Adjusting to New Climate When Attending Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bumping this, cause I know I'm not the only one moving to a cold (wayyyy colder than I'm used to...) climate for vet school!

And any additional tips for this SoCal girl would be appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping this, cause I know I'm not the only one moving to a cold (wayyyy colder than I'm used to...) climate for vet school!

Where I am isn't even as cold as the midwest, but I'm originally from the SC coast, where it rarely gets below 50 degrees. I'm not a cold weather person. The things I can't live without are: a hat that covers my ears, wool socks, weatherproof boots (wet and cold feet: no, no, no) and an electric blanket. I can't sleep when I'm cold.

Where I am isn't even as cold as the midwest, but I'm originally from the SC coast, where it rarely gets below 50 degrees. I'm not a cold weather person. The things I can't live without are: a hat that covers my ears, wool socks, weatherproof boots (wet and cold feet: no, no, no) and an electric blanket. I can't sleep when I'm cold.
I've lived in the Midwest (Indiana) my entire life and my electric blanket is honestly my favorite possession.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Ohio girl, here. I would like to echo most of what has been said already regarding a good coat, hat, scarf, layering, etc, and particularly emphasis the bit about having good boots. Good quality winter boots are an investment, but one worth making. I got these last winter and they are fabulous. These + wool socks = toasty toes with snow and windchill of -15.

1706W_220_zoom.jpg

http://www.bearpaw.com/desdemona/1706W-220/detail

Thanks for your responses! I'm an equine girl, so I'm dreading standing outside doing lameness exams in really cold weather while on field service rotation. I've heard carhartt jackets are the way to go, but nothing about that here...What is a good jacket to get that looks professional and you still don't freeze your toosh off?

Thanks for your responses! I'm an equine girl, so I'm dreading standing outside doing lameness exams in really cold weather while on field service rotation. I've heard carhartt jackets are the way to go, but nothing about that here...What is a good jacket to get that looks professional and you still don't freeze your toosh off?
Considering most jackets don't cover your tush, you might want to invest in some good pants ;)

I invested in some cuddlduds this past winter. They are a great base layer for your tush! Just make sure you get a size that fits snug enough to go under your pants.

I invested in some cuddlduds this past winter. They are a great base layer for your tush! Just make sure you get a size that fits snug enough to go under your pants.
Considering most jackets don't cover your tush, you might want to invest in some good pants ;)

Hey don't blame me, I haven't taken anatomy yet...har har har what a terrible joke.

And seeing as all I have are jeans, pjs, and breeches for the pony, I feel like the whole realm of "pants" is like Narnia to me.

My form of winter pants were my batman jammies underneath some roomy jeans.

I've got carharrt jackets and coveralls.

Honestly, I don't use the coveralls much anymore. Ski pants are much more waterproof and easier to pull on and off. I do wear a carharrt jacket when it's dry or Columbia when there's cold rain. I dream of the pella palpating jacket where I could just unzip an arm to rectal and not have to freeze.... A warm vest is a must- I prefer my Columbia vest over the carharrt. I think in the winter professionalism goes out the window- just keep yourself warm and healthy!

Also have fingerless gloves, lots of wool hunting socks, and waterproof boots. I like ll bean or bogs. I prefer ear warmers to hats but i hate having an overly warm head. It makes me feel like I'm suffocating. Thermacell makes heated insoles for boots that are worth their weight in gold for equine field work.

It seems like vests work really well on the large animal side of things. Well, they work fine in general - but especially LA stuff. And if you don't need waterproof pants, just warm pants - try the fleece lined leggings. I tried them last winter and I am sold, sold, sold.

For pre-vet club in north-western Nebraska (so far north, my friend and I got lost in South Dakota when we went on a drive), we bought Dri-Duck coats. Half the price of Carhartt, but still really good quality. If you get one that is a size bigger than you're used to, you can layer very well with a tank/cami, long sleeved t-shirt, hoodie/windbreaker, then your coat. Worked amazingly when we were -50 (with windchill) for two months my last year. Totally recommend.

Get @jdh71 in here right away!!!!

This is terrible advice. ALWAYS wear clothing appropriate for the outside weather. Cause, ya know, cars break down and stuff. And then you are stuck in miserable weather when you were only expecting to be outside for "5 minutes". (or if you aren't wearing it, have it in the car with you at least).

Plus, there is life outside of class.

You will need warm weather gear.

Dovelover is up here in MN with me, and her advice - the way she meant it - is perfect.... she wasn't saying "wear a t-shirt, a sweatshirt, and risk it". She was reinforcing the layers concept. Wear a water-resistant, windproof, outer layer. It doesn't have to be a massive parka, although that certainly CAN be your outer layer - but sometimes that just encourages people to wear less underneath it. The best way to go is multiple warm layers with an outer wind- and water-resistant covering. I've gone entire winters rarely wearing more than a windbreaker because I'll put on so many nice comfy layers underneath, and I'm a big wuss when it comes to cold. It's DEFINITELY the way to go.

The other thing you need in addition to lotsa layers is very warm, water-resistant boots. With a couple layers of socks underneath if it's going to be really cold. Same theme.

Anyway, since when is Purdue considered north? Does it even get below freezing there? I thought that was basically just down the road from Florida, give or take a handful of states. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyway, since when is Purdue considered north? Does it even get below freezing there? I thought that was basically just down the road from Florida, give or take a handful of states. :)

Right?! If you aren't spending 5-7 months a year below 0, you'll be fine!

Any advice about cars in cold weather, in general? Does anyone have a diesel car? How do you get it/keep it running when it gets super cold?

Any advice about cars in cold weather, in general? Does anyone have a diesel car? How do you get it/keep it running when it gets super cold?

Sidenote really quick: I once had a snow day in high school because the school district couldn't get the school buses to start because it was so cold. There was less than an inch of snow on the ground.

Back on track: I don't drive a diesel personally ('97 Chevy Suburban :)), but my best advice would be: 1) live close enough to school it doesn't matter; 2) start your truck and run it when it will start to be getting cold (as far as I understand it). Back to the school district thing, they would apparently start the school buses the night before it was cold and run them for a while so they would start the next morning. How true that is, I don't even know.

Granted, when it is that cold, I think we should all agree that it is too cold to leave home. My poor asthmatic lungs hated having class at -50.

Like how cold are we talking?

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1433501315.418845.jpg

My normal car was just fine down to a little below -20F for an extended period of time without doing anything special. People do things special in places like Alaska, but unless it's that cold I'm not sure you need anything in particular.

I'm personally pretty paranoid about harsh winters, so I only buy AWD vehicles, and this year also added on winter tires. I made sure this time around to have an automatic starter since i don't have a covered garage (sooo worth it). I never let my tank go below half a tank when it's super cold. I always keep a warm comforter and extra clothes in the car just in case. I also carry extra windshield wiper fluid, and really heavy duty snow/ice pusher offer.

Layers! When I was in the barn this winter and it was 10 degrees out (my luck the only time this happened in nc was during my equine block!) I had 2 pairs fleece lined leggings under pants and many more layers up top. Vests were popular, and the clinicians wore whatever their warmest coat was (type and brand varied).

As for cars, leave your car brush in the house ;) that's what my Caribbean butt learned last winter haha!

As for cars, leave your car brush in the house ;) that's what my Caribbean butt learned last winter haha!

One in the car, one in the apt. And a snow shovel in both places too. Not the little portable ones, but the full sized ones.

I made the mistake of getting one of those "car sized" snow shovels, and that was a disaster when I had to try and dig my car out of 2 feet of snow. When that happens and your car is not at your house/apt and all you have is what's in your car, it's miserable.

The upside is that when you're a pathetic looking young female with a very ineffective snow removal device, some kind dude usually offers to help and all you have to do is watch as the huge mound of snow magically turns into your car.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't even get to use those. We just spray alcohol on the wings from a little spray bottle. Not quite as impressive.
Well that is no fun.

Seriously flying out of cold places in the winter is such a drag because we always have to wait forever because there is a queue (sp?) for one of those sprayers. But then when they spray your plane it's pretty awesome! It's like that sensation you had going through the car wash as a kid.

We may not be trudging through the snow three miles uphill both ways for 2/3rds of the year, but the past three years when winter hit, it hit pretty hard. :p
Central Indiana has a nasty habit of being on the receiving end of the ice storms and -50 wind chills between late December through March. Couple that with the fact that Purdue as an institution rarely cancels class (the exception when it was so bad that profs couldn't make it into town).

Regarding cars...... back when SOV and I were children cars came with block heaters (or oil pan heaters) and you plugged them in at night and it helped them get off to a nicer start in the morning. I'm sure you can still get them in new cars, but they're largely unnecessary. They may help you get warm air into the cabin quicker, I suppose.

Newer, lighter engines with modern oils don't really need the overnight heating in order to start. As long as your battery is in decent shape, a car built within the last 7-8 years should start just fine on all but the really worst days of the year. My 2014 car did just fine every morning up in Duluth last January when it was -25F after being parked outside on a windy hill every night.

There are three big adjustments to make with cars in winter:

1) Driving: So-called 'black ice', ice, and snow are really hard to stop on. Give yourself plenty of room - way more than you think - until you get used to it and have a better idea how to accommodate the change. 4-wheel-drive vehicles do not stop quicker - they just do a better job of getting going. It's amazing how many people make the mistake of thinking their 4WD/AWD vehicle will stop more quickly.

2) Starting: Give yourself an extra 5-10 minutes in the morning to let your car warm up. It's nicer on your engine if you let the oil warm up at idle for at least a few minutes before you go running the RPMs up when your oil is still a block of ice. Newer oils do a better job, but it's still engine-friendly to let it warm up. The engine experts say that so long as you roll along at low RPMs for the first few minutes it's not necessary to let it warm up more than a few minutes (just wastes gas), but you need to give it at least SOME time to start heating up.

3) Pack an emergency kit in your car. Please. Don't be the idiot that says "Oh, I only drive in town, there's always help nearby." Just spend the money and put together a bag with a few layers of clothes, some very heavy blankets, a pile of hand warmers, jumper cables, and whatever else you think is important. Think how embarrassing it would be to freeze to death in a ditch now that you've been warned.

I don't drive a diesel, but I thought that in general they rely on heating devices (battery heaters, oil heaters, block heaters) moreso than non-diesels nowadays to manage cold weather.

Reactions: 2 users
Wildzoo - this only happens like twice a year in the winter at UTK....MN it's like an 11/12 months sort of thing :p

On the emergency kit - bring warm shoes or hiking boots or whatever. I would recommend you normally wear warm shoes but in case you decide not to, you will want shoes you can walk distances in and won't expose your feet to the cold.

Wildzoo - this only happens like twice a year in the winter at UTK....MN it's like an 11/12 months sort of thing :p

On the emergency kit - bring warm shoes or hiking boots or whatever. I would recommend you normally wear warm shoes but in case you decide not to, you will want shoes you can walk distances in and won't expose your feet to the cold.
Extra warm socks are a must too! Several pairs, because they can double as mittens.

I have a diesel truck and a diesel car and grew up in the Great White North.
Didn't have the car at the time, but had the truck...

NEVER use Biodiesel in the winter, or at very least, make sure it's B20 or less and risk it.

Replace fuel filters twice as often in the winter. With my truck, that's every other oil change...so 2-3 times a winter. The o-rings are plastic and can warp, letting water in. Vehicle will start when water is frozen, run for 5-10 seconds until the ice melts, then sputter and die. You can almost always get it running and to your mechanic by priming the crap out of the fuel filter directly, but it's easier to avoid the issue and replace fuel filters often. Also, they clog faster in the winter since diesel gels.

The engine block heater is great, except when you live in an apartment complex that gets "annoyed" when you run an extension cord out the window to your vehicle. My vehicles have thus survived a few winters without the use of the block heaters. I let them warm up for a minimum of 10-15 mins before going anywhere when the temp is below 20. Never had a problem with starting. Yes, idling a diesel is not great for it, but neither is running it cold, so I choose to idle it and change the oil often.

Finally, when starting the diesel in extreme cold, run the glow plugs 2 or 3 times before making the engine turnover. In some vehicles this makes a huge difference; a lot of tractors won't start in super cold temps with just one flash of the glow plugs. Yes, you probably burn them out faster, but id rather replace those and have the vehicle start...and I have yet to have to replace a set of glow plugs.

Also, for anyone driving in the winter, invest in good tires. 4wd is wonderful, but as previously noted, doesn't help you stop. Good tires won't let you drive like an idiot on ice and slam on the brakes and expect to still stop, but they'll make a difference if you're driving cautiously. Slick tires with no tread on a slick road is a recipe for disaster. If you are already sliding or spinning, take your foot off the stupid brake. It'll just make you spin faster.

I've been advising new AVC students to invest in snow shoes. I'm not kidding. We had 18 feet of snow this past winter. There were days that fourth years snow-shoed to school to check on in-patients.

I was just appreciating the good info :D Could be useful at some point in my life haha

Regarding cars...... back when SOV and I were children cars came with block heaters (or oil pan heaters) and you plugged them in at night and it helped them get off to a nicer start in the morning. I'm sure you can still get them in new cars, but they're largely unnecessary. They may help you get warm air into the cabin quicker, I suppose.
Um, I didn't grow up in a frozen tundra so I would have had no idea what you are talking about..... (but I fly airplanes with engines with 1940s-1950s technology so they definitely need a pre-heat to start in cold weather or they aren't starting. )

While all of you are worrying about adjusting to a new climate in a new place, I'm still having a hard enough time adjusting to summers in Philly and I've lived in PA all my life. It's sooo gross and humid today. Best part was that the A/C in the hospital decided to just die at 2 AM. Wasn't back on until around noon. Nothing's better than being damp and sticky all day.

Good tires won't let you drive like an idiot on ice and slam on the brakes and expect to still stop, but they'll make a difference if you're driving cautiously.
Very good advice.
So many *****s drive 4wd vehicles as if they are indestructible. um, no! Its always the 4wd cars in the ditches. They let you drive in conditions you might otherwise not be able to, but speed still kills in those conditions.

While all of you are worrying about adjusting to a new climate in a new place, I'm still having a hard enough time adjusting to summers in Philly and I've lived in PA all my life. It's sooo gross and humid today. Best part was that the A/C in the hospital decided to just die at 2 AM. Wasn't back on until around noon. Nothing's better than being damp and sticky all day.
today was/is disgusting. So happy i am not in Philly. Must smell wonderful there today. :rolleyes:

Streets were too bad unless you passed a particularly full dumpster. Parts of the hospital --stale mouse/various other animal urine.
when this happens go to 4th floor. They have those super low temperature coolers in the corridor to keep the old blood/tissue/urine/dna samples or whatever. there is usually some nice cold nitrogen gas or something around. I obviously have no idea what I am talking about, but the corridor is always really cold.

Like how cold are we talking?

View attachment 192717

My normal car was just fine down to a little below -20F for an extended period of time without doing anything special. People do things special in places like Alaska, but unless it's that cold I'm not sure you need anything in particular.

I'm personally pretty paranoid about harsh winters, so I only buy AWD vehicles, and this year also added on winter tires. I made sure this time around to have an automatic starter since i don't have a covered garage (sooo worth it). I never let my tank go below half a tank when it's super cold. I always keep a warm comforter and extra clothes in the car just in case. I also carry extra windshield wiper fluid, and really heavy duty snow/ice pusher offer.

Having a AAA membership is a good idea too - or some other dependable roadside assistance.

when this happens go to 4th floor. They have those super low temperature coolers in the corridor to keep the old blood/tissue/urine/dna samples or whatever. there is usually some nice cold nitrogen gas or something around. I obviously have no idea what I am talking about, but the corridor is always really cold.

Noted. Think I might have actually heard someone else mention this today as well.

Do you have an engine cover? If not, invest in one...it'll let your truck (I assume) heat up in 10-15 instead of 45 minutes. However, the main problem with diesel engines is not that the engine freezes up, but that the diesel fuel itself actually freezes into a gel. That's what happens when the school buses won't start, and can start happening at as high as 20F depending on the type of diesel you filled up with. They make fuel conditioners that claim to prevent the gelling until it gets even colder, but I personally have never used any here in Michigan and can't tell you if they work. Once the fuel does freeze, though, there's nothing you can do about it that I'm aware of. Really, most of those issues will be solved if you're able to park inside a garage.