Admission Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to take th April Mcat. I wanted to know how the porcess works. Is it too early to fill the AMCAS application out? Also, when I get reccomendation letters, do I ask the teacher to send one or do they have to send it to all the schools I am applying to. I wanted to ask some teachers for a reccomnedation to get started and I wasnt sure where they send it. Do they send it to AMCAS adn then AMCAS send it to the different schools? In a nutshell I wanted to know: 1.) Is it too early to fill AMCAS for APril?
2.) How does recommendation process work?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. AMCAS will open around May 1 for you to fill it out.
2. Depending on your school, you ask the writers to write your recc and send it to either your schools committee/letter collecting service or Interfolio (online letter collection equivalent) or directly to all of the schools you are applying to. I recc. one of the first two since it is a hassle to have your prof handle sending out multiple letters.

Timeline:

Start studying either in November/December or most probably in January(when most people start studying for the MCAT) up until mid April when the test is. After taking the MCAT, you'll have a couple weeks or so before the AMCAS comes out.

As Brett pointed out, AMCAS generally comes out on May 1st. Begin to fill it out and work on your personal statement. Then when you get done with that, you will wait til about June 1st until you are able to fully submit it. However, I'd wait to see what your April MCAT scores are first. April scores will come out mid June so that is not too bad. You'll still be verified earlier then most people and be early in the game. After submission you will wait til shortly after July 4th weekend for the schools to start viewing your application. At that time, secondaries will start arriving. Some EDP schools will start interviewing at the end of July, as well as Texas schools.......most however will start in August or more or less September.

Now onto Letters of Recommendation..........

Find out if you have a committee or a place at your school where you are to send your letters to. Your advisor will have this info. If not, you can use an official program like http://www.interfolio.com

Interfolio is what our school uses because they got rid of the office where students used to send the letters and don't have a committee.

Gathering letters now is not a bad idea. Actually, it is a GREAT idea because teachers can take forever to do such things. Typically most schools require 2 science professors and 1 nonscience professor to write your letters. You may also need or be allowed to submit two character letters, like one from a research advisor, job manager, peer, or doctor. These are letters that just tell about your general traits and give an idea about who you are from a non academic standpoint.

Things to consider giving professors when asking for a letter........a short personal statement(does not necessarily have to be your AMCAS one), a resume, and a copy of your transcripts. make sure who ever you get will write a STRONG letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guju you are the best! Its these samll replies that may not take long but do a great deal for others. Thanks alot! Also, what are secondaries? Do they send these if the school is interested in you or to everyone applying to the school? :confused:

Thanks!

rs76 said:
Guju you are the best! Its these samll replies that may not take long but do a great deal for others. Thanks alot! Also, what are secondaries? Do they send these if the school is interested in you or to everyone applying to the school? :confused:

Thanks!

The short answer: An excuse for the school to get fees from you because the AMCAS fees don't go to the schools, but to the AAMC. This funds for interview days.

The long answer: Some screen and give it to you if they want to further pursue you, others don't screen at all. It should say in the MSAR: Medical School Admissions Requirement book which ones do and don't screen.

Some of these secondary application questions involve just repeating what is on your AMCAS, some involve many different essays, others involve a way to expand upon who you are.

The way USF's admissions director said it is, and this is for their COM......AMCAS = Why medicine? Secondaries = tell me about yourself.

Look through the secondary prompt thread stickied at the top of the Preallo page, if you would like to see what is on different secondary applications. It is pretty informative.

About the MSAR, you can purchase this at AAMC.org or at Amazon.com

Or you can see if your school library, career center, or advisor's office has a copy. If you are by a med school, see if their med library has a copy.

What is the best time to send secondary..?? I know people would say as soon as you can. But like submitting it by October would give you a fair chance or by December?? Like that timeline. .

JustR said:
What is the best time to send secondary..?? I know people would say as soon as you can. But like submitting it by October would give you a fair chance or by December?? Like that timeline. .

People suggest a 2 week turn around where possible.

THANKS...gujuDoc

But i got my secondaries like three weeks ago and none of them are due soon. I was taking MCAT, so if I had pushed them far for about a month, is it okey?? or I screwed up??

JustR said:
THANKS...gujuDoc

But i got my secondaries like three weeks ago and none of them are due soon. I was taking MCAT, so if I had pushed them far for about a month, is it okey?? or I screwed up??

Yeah, it should be ok because you were studying for MCAT. What I mean is, don't wait til like right before the deadline. Like if the deadline is in January for a secondary, then don't wait til that deadline or even November. Start trying to get it in sooner rather then later. Good luck.

gujuDoc said:
Yeah, it should be ok because you were studying for MCAT. What I mean is, don't wait til like right before the deadline. Like if the deadline is in January for a secondary, then don't wait til that deadline or even November. Start trying to get it in sooner rather then later. Good luck.

Thanks!!! More questions. Can you add extra stuff to the secondaries or no? Like some schools they say, addition documents are not required, but one could wish to submit. Then, is it okey to send something typed for about pages or two??

What type of stuff would be on the extra page? Most should be on AMCAS/Secondary essays. Also, make sure you don't shoot all your bullets now, you might need one for later.

BrettBatchelor said:
What type of stuff would be on the extra page? Most should be on AMCAS/Secondary essays. Also, make sure you don't shoot all your bullets now, you might need one for later.

that's a great tip saving some for later.. yeah it's a good way.... For exmple, if a letter says, “Turn in your letters of recommendation by blah date and if you want to submit an additional material then you may wish to do so, but it is not required.”
Now, what to write and what not to?
Is it okey to submit additional material?
Where would everything fit when they don't ask me write anything on the secondary??

Go on the first page!!!

All right !!! last try to see if someone can answer the questions for me