Addressing a weakness in an LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I addressed my low (compared to other applicants to a top 20 school, but it's all relative) MCAT in my letters of interest. I mentioned it very briefly in passing, but did not offer any excuses for it. I only wanted to acknowledge that it's kind of on the low side but that I more than make up for it in other areas. I received two interview invitations following the letter.

I also addressed my (again, relative) lack of research and elaborated more on this. But the important thing is to emphasize your strengths that make up for a potential weakness. Don't draw so much attention to your low MCAT that the school can't overlook it. If you see a reason to apologize for part of your application, so will they.

Hope that helps.

I addressed my low (compared to other applicants to a top 20 school, but it's all relative) MCAT in my letters of interest. I mentioned it very briefly in passing, but did not offer any excuses for it. I only wanted to acknowledge that it's kind of on the low side but that I more than make up for it in other areas. I received two interview invitations following the letter.

I also addressed my (again, relative) lack of research and elaborated more on this. But the important thing is to emphasize your strengths that make up for a potential weakness. Don't draw so much attention to your low MCAT that the school can't overlook it. If you see a reason to apologize for part of your application, so will they.

Hope that helps.

I wish I could just say, "look at my GPA, which is a result of 5 years of hard work, and ignore my one-time MCAT :p."

But do you think just mentioning it in an LOI without any kind of explanation will just draw more negative attention to it? I just want to show them that I don't think my MCAT score is reflective of my capabilities and my circumstances made things much more difficult at the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I could just say, "look at my GPA, which is a result of 5 years of hard work, and ignore my one-time MCAT :p."

But do you think just mentioning it in an LOI without any kind of explanation will just draw more negative attention to it? I just want to show them that I don't think my MCAT score is reflective of my capabilities and my circumstances made things much more difficult at the time.

Why would you bring it up without explanation. Explain the circumstances that made it difficult.

retake the MCAT. Don't leave any excuse for medical school committees. Nothing in life is free and painless. Either retake the MCAT and get good score or constantly worry about whether weak MCAT score will ruin you chance.

Or you can try one of the ads I see when I am typing this message: OSAP Approved Med School - Accredited M.D., MCAT not required ....

Hell no. Why are you going to point out what may be your only weakness to admissions committees? Don't start making excuses for yourself, this will only magnify what they may consider to be a minor issue. If they cared, they would have asked about it at your interview.

That would be like approaching a girl you like, and saying "I really wanna date you, and even though I have herpes I'm great in the sack." Some things are better left unsaid...

OP: post this on "what are my chances" and catalystik will give you a kickass answer.

retake the MCAT. Don't leave any excuse for medical school committees. Nothing in life is free and painless. Either retake the MCAT and get good score or constantly worry about whether weak MCAT score will ruin you chance.

Or you can try one of the ads I see when I am typing this message: OSAP Approved Med School - Accredited M.D., MCAT not required ....

Well I already applied, so retaking the MCAT isn't an option for this cycle...

Why is your status listed as "Medical Student"? My trolly senses are tingling...

edit: nevermind, this thread is like 2 years old. lawllllllllllll