Addressing blemish in academic record? Should I or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onozanAuD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not quite sure why the original post is no longer showing up, but regardless of whatever the situation was, it is probably a good idea to address any missteps in your academic career. It should by no means be the focus of a personal statement, but by providing a brief explanation, it can help to clarify any lingering questions an ADCOM might have about you as a candidate.

I had a very difficult undergraduate hard sciences major and thus my GPA was not as good as those who had communication disorders backgrounds. It's always good to explain why your grade was not what the typical GPA/grades would be and explain why it makes you a more attractive candidate. I had all A's in the communication disorders courses and my second major I had almost a 4.0 in. Of course my harder major brought down my overall GPA, but I was able to explain why my lower grade in a different major made me a more attractive candidate than the communication disorder major with a 4.0.