Additional Student Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So looking foreward heading into residency I have 2 months off and want to actually enjoy my time off before I start residency. I sat down and tried to figure out how much extra money I would need to relocate for residency, pay my last few months of rent, the gap in my health insurance, pay my credit card debt, and have one hell of a vacation between medical school and residency. Overall I think I would need around $10,000.

The problem is for the past year or so I have maxed out my federal loans. My school told me I would have to look for private school loans if I needed more money. I was wondering what other students did if they needed more money than the amount that they received from traditional student loans. Where did you loan from? Where was the best interest rate and repayment plan? Advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Discover has a pretty good health professionals loan. There are also residency relocation loans that you can take out, but they aren't quite as nice as student loans.

Citibank has a resident re-location loan too. If you are US school, should not have a problem. Carib schools you may have to do some searching. Private loans may require a co-signer. You will want to know how often you get paid in residency. If it is monthly, it is usually the last day of the month, so your first check would be July 31. I know Citibank residency relocation loan can be deferred during residency. interest rate will depend on your credit.