Adjustments to LizzyM score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I put some sort of adjustment to my LizzyM score to adjust for my race? I'm Asian so should I subtract an amount from my score?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not? Do URMs get to add to their LizzyM score?
Devices designed to give an approximation of the strength of one's candidacy are exactly that, an approximation. It is expected that the applicant will fine tune their list of schools to match mission, geography and any other pertinent data.

Reactions: 2 users
Should I put some sort of adjustment to my LizzyM score to adjust for my race? I'm Asian so should I subtract an amount from my score?

I suspect that to the extent that it is useful, the LizzyM score is well-calibrated for ORM applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Where do I figure out my LizzyM score?

(MCAT) + (GPA * 10) = LizzyM. Sometimes they tell you to (LizzyM - 1) but it is essentially the same thing. This is probably going to change with the new MCAT though...

And to give you an idea, here are some random LizzyM scores for medical schools:

Albany= 68
Harvard= 76
NYU = 75
New York Medical College= 68
CCOM= 65
U IL= 69
Dartmouth= 72
U Miami= 71
SLU= 71
LSU-NO= 68
Penn State= 69
Touro-NY= 65
LUCOM= 58

And to give you an idea, here are some random LizzyM scores for medical schools:

Albany= 68
Harvard= 76
NYU = 75
New York Medical College= 68
CCOM= 65
U IL= 69
Dartmouth= 72
U Miami= 71
SLU= 71
LSU-NO= 68
Penn State= 69
Touro-NY= 65
LUCOM= 58

As an admissions committee member how accurate is LizzyM score? I feel like most med schools weight GPA higher. For example, would you say someone with a 3.5 GPA and a 35 MCAT would be a significantly weaker candidate than someone with a 3.8 GPA and a 32 MCAT?

You're engaging in the fool's errand in thinking one stat is better than the other. Stats aren't the only thing. Numbers get you to the door, but ECs get you through the door.

The LizzyM score is a rule of thumb for SDNers. I doubt that many Adcom members have ever heard of it.

Both of the number sets you show below are competitive for many med schools, but maybe not Harvard or NYU. A 3.5 GPA is below avg for acceptees there, but the 35 GPA is in striking distance. A 32 MCAT would probably be rejected from both schools and other top ones.

In summary, MD school weight both stats highly, because it's a seller's market. DO schools can vary (my Dean likes high MCATs, so do the deans at CCOM and the Touros).

EDIT: I get the sense that many schools will add a +1 for veterans.

As an admissions committee member how accurate is LizzyM score? I feel like most med schools weight GPA higher. For example, would you say someone with a 3.5 GPA and a 35 MCAT would be a significantly weaker candidate than someone with a 3.8 GPA and a 32 MCAT?

You're engaging in the fool's errand in thinking one stat is better than the other. Stats aren't the only thing. Numbers get you to the door, but ECs get you through the door.

The LizzyM score is a rule of thumb for SDNers. I doubt that many Adcom members have ever heard of it.

Both of the number sets you show below are competitive for many med schools, but maybe not Harvard or NYU. A 3.5 GPA is below avg for acceptees there, but the 35 GPA is in striking distance. A 32 MCAT would probably be rejected from both schools and other top ones.

In summary, MD school weight both stats highly, because it's a seller's market. DO schools can vary (my Dean likes high MCATs, so do the deans at CCOM and the Touros).

EDIT: I get the sense that many schools will add a +1 for veterans.

What are the sorts of "standard" ECs that aren't really outstanding but are sufficient to get you through the door in less selective allopathic schools? How much is expected?

> 40 hrs shadowing.
>100 hrs clinical volunteering
> 100 hr non-clinical volunteering.
Research (pubs NOT required)

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanism side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.
I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, camps for sick children, or clinics. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

What are the sorts of "standard" ECs that aren't really outstanding but are sufficient to get you through the door in less selective allopathic schools? How much is expected?