Admission Requirement - Any Hopes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

actingnurse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a Registered Nurse for over eight years now and will graduate as an FNP in less than 18 months (four clinicals away).
Nursing never required physics, biochem, or organic chem - however it looks like most med schools require it. Are exceptions ever made with applicants who are in their late 30's and already a medical professional? If so, can you recommend any schools who may be more lenient?

Members don't see this ad.

The following schools do not have "pre-requisite" courses:

Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
USC Keck
Stanford
Rush Medical College
Southern Illinois
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
NYU
University of Cincinnati
Drexel
University of Pennsylvania
Sydney Kimmel
University of South Carolina (Charleston)
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
Duke
East Tennessee State
U of Chicago
U Conn
UCSD
GW

They do however, expect that you can show them that you have mastered the content required to succeed in medical school. Experience alone won't cut it. You will also notice that many of them are quite competitive and some of them strongly prefer IS applicants.

Hey there. I am on the path for RN to MD (applicant). Some schools to not explicitly require those classes, but all of those classes will be necessary and important to do well on the MCAT. Having just took the MCAT, it is extremely dense with difficult science questions. Look into post-baccalaureate pre-medical programs, they are becoming extremely popular for career changers. Your extensive clinical experience will ABSOLUTELY benefit you when you get into medical school, but it is only secondarily relevant for the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a Registered Nurse for over eight years now and will graduate as an FNP in less than 18 months (four clinicals away).
Nursing never required physics, biochem, or organic chem - however it looks like most med schools require it. Are exceptions ever made with applicants who are in their late 30's and already a medical professional? If so, can you recommend any schools who may be more lenient?

There are no exceptions. You need these courses to succeed in the MCAT and be considered a competitive applicant. They aren't that bad and if you really apply yourself, you can knock them out in in 2.5 years max.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The following schools do not have "pre-requisite" courses:

Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
USC Keck
Stanford
Rush Medical College
Southern Illinois
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
NYU
University of Cincinnati
Drexel
University of Pennsylvania
Sydney Kimmel
University of South Carolina (Charleston)
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
Duke
East Tennessee State
U of Chicago
U Conn
UCSD
GW

They do however, expect that you can show them that you have mastered the content required to succeed in medical school. Experience alone won't cut it. You will also notice that many of them are quite competitive and some of them strongly prefer IS applicants.

Quite a few of them have IS bias though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile