Adjusting volk lenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scuttlebutt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried tightening the ring on their volk lenses? Apparently the 2 notches in the ring are used to tighten it when it comes loose.

If you have tried it what did you use and how hard was it?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was at the VA, the lens rings on their lenses were really loose, and it would rattle as I was examining patients. I found this to be very annoying after awhile, so I bent a paperclip appropriately and tightened the ring without scratching the lens. I'm sure there's probably some device designed for this purpose, but I've never seen it!

paperclip!

also, our bookstore does have a fancy device for this, so maybe yours does too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone tried tightening the ring on their volk lenses? Apparently the 2 notches in the ring are used to tighten it when it comes loose.

If you have tried it what did you use and how hard was it?

True, you can use a paperclip but being that my lens was a $300 lens, I simply called Volk and mailed it to them, they adjust ot for free. They also complimentary clean the lens for you !

True, you can use a paperclip but being that my lens was a $300 lens, I simply called Volk and mailed it to them, they adjust ot for free. They also complimentary clean the lens for you !

Wow, this is unbelievable to me because I have much trouble dealing with Volk's customer service regarding warranty issues. How old is your lens when it was sent back if I may ask? Do you have a correct contact at Volk?

Wow, this is unbelievable to me because I have much trouble dealing with Volk's customer service regarding warranty issues. How old is your lens when it was sent back if I may ask? Do you have a correct contact at Volk?

This happened to me while I was doing rotations years ago. But I remember just calling Volk, telling them what school I attend and saying I wanted to know if they could tighten my lens for me. You may have just had a bad customer service rep.

As long as its a Volk lens it shouldn't be a problem. Better to spend $3 in shipping to have them professionally do it & clean your lens than you take a chance with it.

This happened to me while I was doing rotations years ago. But I remember just calling Volk, telling them what school I attend and saying I wanted to know if they could tighten my lens for me. You may have just had a bad customer service rep.

As long as its a Volk lens it shouldn't be a problem. Better to spend $3 in shipping to have them professionally do it & clean your lens than you take a chance with it.

Students usually get everything warranted until graduation. I wonder if Volk would treat a Dr. the same.

I might see if I can find out. One of my lenses finally just fell right out and I haven't figured out a way to get it to stay back in. =(

I might see if I can find out. One of my lenses finally just fell right out and I haven't figured out a way to get it to stay back in. =(

If you are OD you're out of luck. However, the warranty for when you're in school should cover that no problem.

If you are OD you're out of luck. However, the warranty for when you're in school should cover that no problem.
I know it's not going to be as good as school warranty, not even close. I just want to know what they'd say if I asked them about it.

I know it's not going to be as good as school warranty, not even close. I just want to know what they'd say if I asked them about it.

Please do keep us posted. =)

Please do keep us posted. =)

Some of the doctors I've known have just given their Volk lenses to students that they've kept in touch with, and the students in turn just bring them into the school bookstore and get the lenses replaced free.

If you've graduated, you're out of luck, therefore, the only way to get service is via a current student.

I thought mayyybe I could at least pay them to repair it and it be cheaper than buying a whole new one. I haven't been terribly optimistic though or I would have done something weeks ago when it happened. I'm not in a huge bind or anything. My Super 66 fell apart, so I've just been using my 90.

I thought mayyybe I could at least pay them to repair it and it be cheaper than buying a whole new one. I haven't been terribly optimistic though or I would have done something weeks ago when it happened. I'm not in a huge bind or anything. My Super 66 fell apart, so I've just been using my 90.

I find the idea having "pay" to have a lens re-screwed into the ring. -- The lens shouldn't ever back out like that. =(

As a response to the threads: Tightening the lenses is always free of charge at Volk Optical. Most school bookstores have a special tool for tightening. You can also send the lens to Volk, see an authorized dealer or visit our booth at a tradeshow for on-the-spot tightening.
I would offer a suggestion - when cleaning your lenses, make sure to hold the ring and clean just one side at a time. Cleaning both sides in a counter clockwise direction could unscew the lens over time from the ring. I hope that this helps.

Thanks! - Volk Optical

I read once that one could buy a paint brush at an art supply store to use to dust your lens. Does anybody who has one of those Volk lens pens/duster brushes know what kind of brush it is so that I could find it in a store instead of ordering it online?

I recommend getting 1 of those lens cleaning pens either from Volk or a camera store or ebay. I think the pens were originally designed for camera equipment and I have a cheap version which does a very good job. 1 end has the brush for the dust while the other end is carbon tipped which is suppose to be very good at absorbing the oil and removing fingerprints too.