admission for students who are diagnosed with tuberculosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardwork_80

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
one of my friends got admitted in a dental college this year and has been diagnosed with tb.can he get admission or he will b refused on health grounds

Members don't see this ad.

Tuberculosis is a complex disease with multiple different presentations and disease progressions. There is a protocol that is followed for people with a history of TB or history of a positive TB test. It would really depend on your (your friend's) situation as to whether there is an issue with admittance. I would think that if there is a positive TB test without evidence of active disease and a negative chest film as well as documentation of prior treatment to completion of therapy then your friend should not be any different from the rest of the general public.

Dont know the details but had a friend or two with a positive skin test. They needed a chest x-ray and one had to go on like 6 to 9 months worth of antibiotics during which they could not drink alcohol. Since the 1 st year is primarily book work I dont see why he would loose his admission offer. He should get the details and contact the school. If worse comes to worse the school should be able to delay his matriculation for 1 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
J2AZ said:
Dont know the details but had a friend or two with a positive skin test. They needed a chest x-ray and one had to go on like 6 to 9 months worth of antibiotics during which they could not drink alcohol. Since the 1 st year is primarily book work I dont see why he would loose his admission offer. He should get the details and contact the school. If worse comes to worse the school should be able to delay his matriculation for 1 year.

Uh.....active TB + classroom full of innoculable students = bad....i don't think you will be let in.

If it is inactive(latent stage)...I still don't think you'll be let in.

If it is a positive PPD because of past infection with resolution (or tx) then sure.

I'm sure if your infected they will jsut deny your admission to that year and make you get treated first.

I just sent in my health screening form and on the cover letter it said that the results of the tests would not affect admissions status... so at least for our school.. i think they just want to know so you can get treated before classes start.

Generally you must be tested for it and if you are positive you must show a treatment plan attesting that you aren't a risk to students/patients. The active form is what they're testing for.