Adjusting to New Climate When Attending Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galixia17

purdue c/o 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Not sure where to put this but I have a few questions for those of you attending schools in cooler climates.

I will be attending Purdue in August. I did my undergrad in Florida and spent most of the last 6 years in parts of Florida. I wanted to know if there was any cold weather gear anyone specifically recommended as I currently own mostly moderate weather clothing.

Thanks for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

Not sure where to put this but I have a few questions for those of you attending schools in cooler climates.

I will be attending Purdue in August. I did my undergrad in Florida and spent most of the last 6 years in parts of Florida. I wanted to know if there was any cold weather gear anyone specifically recommended as I currently own mostly moderate weather clothing.

LAYERS. Layers layers layers. I'm at Purdue now, and I'm currently wearing two pairs of socks, pajama pants under my jeans, and two jackets. It's not always the cold that gets you, it's the wind that the worst. I don't know brands, but North Face is something I see often among students.

Reactions: 2 users
Boots, a good, sturdy array of things like a winer jacket, scarves, and hat are what I'd mostly recommend. Layers are good too because temperature can change fast in winter. The boots are pretty important to me. Wind and snow go straight through gym shoes and freeze toes. Boots are great if you have to trek to school in 6 inches of snow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I lived in Florida for 18 years and then moved to PA so I feel yah. I'm not entirely sure of Purdue's weather but my winter essentials are: leggings for layering, lots of sweater-type tops, sweater socks, waterproof winter boots, scarves and hats (and/or earmuffs), a puffer jacket/parka, and touch screen compatible gloves. Because I need to be able to use my phone! I also have a peacoat for when it's in the 30s-40s and not snowing.

Reactions: 1 user
To be more specific about layers - invest in some good base-layers. Thermal tops and leggings to go under everything, Under Armor is amazing! Smartwool socks are also wonderful, if you get the heavy duty ones you don't have to wear 3 pairs of socks!

Thanks guys :) I have no knowledge of how to dress for this weather so I appreciate the advice!

I'm from Texas so we don't have the same snowy winters northerners do, but it does get pretty cold and windy (still not to the extent of up north). I really like the Columbia omniheat jacket line. I have one that's one or two jackets away from their heaviest one and I LOVE it. I use it a lot of horseback riding and shadowing out in the field because it's really warm but not bulky so it's easy to move in. For Purdue I would definitely recommend going to the heaviest level, but if there's a Columbia outlet near you, you can get it for a steal (I think there's one around Lakeland, Florida). Anything in the omniheat line is awesome and holds up pretty well!

I'm originality from AZ, now living in the bitter cold Midwest. Layers are your friend as well as a good pair of boots. Also a good pair of gloves will do you wonders when scraping snow and ice off the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Any particular boots you'd recommend??

Haha ok :p I'm not super into "brands", I just need something warm that works :)

I have a pair of Justin's work boots. I think they work fine.

I shall go to google to see what those are!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
They're essentially cowboy boots lol

Sorels, North Face, and L.L. Bean boots are some good brands. They're pricey, but they last forever.

Those are like, intense winter boots. But riding boots work pretty well too if you're not trudging through an arctic wasteland ;)

Haha. It will feel like an arctic wasteland to me! :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Sorels, North Face, and L.L. Bean boots are some good brands. They're pricey, but they last forever.

L.L. Bean has a lifetime guarantee on everything. Both of my winter jackets are L.L. Bean :love:
I also really like hand warmers and toe warmers for when I know I'll be outside for a really long time.

I wouldn't go too overboard with all the fancy expensive under layers until you see just how you tolerate the cold and how much time you'll actually be spending outside in the cold. Keeping in mind that unlike in undergrad when you're walking all over campus to get to class, at most vet schools you will be in the same building all day most days, and if you're just walking to and from your car 5 minutes in the morning and afternoon, you'll really be fine with a good warm/windproof outer layer that can easily be shed once you're indoors. Unless you're one of those people who's just cold all the time, wearing under armor and leggings is just going to make you hot all day inside, and is likely not necessary unless you'll be spending a lot of time outside in the winter or you have really cold classrooms (which very likely may be true).

You will also eventually adjust to the colder temperatures. I wore a heavy down coat, hat, scarf, mittens, wool socks, and boots to school every day last winter. While, granted, it was ridiculously cold here last year and I had a longer walk from my car than I do this year, I have only worn that coat ~2 times this winter and didn't even wear it the other day when we were at wind chill of -28.

This all being said, a good windproof coat is essential. Wind will get you long before cold air temps will. Wool socks are great too. Have good gloves, a hat/earmuffs, and a scarf on hand. Boots are good, but if you won't be walking through several inches of snow too often and generally won't be outside very long, water resistant shoes that don't have mesh/air holes in them can work fine if you're trying to save money (or cheaper, less heavy duty boots too). But granted, I love my boots and am just usually running too late in the morning to put them on and tuck my pants in and everything unless I really need them.

Get a scarf or necktube to cover your mouth/nose and warm up the air you breathe on the extra cold days.
Look at REI's website- they have good articles on their gear selections and how to survive cold, and you can often find similar items at other stores if you don't have an REI nearby (i love that place though, their return policy is stellar, their employees know their stuff and they have good value store brand gear)

Million dollar tip: Buy wool socks, not cotton- they wick better and insulate better and last way longer :)

I wouldn't go too overboard with all the fancy expensive under layers until you see just how you tolerate the cold and how much time you'll actually be spending outside in the cold. Keeping in mind that unlike in undergrad when you're walking all over campus to get to class, at most vet schools you will be in the same building all day most days, and if you're just walking to and from your car 5 minutes in the morning and afternoon, you'll really be fine with a good warm/windproof outer layer that can easily be shed once you're indoors. Unless you're one of those people who's just cold all the time, wearing under armor and leggings is just going to make you hot all day inside, and is likely not necessary unless you'll be spending a lot of time outside in the winter or you have really cold classrooms (which very likely may be true).
Get @jdh71 in here right away!!!!

This is terrible advice. ALWAYS wear clothing appropriate for the outside weather. Cause, ya know, cars break down and stuff. And then you are stuck in miserable weather when you were only expecting to be outside for "5 minutes". (or if you aren't wearing it, have it in the car with you at least).

Plus, there is life outside of class.

You will need warm weather gear.

Reactions: 3 users
Get a scarf or necktube to cover your mouth/nose and warm up the air you breathe on the extra cold days.
Look at REI's website- they have good articles on their gear selections and how to survive cold, and you can often find similar items at other stores if you don't have an REI nearby (i love that place though, their return policy is stellar, their employees know their stuff and they have good value store brand gear)

Million dollar tip: Buy wool socks, not cotton- they wick better and insulate better and last way longer :)
I am partial to turtle fur necktubes. I spend a lot of time outdoors now, and that is my go to item.

Seems like everyones already given great advice. A solid quality warm pair of boots and a thermal set (good quality is really breathable and won't make you sweat your ass off) is really the difference between being nice and warm and shivering furiously throughout the day.

I've lived in Sweden almost my whole life and now being in Australia with 40 degree summers I know how you feel about climate change :)

Get @jdh71 in here right away!!!!

This is terrible advice. ALWAYS wear clothing appropriate for the outside weather. Cause, ya know, cars break down and stuff. And then you are stuck in miserable weather when you were only expecting to be outside for "5 minutes". (or if you aren't wearing it, have it in the car with you at least).

Plus, there is life outside of class.

You will need warm weather gear.
I never said don't get warm weather gear, I am saying don't go overboard until you know what you really need. Purdue isn't exactly in the arctic tundra, even though it may seem like it at first to someone who is from Florida. A good warm outer layer is not being unprepared assuming you have common sense and aren't wearing a tank top underneath, and I'd hope you are prepared with extra blankets, etc. in your car when you live somewhere cold in the event your car breaks down, but that's another topic. I don't know anyone who wears under armor to class everyday, except maybe my friend who rides her bike to school in single digit temperatures. There's no point in spending money on it until you know whether you really need it. And as far as life outside of class, I said if that's all you do, because not everyone spends much time outdoors in the winter. I don't go outside unless I have to in the winter except on very rare occasions. It's very rare that I have free time when it's actually light outside. If you do go outside a lot, whether for winter activities or just walking a dog, then you adjust as needed with things other have mentioned. I was trying to point out that the OP doesn't have to be overly intimidated by the cold weather and doesn't need to go out and buy out the whole outdoors store right now.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I have considered the fact that I will mostly be inside, so I'm not looking to go too crazy. I have a nice warm wind resistant and water resistant North Face jacket, which is a great start. I'm thinking of adding some gloves and hats and scarves to my collection as well. I have decided to purchase some heavier boots, because my feet do get cold. However, once indoors, I usually grow warm pretty easily.

Just remember how warm you'll be in class significantly depends on how well the school heats the building and classrooms. So, if your school is freezing, you might want some layers. Unfortunately you won't know that until classes begin and winter comes around.

Yes to the boots, you can wear 4 sweaters, but you can only wear one set of boots. And invest in heavy duty socks. I am actually really happy with my skechers boots, surprisingly! Ear muffs/headband and gloves are good, too. And an electric blanket.

Also, for your car (if you have one), I recommend all weather mats for the floor if the funds are available. It's nit a necessity by any means, but you'll be protecting your carpeted mats from being destroyed by all of the salt and slush!

Yes to the boots, you can wear 4 sweaters, but you can only wear one set of boots. And invest in heavy duty socks. I am actually really happy with my skechers boots, surprisingly! Ear muffs/headband and gloves are good, too. And an electric blanket.

Also, for your car (if you have one), I recommend all weather mats for the floor if the funds are available. It's nit a necessity by any means, but you'll be protecting your carpeted mats from being destroyed by all of the salt and slush!
You beat me to my electric blanket comment! I got mine to use at school since our classroom gets a bit chilly, but I actually use it more at home because it's too big to bring back and forth everyday and I have nowhere convenient to store it at school. But it is glorious for when I'm studying since my desk is right next to my poorly insulated glass sliding door. And it makes my cats much more cuddly.

You beat me to my electric blanket comment! I got mine to use at school since our classroom gets a bit chilly, but I actually use it more at home because it's too big to bring back and forth everyday and I have nowhere convenient to store it at school. But it is glorious for when I'm studying since my desk is right next to my poorly insulated glass sliding door. And it makes my cats much more cuddly.
I think the only solution is to use your locker strictly for storing your second electric blanket. Coveralls and boots? Nah.

Seconding bean boots. I've got a pair of ankle high duck boots and they're wonderful, especially with thick socks.

I never said don't get warm weather gear, I am saying don't go overboard until you know what you really need. Purdue isn't exactly in the arctic tundra

This is why I usually stay out of cold weather advice threads unless there's specific gear being discussed (i.e. muck boots) because my fleece-lined windbreaker is good until 15F or so for me. I can't really relate to wearing multiple layers of pants or sweaters because I've never really felt I needed them on a day-to-day basis (unless skiing). I understand what you're saying though as a Canadian that was in MN for 4 years. :)

Also, as someone who has just moved from FL to MI, I personally think its easier to adjust to cold than it is to heat. You can take measures to warm up, but you can't run around naked in the heat. Legally. In most places.

Also, as someone who has just moved from FL to MI, I personally think its easier to adjust to cold than it is to heat. You can take measures to warm up, but you can't run around naked in the heat. Legally. In most places.

Awe don't crush my dreams

As someone who has lived in California all my life, I am going to be following this thread and making notes. Hello Kansas. I'm scared of the snow...I'm a wimp.

I lived in Buffalo, NY for 25 years and Sorel has always been my go to winter boot. I wear them for farm calls, cleaning horse stalls, playing in the snow. The liner is replaceable and the outer boot lasts forever. This is the specific boot I like because of the height and they cinch closed so hay doesn't get inside. They are ugly but warm.

http://www.sorel.com/womens-glacier...ductShoeType&prefv2=High&prefv1=Black&start=0

I also wear Thunderbolt electric socks when it's really cold out. Otherwise Wigwam or Smartwool socks with the Sorels work fine.

Layering is key for keeping warm. I always wore a t shirt, turtle neck, fleece, puff vest, ski jacket on top. Spandex under heavy jeans, Sorel boots, stocking hat. No special brands for that stuff, besides boots and socks. Hand warmers in my gloves. Living in Florida currently and I am looking forward to going back to the cold.

Haha ok :p I'm not super into "brands", I just need something warm that works :)

Yeah, I couldn't even tell you what brand of boots I have now. I got them in Scotland, they were needed for working around the horses... they work really well in cold/snow too. That is about all I could say about them... :laugh:

Daily highs in Lafayette, IN in January average 33.
Daily lows average 19.

Might not be the arctic, but for someone from FL, that is going to be VERY COLD.

And when it is windy in the morning it will be cold enough to worry about frost bite.

(I had a roommate from FL my freshman year of college in Philly, took him a couple of years until he could really tolerate cold well). Dress warmer and be prepared.

Another thing to consider is where you want to buy your stuff from. I'm guessing FL doesn't have an overabundance of winter gear for sale (and may be more expensive if they do?). You might be better off waiting until you get to your new northern home before purchasing some of this stuff. They'll probably have a wider selection, theoretically better prices, and the sales people might be more knowledgeable about what you'd need.

Unless you're like me and buy most of your stuff online, in which case nevermind :p

(I had a roommate from FL my freshman year of college in Philly, took him a couple of years until he could really tolerate cold well). Dress warmer and be prepared.

We have a few FL classmates. I can remember in first year, we had a freak cold snap in October and had some freezing rain one night, I think it was around 25F-30F. One of the FL classmates showed up in a giant parka her father had used to go to the South Pole.

Bean and bass pro for footwear. Make sure they are roomy enough for socks and your feet still have room to breathe.
Thermacell heated insoles
Smartwool socks. Tractor supply type stores are also good for warm socks
Patagonia or columbia base layers. Its amazing that something so thin can be so warm.
Bean for ski pants that are warm without making you look like a blimp
Carharrt coveralls for farm work
Columbia down vest
Jacket from any of the above listed companies. Columbia or Bean are probably the best for waterproof.
Dont forget a hat and gloves! I like the fingerless gloves that have a little mitten flap for working in. Mine are so old I cant find a brand on them.

used to use yak trax for hiking across campus.

Yeah, I like my winter brands. :)

North face never seemed to hold up as well for me. The down always escaped!
Bean gear especially is worth every penny, because of their amazing warranties.
Carharrt is warm, but most of their stuff that Ive tried isnt truly waterproof and will be heavyyy when wet. Lots of pockets though
Patagonia is $$$$$ but is the warmest gear Ive ever owned without being super bulky. Their outlets do have some good sales.

If buying online, try backcountry.com. Free 2 day shipping if you order through a customer service rep. Theclymb.com is good for discount gear, usually off-brand but the big name stuff is sometimes on sale there as well.

Daily highs in Lafayette, IN in January average 33.
Daily lows average 19.

Might not be the arctic, but for someone from FL, that is going to be VERY COLD.

And when it is windy in the morning it will be cold enough to worry about frost bite.

Today it was -9. Yesterday I think it was worse. But it's never the cold here in Lafayette, it's always the wind chill.

Any particular boots you'd recommend??
Danner! I love them! I originally got them when I moved from AZ to KY for hunting, but they are amazing in snow. Plus, you can tie the tops where water won't get your socks wet!