MD Adding two more schools? 513, 3.98

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bornunderatree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.98 and 513, CA resident. Been out of school 3 years, tons of clinical and volunteer hours (9000+). My research background is weak.

Currently have secondaries in at:

OHSU
Brown
Dartmouth
Stanford
UC Irvine
Columbia
UCSD
Georgetown
Mayo AZ
Pritzker

If I was going to add two more schools (just two), what would they be?

Members don't see this ad.

SLU MCW both Arizona schools UIC and Oakland would be the main ones I'd consider for the second spot personally if you can really only add two. SLU in particular is a good choice

You really do need more schools that you can go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at. Right now if we are being generous you have maybe 3 of those. In CA even for good applicants that's not ideal

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.98 and 513, CA resident. Been out of school 3 years, tons of clinical and volunteer hours (9000+). My research background is weak.

OHSU
Brown
Dartmouth
Stanford
UC Irvine
Columbia
UCSD
Georgetown
Mayo AZ
Pritzker

You're doing it wrong. You should add 20 more schools, not 2 more. Almost every school you applied to is low yield, and it's very likely that you don't get into any of them. It's fine to be ambitious, but you need to apply to a healthy spread of more realistic schools as well.

Your first application cycle is your best shot at this - make it count.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Pick any two from this list:

U VM
USF Morsani (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Tulane
Loyola
Oakland B
UCI
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program, starting with Touro-CA and Western.

Of your list below, the ones in red are donations only. Take your SO out to dinner instead.

OHSU
Brown

Dartmouth
Stanford
UC Irvine
Columbia
UCSD

Georgetown
Mayo AZ
Pritzker

Of your list below, the ones in red are donations only. Take your SO out to dinner instead.

I'm realizing this as the application cycle goes on.

Of your list, which school other than Rush looks kindly on tons of clinical experience?

You're doing it wrong. You should add 20 more schools, not 2 more. Almost every school you applied to is low yield, and it's very likely that you don't get into any of them. It's fine to be ambitious, but you need to apply to a healthy spread of more realistic schools as well.

Your first application cycle is your best shot at this - make it count.

Unfortunately I can't afford to apply to twenty schools. I'm a self made man. 12 is pushing it, and I threw some of that money out the window.
Plus I'm only applying once. I won't be a reapplicant if I don't get in this cycle.

Rush values volunteering and service. All med school value clinch experience.

Other service loving school include Keck, Tulane, Gtown, Creighton, and SLU.

Of your list, which school other than Rush looks kindly on tons of clinical experience?

Unfortunately I can't afford to apply to twenty schools. I'm a self made man. 12 is pushing it, and I threw some of that money out the window.
Plus I'm only applying once. I won't be a reapplicant if I don't get in this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user