Addressing colleague's statements on social media

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwawayaccount67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So using a throw-away account as my other account has posts that may give hints as to what program I'm in. Anyhow, here it goes:

I'm currently a doctoral student in a Counseling Psychology program. A newer doctoral student has been frequently posting what many in our program would consider offensive remarks on Facebook regarding LGBTQ+ people, women, and racial minorities. Usually along the lines of how the "pay gap" between women and men is not real, that racial minorities "just don't work as hard," and that LGBTQ+ people should stop "complaining" because their "feelings are hurt."

What would be a way to address this issue with this person? Should I just let it go and ignore it? I do not want to necessarily name this person to the faculty or have this person face any negative repercussions. However, I have been thinking of speaking to some of our faculty on this situation as well. I genuinely worry about this person seeing women or other clients belonging to marginalized groups.

As far as I know, this person's beliefs have not directly affected their clinical work (though they have just started seeing clients.) However, this person's first research project was turned down for being what one of the feminist faculty considered to be offensive to racial minorities, so they probably have some idea that this person harbors these views. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, being a ****ty person in real life does not preclude someone from being successful in their chosen career. Assuming that they are competent and ethical in their clinical work, that is. As long as I didn't see this student personally offend another student or client/patient, I'd probably leave it alone.

It's not unethical behavior, however distasteful you or others might find it. Even if it was, the first step is talking to the person, not going over them, in most situations.

It sounds like the person already got some negative evaluation on the research thing, so it might be on faculty radar anyway. Hard to do anything from your position, if you don't see it impacting client work. You could always tell the person you think they're an ass, of course. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is merely opinion and, likely , political leanings you don't agree with, no? Might not be the norm for a counseling psychology phd student, might not even be the best fit, but unethical or "inappropriate?" I don't know...

I chose counseling psych over clinical because of heavier focus on multiculturalism. I also attended a program that has a strong reputation for multicultural work. Keeping that in mind, if someone said that stuff in my program that person would be having conversations the next day from their cohort and other students about where those ideas were coming from. If someone can post those isms on social media, I'm betting it absolutely impacts their clinical work. And it will become clear once you engage them in conversation during class, supervision, etc. That's not something that could stay hidden very long if that person is asked to conceptualize a client's identities at even a shallow depth. Maybe the students cohort is picking up microaggressions that can be called out when they happen.

I just woke up so I'm rambling.

I agree that's it's pretty inconsistent, but people, yes even psychologists, can have opinions that are somewhat aberrant and not "party line" with their chosen profession. Should we "have talks" with people who think the moon landing was a hoax? Those that opposed to affirmative action policies? Oppose gay marriage? Opposing ordination of women clergy in the Catholic Church? How bout those that believe construct of ADHD is bull****?

Where, exactly, do these beliefs and the expression of them become unethical within the context of clinical training?

Last edited:
getting faculty involved? overkill

post a reply with your statistics on fb? fine

in person conversation that you find some of their views offensive? confrontation, but fine

just blocking/unfollowing them and moving on with your life? the most efficient solution

also...for your consideration on your colleague's first point http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gender-pay-gap-is-a-complete-myth/ . Your colleague is rude at best on the last two points.

Your colleague is rude at best on the last two points.

And we wonder why people of color don't seek out mental health services... Maybe it's because calling all black people lazy is "rude at best".

You need some supervision.

And we wonder why people of color don't seek out mental health services... Maybe it's because calling all black people lazy is "rude at best".

You need some supervision.

Given the one sided paraphrase with no opportunity for response from the accused? Yes, rude at best. An idiotic racist at worst.

Hey everyone! So using a throw-away account as my other account has posts that may give hints as to what program I'm in. Anyhow, here it goes:

I'm currently a doctoral student in a Counseling Psychology program. A newer doctoral student has been frequently posting what many in our program would consider offensive remarks on Facebook regarding LGBTQ+ people, women, and racial minorities. Usually along the lines of how the "pay gap" between women and men is not real, that racial minorities "just don't work as hard," and that LGBTQ+ people should stop "complaining" because their "feelings are hurt."

What would be a way to address this issue with this person? Should I just let it go and ignore it? I do not want to necessarily name this person to the faculty or have this person face any negative repercussions. However, I have been thinking of speaking to some of our faculty on this situation as well. I genuinely worry about this person seeing women or other clients belonging to marginalized groups.

As far as I know, this person's beliefs have not directly affected their clinical work (though they have just started seeing clients.) However, this person's first research project was turned down for being what one of the feminist faculty considered to be offensive to racial minorities, so they probably have some idea that this person harbors these views. Thoughts?
First of all, this sounds more mike political views than psychological science and it sounds to me like you just might be distorting this person's political opinions. For example, I have seen reasoned arguments about the pay gap between men and women that challenge it. One example is that men tend to work in higher risk jobs that are paid more. In the rural area where I work, there is a nearby oil boom and the mostly uneducated men who work out in these oil fields get paid about 70k per year. This might be one reason for a bigger pay gap in this state. It is one of the highest. Another reason might be gender bias, how would I know without careful scientific study? I pose this question for discussion in my undergrad psych courses and it is amazing what the spectrum of responses are. My point of the discussion is to try to get people to see outside their own box and see the difference between science and opinion. I am a little worried when I hear a scientific study being shot down because it might run counter to a political belief. On the other hand, psychological "science" used to be used to justify racism and oppression which I find much more abhorrent so please don't misrepresent what I am saying.

First of all, this sounds more mike political views than psychological science and it sounds to me like you just might be distorting this person's political opinions. .

Perhaps you have a point regarding the "pay gap" issue, but this person's other statements I think go far beyond "political opinion." Granted, me saying that is just an "opinion" as well.

I think we can agree that there are statistics on both sides of the gender pay gap argument. I can lift any of number of studies/statistics/etc and make a somewhat cogent argument either way. Definitely a complicated issue, maybe Piketty will write a highly dense economic piece about it.

I appreciate the replies thus far in this thread. The "pay gap" example may have been a poor choice on my part. I think it's just this person's overall womanizing behavior outside of school that led me to believe that their stance on the "pay gap" issue was just an extension of that womanizing behavior. Certainly possible that these two things are not connected.

I agree that's it's pretty inconsistent, but people, yes even psychologists, can have opinions that are somewhat aberrant and not "party line" with their chosen profession. Should we "have talks" with people who think the moon landing was a hoax? Those that opposed to affirmative action policies? Oppose gay marriage? Opposing ordination of women clergy in the Catholic Church? How bout those that believe construct of ADHD is bull****?

Where, exactly, do these beliefs and the expression of them become unethical within the context of clinical training?

Right, and this is personally where I struggle with this. I certainly believe every psychologist can have opinions that may be "less popular" among others in the profession. My main concern is that their "political views" may be an extension of some beliefs or world views that may negatively impact clients of marginalized groups in the future as this person is just beginning clinical work.

Regarding the other posts, I think I agree with the overall sentiment here. This person's beliefs/world view are pretty polar opposite my own (and I belong to one of these marginalized group I mentioned) so I got a little emotionally wrapped up in this person's beliefs -- which is probably why I was considering more "harsh" options. I appreciate the feedback.

I chose counseling psych over clinical because of heavier focus on multiculturalism. I also attended a program that has a strong reputation for multicultural work. Keeping that in mind, if someone said that stuff in my program that person would be having conversations the next day from their cohort and other students about where those ideas were coming from. If someone can post those isms on social media, I'm betting it absolutely impacts their clinical work. And it will become clear once you engage them in conversation during class, supervision, etc. That's not something that could stay hidden very long if that person is asked to conceptualize a client's identities at even a shallow depth. Maybe the students cohort is picking up microaggressions that can be called out when they happen.

I just woke up so I'm rambling.

My program is similar to the one that you attended, sans anyone speaking to this person just yet regarding their views. After considering feedback here, my thought is that if it continues, I could have a private and personal conversation with this person in a non-confrontational way. And, if it truly does surface in class/supervision/clinical work I should probably just trust that the faculty will notice if it becomes problematic.

Right, and this is personally where I struggle with this. I certainly believe every psychologist can have opinions that may be "less popular" among others in the profession. My main concern is that their "political views" may be an extension of some beliefs or world views that may negatively impact clients of marginalized groups in the future as this person is just beginning clinical work.

Regarding the other posts, I think I agree with the overall sentiment here. This person's beliefs/world view are pretty polar opposite my own (and I belong to one of these marginalized group I mentioned) so I got a little emotionally wrapped up in this person's beliefs -- which is probably why I was considering more "harsh" options. I appreciate the feedback.

But where do you draw the line if you have no evidence that this is harming anyone? I am vehmently opposed to almost all forms of affirmative action policy. Does this make me apoor choice to work with African-Americans?

I appreciate the replies thus far in this thread. The "pay gap" example may have been a poor choice on my part. I think it's just this person's overall womanizing behavior outside of school that led me to believe that their stance on the "pay gap" issue was just an extension of that womanizing behavior. Certainly possible that these two things are not connected.
"Womanizing behavior" is pretty vague too. I am not saying this guy is not a jerk since I have never met him but I am challenging your communication about it since clear communication is an essential part of a psychologists skill set. Good to practice that now as opposed to when you are being gross examined for expert opinion.

But where do you draw the line if you have no evidence that this is harming anyone? I am vehmently opposed to almost all forms of affirmative action policy. Does this make me apoor choice to work with African-Americans?

I agree with you. After considering the feedback in this thread, it does feel like "overkill" to mention something to the faculty with no real evidence that this person's beliefs are harming anyone currently. My motivation I think was to hopefully raise this person's awareness that their beliefs regarding gender/sexuality/gender identity/ethnicity could affect how they interact with clients belonging to these populations in the therapy room. But I should probably let their future clinical supervisors handle that.

"Womanizing behavior" is pretty vague too. I am not saying this guy is not a jerk since I have never met him but I am challenging your communication about it since clear communication is an essential part of a psychologists skill set. Good to practice that now as opposed to when you are being gross examined for expert opinion.

Yes, "womanizing behavior" was intentionally vague as actual examples would likely tip off this person that I'm speaking about them on this website. Appreciate the feedback nonetheless.

Another way of looking at this is as an opportunity to learn how to dialog with people with far different opinions than your own. Both of you will find people with much different political perspectives than your own in your counseling work and yet will need to be able to place some of your own opinions aside at times to focus on what the individual needs.

A good example from my own experience is hunting. I personally am not a hunter and don't agree with a lot of aspects of hunting and especially the extermination of predators. Where I live in rural America, most people do not feel the same as I do. It can be pretty challenging at times, especially when a client talks about how they need to exterminate some animal and that those animal lovers in California need to mind their own business. Of course, that type of diatribe regardless of topic, is usually a distraction from their own clinical work so I generally respond by redirecting them to something that is more about why they are seeing me.

Last edited: