Admin position - would you do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM4life

attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need advice, was asked by some of my group members if I wanted to run for chief of staff at a hospital I work at. Being only 4 years out from residency, on one hand I am very excited to be named and the long term goals are to do more admin work. On the other hand, I'm not sure if this is too big of an admin role for someone who's had minimal admin experience to start with. I'm curious to what SDNs thoughts are, and especially those of you in leadership positions such as this, do you feel you could've done this well 4 years after residency and what do you feel the biggest pluses and minuses are. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have the rest of them done it, and now it's "your turn" as the most qualified that hasn't? If so, then yeah, it's probably just another feather in the cap.
If the rest of them haven't, you need to ask them why you need to do it when they haven't.

Reactions: 2 users
Have the rest of them done it, and now it's "your turn" as the most qualified that hasn't? If so, then yeah, it's probably just another feather in the cap.
If the rest of them haven't, you need to ask them why you need to do it when they haven't.

The people who are asking me have done it or are in the process yes...there are some older members of the group who've never done it and not interested in admin stuff. I get the feeling that's the reason they are asking me - some older partners are not interested because they've been doing this for a while and not interested in all the politics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Typically the chief of staff is going to have one or more admin support people that will walk you through the more day to day stuff. The job will involve having super uncomfortable conversations if there are physicians that need to be disciplined. There are definitely advantages in terms of keeping some of the more petty/stupid issues that can effect the ED from moving forward and it will be a personal growth opportunity.

I would be reimbursed admin time at my clinical hourly rate yes.
same pay for every minute on the job as admin? yeah, I'd throw my hat in the ring and see what happens

Reactions: 1 user
I would be reimbursed admin time at my clinical hourly rate yes.

Thats interesting. I always assumed chief of staff was a labor of love. So is the hospital or your ED group reimbursing you? Our group never reimburses for positions like chief of staff. I am in line for Chief soon and I think I will probe this issue.

Reactions: 1 user