to see inferior students get superior grades because of illicit drug usage. I am not on my soapbox, I dont judge others; just throwing two pennies.

Do you really think that half the people prescribed aderall have "ADHD" I dont

I have taken aderall one time two years back and did not like it at all, so I never took it again. But honestly half the people i know that are prescribed aderall dont really have a problem so simply getting a prescription isn't sufficient enough to make it "okay" except in terms of the law and authorities. But really unfair advantage? All you should worry about is how much time you put into studying, because although many use aderall to stay up all night studying, they are still putting in that time to study! Its not some miracle pill that gives all the answers on exams. And if people choose to take it throughout there college life it is going to have some serious side effects later in life, so dont be bitter because later in life while you have a full functioning brain with ok grades, the other aderall addict has a great scholastic record but caant function right because of his addiction to an amphetamine.

OP: if you wanna use aderall go ahead but one of my close friends took it when he took the mcats and he said he regretted it because when your on it, sure you focus better, but he said that with that much pressure being on it actually negatively affected his focus during the real exam, so my advice is to stop taking it during your practice tests and simply doing it the old fasioned way with coffee and dedication, trust me the test is important enough to make you not lose focus!

Good luck

Last edited:
how did you finish a pratice test if you just posted this 2 hours ago?

Taking adderall during the DAT is cheating simply because you're misrepresenting your abilities to the dental schools you apply to. Unless you plan on railing adderall 24/7, 7, 365 throughout dental school, and consequently, throughout the rest of your career, you might as well be photoshopping official scores and sending them out.

I first posted in the middle of the test when i was done with the sciences and pat. I have put the time in studying I think my scores show that and I dont think it gave me any advantage as far as comming up with the answers I just wasnt sure if it I was taking more time to complete sections or just seemed like it by taking adderall.

I first posted in the middle of the test when i was done with the sciences and pat. I have put the time in studying I think my scores show that and I dont think it gave me any advantage as far as comming up with the answers I just wasnt sure if it I was taking more time to complete sections or just seemed like it by taking adderall.

First of all you are already off to a bad start you are supposed to take mock exams, to do exactly that! You cant take a break to go on SDN on the real thing!

Well theoretically you could but that would be a stupid way to use your break time lol

Change your study habits

Members don't see this ad :)
one word. Ethics.....

Probably not a good idea to take it if you're not used to taking it. some people use it to study. personally i think it's great to take it when studying for a midterm or final. not so great to take it during the test. plus you're going to be so ansty during the test you wouldn't need to take anything! good luck!

Thanks ... Ya I think I am really over analyzing things on the test and taking more time then I would if I wouldnt take it. I know the material its just I find myself taking too much time on RC and sometimes on the sciences when I take too long on a couple problems so I wanted to see if it would help with the time crunch but it seemed to make it a little worse since I had to reread questions. But thanks everyone for your impute.

sorry, I'm more blunt than previous posters, I have no respect for adderall users, no different than me picking up some meth off the street to cram the week before I test IMO

Although it may keep you focused for ten hours straight when you have to cram, taking it prior to an exam will hurt you imo, taking it releases lots of chemicals and you won't be yourself taking the test, your time management will be out of sync and you'll be tweaking, not necessary. Change those habits, never be dependent on anything unnatural.

Lame.. i had a friend who took adderall 2 months straight for MCAT.. he was constantly dehydrated, shaking... and by the week before the test.. his kidneys hurt... your choice. U want to go on adderall for 4 years in dental school? good luck with that.

taking adderall isn't cheating because there is nothing in the rules (i don't think) that say you cannot take drugs to "enhance your abilities". also there is nothing that says adderall helps those who don't suffer from adhd. i tried it once and stayed awake for 48+ hrs, was really figity and after i finally went to sleep and i woke up and felt like my heart was going to explode. it isn't cheating but it is very unhealthy, like any drug.

I love how many of the responses have nothing to do with what I posted.... "good luck taking it for 4 years str8 in dental school" give me a break and get a life or learn how to read .... I didnt say I was using it to study for all those that stated this .... all I was saying was that I was going to take it before the test so I was more focused and maybe not have a time struggle with some of the sections.... I was asking for opinions on what ppl thought and how it would affect that situation .... thanks for those that responded to the actual post and I know some of you dont agree with taking adderall but really all of your posts are out of context and extremely exaggerated..... you are the str8 laced, uptight people that never try anything new/ really know how to have fun

WE GET IT. Performance enhancement with drugs sounds very familiar to anybody.

Last edited:
When you're getting your wisdom teeth pulled out, do you want a dentist that worked hard through school, and earned his way to become an oral surgeon, or do you want one that couldn't handle the stress and didn't have the motivation, so he/she had to use drugs to get there?

When you're getting your wisdom teeth pulled out, do you want a dentist that worked hard through school, and earned his way to become an oral surgeon, or do you want one that couldn't handle the stress and didn't have the motivation, so he/she had to use drugs to get there?

Well to be honest either way they learned the same information .... like everyone else is saying it isnt going to help you on the test, you either know it or you dont. So if they learned all the same information its going to depend on who has the better hand skills and does better work.

I've never taken Adderall, but I still don't understand why so many people are attacking the OP for even suggesting it...first of all, I know through a family friend who takes it that it is not hard to get a prescription for it. Second of all, the OP himself said that he was only planning on taking it on test day, not every study day leading up to it. One day is not going to get him addicted to the point where he needs to take it throughout dental school. We can all consider it cheating or whatnot, but as long as nothing is in the rules against it, there's nothing we can do about it.

I've never taken Adderall, but I still don't understand why so many people are attacking the OP for even suggesting it...first of all, I know through a family friend who takes it that it is not hard to get a prescription for it. Second of all, the OP himself said that he was only planning on taking it on test day, not every study day leading up to it. One day is not going to get him addicted to the point where he needs to take it throughout dental school. We can all consider it cheating or whatnot, but as long as nothing is in the rules against it, there's nothing we can do about it.

my sentiments exactly :thumbup:. personally, i tend to buy rockstars (zero carb) in bulk to keep me going.

do not take it b4 your test!

i use to take a concerta/adderall/strattera before my science final exams in undergrad and it worked against me because it would make me really paranoid and i would endup double checking when i normally would not (wasting time). it also made me freak out when I came across a question that i didn't know.

also, adhd drugs are terrible when i am taking math tests, because i would sometimes go through it too fast and make careless mistakes. but if your body is use to taking adhd drugs and you've been using it consistently on the practice tests then maybe it'll help you :thumbup:

i think it just seems like "you're going slower" than you actually are cuz you're just super focused. if you're that worried about it then try taking a pill that is a lower dosage <75mg.. lately i've been taking the 5hour/6hour nrg drinks in the small shot bottles. those work the best on me because they don't have much sugar at all and the vitamin B6 B12 really boost ur awareness

I love how many of the responses have nothing to do with what I posted.... "good luck taking it for 4 years str8 in dental school" give me a break and get a life or learn how to read .... I didnt say I was using it to study for all those that stated this .... all I was saying was that I was going to take it before the test so I was more focused and maybe not have a time struggle with some of the sections.... I was asking for opinions on what ppl thought and how it would affect that situation .... thanks for those that responded to the actual post and I know some of you dont agree with taking adderall but really all of your posts are out of context and extremely exaggerated..... you are the str8 laced, uptight people that never try anything new/ really know how to have fun

Well if you need to take some kind of enhancement for the DAT.. I can't imagine what you would do for the next 4 years in Dental school. There will be loads of stress heading your way, problems with being able to focus+time constraints.. if you need some kind of substance that wasn't created for your purpose.. then I don't agree on it. Simple as that. When you post something like this, you should have expected some negative responses to begin with. I dunno how this topic has to deal with "We're being uptight and we don't know how to have fun". We simply just don't agree and we commented on what we know and our opinions. It's a forum. Take it or leave it. :thumbup:

I want one of those Adderall. Where can I get that? It's not as strong as meth right?

taking adderall isn't cheating because there is nothing in the rules (i don't think) that say you cannot take drugs to "enhance your abilities". also there is nothing that says adderall helps those who don't suffer from adhd. i tried it once and stayed awake for 48+ hrs, was really figity and after i finally went to sleep and i woke up and felt like my heart was going to explode. it isn't cheating but it is very unhealthy, like any drug.

Thank you Barry Bonds.

. you are the str8 laced, uptight people that never try anything new/ really know how to have fun

lol the DAT isn't the time to try something new or have "fun" haha.

This is a bad idea in general. I remember the one and only time i took it was during my freshman year. I was studying for my Gen bio lab practical. I was learning the anatomy of a fetal pig. It took my about 5 hours to complete this one unit and the pig I drew look like it might have been done by an art master. A complete waste of time. from my experience it is NOT going to help with a timing issue. All it does is make you want to do something. It can quite possibly make you more nervous and if you quickly deplete your brain of much needed glucose (never hungry?) not to mention i could imagine a nice crash happening right around the QR section, the biggest timing-dependent section. If you want to put your future in the hands of a mixture of amphetamines (thats what adderall is) then good luck to you. :thumbdown:thumbdown

Study and have faith you can do it without a performance enhancing drug that won't really enhance your performance at all.

illegal drugs are ok, i don't like trying anything new, and I don't know how to have fun

i learned something new today :laugh:

lol the DAT isn't the time to try something new or have "fun" haha.

Best response to the "fun hating" comment.

I am against trying it, but definitely experiment with it before so you don't have the opposite effect occur and fail miserably.

This is a bad idea in general. I remember the one and only time i took it was during my freshman year. I was studying for my Gen bio lab practical. I was learning the anatomy of a fetal pig. It took my about 5 hours to complete this one unit and the pig I drew look like it might have been done by an art master. A complete waste of time. from my experience it is NOT going to help with a timing issue. All it does is make you want to do something. It can quite possibly make you more nervous and if you quickly deplete your brain of much needed glucose (never hungry?) not to mention i could imagine a nice crash happening right around the QR section, the biggest timing-dependent section. If you want to put your future in the hands of a mixture of amphetamines (thats what adderall is) then good luck to you. :thumbdown:thumbdown

not true. the drug side effects are different for everyone. and there is no crash afterwards. if you've been taking it consistently and are use to the effects, and know how to channel your focus into studying only, then you'll be good.. also make sure you take it while you're eating a meal cuz it does put a strain on ur system and decreases your appetite when you start to feel it.:eek:

It was frustrating in undergrad to see inferior students get superior grades because of illicit drug usage. I am not on my soapbox, I dont judge others; just throwing two pennies.

I know people who are 'Prescribed' Adderol who are at the top of the class who don't exhibit any of the symptoms of ADD or ADHD. Unfair, most definitely! But, there is nothing anytine can do, so we go on with life.

Adderall is not some "wonder drug" that is going to make you smarter or instantly give you a better grade. does it help some people stay focased a little better? = yes, but its not some miracle that makes you superman. btw its very controlled, so if you dont have a prespription...