Admin time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much admin time, that is, time to write intake/treatment notes, call patients, care/case manangment etc. do you guys have built into your schedule? Is it even "built in" to your schedule at all? Stating your practice setting would helpful too. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How much admin time, that is, time to write intake/treatment notes, call patients, care/case manangment etc. do you guys have built into your schedule? Is it even "built in" to your schedule at all? Stating your practice setting would helpful too. Thanks!
I'm in the VA full-time. Mine is sporadic, not built into my schedule, just take care of it as it comes. So far this works. This may change come September as my administrative duties will likely substantially increase though.

VA full-time as well. I get to apportion my admin time as I see fit, although I have to work around the periodic meetings that other department heads around here seem unable to resist scheduling at times, care planning meetings, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in academic med (60/20/20 for in-pt, out-pt, research).

0hr/wk for setting/changing appts (out-pt, admin handles this)
<1hr/wk case management (out-pt, neuropsych only practice)
2-4hr/wk administrative meetings (in-pt)
2-3hr/wk billing (fill out forms/Dxs for billing company)
30hr/wk Patient contact, progress notes, report writing
10hr/wk Research
5-10hr/wk Professional Development

*edit to make more succinct*

Last edited:

I work at a VA and we get 4 hours a week for Admin time scheduled. I've attempted to add additional admin time since I run multiple CPT groups by myself, which requires a lot of work.

I currently work in the outpatient clinic of a hospital, and as I get a production compensation package, I try to minimize admin time to no shows and cancellations. I also can dictate progress notes and intakes so that helps. Completing assessment reports may be tougher once I get a full schedule.

Solo private practice. I try for 15 mins between clients. Sometimes I see patients back to back and in that case I complete double notes in the next 15 min break or at he end of the day. Having checklist style/ standard soap notes for the insurance based clients helps.