Adding an MD to your PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, but I know of people doing combined PharmD/PA programs. According to one of the faculty members of the combined program whom I spoke to, most students traditionally practice solely as pharmacists afterward.

Really? Must be for the money I guess because you would think acting being a practitioner with authority to prescribe would be exhilarating for a PharmD/PA combo.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Another pharmacist/physician joining in. I worked for a year as a pharmacist before going back to med school. There were three PharmD's in my class. All of us worked per diem throughout first and second year. I continued to work until MS4 because I was lucky I got a gig at the campus student health clinic. Average working 5-10 hours/week throughout. Not bad money at all for a student. Being a pharmacist helped a during pharmacology class but only a little bit. Those med students are smart people, they still beat us on the grade, say I got a 90%, someone else got 100% (and not one of the other two pharmacists in class). During Step 1, I got a lot of pharmacology questions that I was very grateful for. Other than that, everything is new, new concepts to learn on how to diagnose, pathophysiology, pathology etc. Now in residency the only advantage is that I can do discharge order for outpatient without looking up the dosage. But all of my fellow interns learn dosings and such very quickly too.
Bottom line, going back to med school was a great adventure and I enjoyed it very much. Residency is a different game however.

Could you please elaborate as to why residency is a whole different ball game? I am a PharmD about to enter M1, just curious about what lies ahead. Thank!

Could you please elaborate as to why residency is a whole different ball game? I am a PharmD about to enter M1, just curious about what lies ahead. Thank!

Residency is the great equalizer; because of the constant exposure and greater responsibility, you get really good with pharmacology even if you weren't so before. Already finding that as the case by the end of my 3rd year, a humbling experience really.

Reactions: 1 user