Adiabatic vs. Isothermal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can somebody take a stab at these 3 questions? I want to make sure I understand them correctly. Thank you in advance.

Okay so I understand that an adiabatic process is a process in which the heat of the system stays constant. How does this happen?

Also, how can a system do work and keep its temperature constant like in an isothermal process?

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Members don't see this ad.

Summary:

Adiabatic = no heat exchange, q = 0, deltaE = w. There is maximal change in temperature.

Isothermal = fully conducting walls to the point where q = -w, deltaE = 0, since all work put in, simply escapes immediatly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone clarify what the difference between Adiabatic and isothermal is? I can't quite make it out using TPR or Chad's vids.

Can anyone clarify what the difference between Adiabatic and isothermal is? I can't quite make it out using TPR or Chad's vids.
Adiabatic is Δq=0, whereas isothermal is ΔT=0. Remember, heat is a measure of transfer of energy. It is a process. Temperature measures inherent, internal energy. It is not defined by an exchange of anything.

Basically, adiabatic there is no change in heat (q); and isothermal, there is no change in temperature (T)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.