admission into MD as MBBS 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sowmya100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to practice medicine in the US, you're going to have to go to a US medical school, which will need to be preceded by yoru getting a UG degree here in the US.

Your MCAT will make it hard for MD (you're circling the drain), but possible for DO, once you get past explaining that the "free" part part outweighed going to a DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Goro. When all is said and done, you are unfortunately going to be a good lesson for all those threads on the high school board suggesting one might save $ and time just going overseas to India for your medical degree right out of high school...

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
I am a US citizen studying 1st year MBBS in Govt college in India which I got in Merit list free ofcost. I will be finishing it in last August this year. I have MCAT 27. I do not like this school and hence willing to take chances.

1) Apply to MD program ? Do I have a chance without a premed UG degree and have credits worth of one year in Medical school.

As others have noted, your MCAT is going to be an issue. But even with a better score, you need a US undergraduate degree. You are not currently eligible without such.

2) Transfer to UG premed program: If yes, which universities would consider Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry as transferrable credits and give me considerable credits. Which universities are the best, affordable and transferrable for spring 2016.

Please help.

At this point you need to assume that none of your credits from Government College are transferrable and that you are starting from scratch obtaining a US undergraduate degree.

As for which universities are best and affordable, have you lived in the US? The most affordable (generally) are those in your state of residence or those where you would be eligible for substantial financial aid. The best? Up for debate.

please suggest affordable univ that has low OOS tuition and good programs for physics major.

please suggest affordable univ that has low OOS tuition and good programs for physics major.
Do you have any relatives in the US that you could live with while you work for a year to establish state residency? Most states require that you reside in their state for a year for noneducational purposes. There are exceptions, like Massachusetts, that require 5 years. Once you have achieved residency status, public universities in that state tend to be least expensive. Some of them will have a good reputation specifically for Physics, if you want to keep that major.

Texas is a terrific state for med school applicants. To establish domicile in Texas, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:
  1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months by doing one of the following:
  • Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.)
  • Own residential real property in Texas
  • Own a business in Texas
  • Have a state or local license to practice a profession
  • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12878596&postcount=8

Best schools for Physics: http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory.com/graduate-schools/sciences/physics.aspx