Admissions Committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freesolo

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats it take to get on an admissions committee as a med student? I'm just wondering if the med students really want to do it or is it something to pad your resume

Members don't see this ad.

Abe said:
Whats it take to get on an admissions committee as a med student? I'm just wondering if the med students really want to do it or is it something to pad your resume
Why do you want to do it?

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, it's an office you run for and are elected to by your classmates--just like class treasurer, president, representative, etc.

My motivation for running was to help pre-meds through all of the b%llsh*t that the process of med-school applications brings with it. That and I wanted to be active in deciding who becomes my peer in the future.

I didn't get elected though, so I won't have any inside info.

I got selected (by our MSS) to be a 1st year rep on the commitee.. what does it take? A genuine interest in the process and helping to better it, I guess. For me the process has always interested me and like PBMaxx said, a big thing is having a role in deciding who my future colleagues will be

Abe said:

Yeah, I never understood why people wanted to apply for these positions either. It's like being on the Honor Committee in your undergrad. I think it's a combination of genuine interest in the process and the desire for power. Sounds :sleep: to me though.

don't do it...i knew the 2 in my class that did the admissions committee and it took so much of their free time to do it.

At my school it's a group of Med1s who select the Med2s to be on the admissions committee through a process of reading essays and interviewing. We are in the process of reading essays now. It's really hard to pick people since everyone pretty much says the same thing. I don't think it's *necessarily* a power trip. Many people sincerely believe they are consummate judges of human character (which makes you wonder).

I've been interested in this too. My top choice doesn't cast MS's as interviewers though, but I'd love to get involved in some capacity.

I'm still pre-med, but I think it would be great to be involved in an adcom. Mostly because I would want to dig past all the people with perfect numbers, and give a chance to those people with interesting backgrounds. Plus, having interviewed people in the past, I find it fun to get to meet new people (and sometimes a bit of a challenge to get people to relax enough to let you see who they really are).

I'm in the interview committee for my school. Basically, another set of medical students who've been in the interview committee before selected us. In a nutshell, I joined because I wanted to help out the students who are passionate to make it in, and help weed out those with the "wrong" attitudes and ideas of why they want to go into medicine. Don't get me wrong, I in no way suggest that I have an unparalleled ability to judge character, but honestly, I would rather have "me" in the committee (who's not out there to get you) rather than some others who just have power trips doing it.

rockdoc said:
I'm in the interview committee for my school. Basically, another set of medical students who've been in the interview committee before selected us. In a nutshell, I joined because I wanted to help out the students who are passionate to make it in, and help weed out those with the "wrong" attitudes and ideas of why they want to go into medicine. Don't get me wrong, I in no way suggest that I have an unparalleled ability to judge character, but honestly, I would rather have "me" in the committee (who's not out there to get you) rather than some others who just have power trips doing it.

At our school anyone who signs up gets to interview a few times a semester. We get some say in the admissions decision, but for the most part the student interview is just so the person interviewing can have a chance to ask questions in a one-on-one setting, without all the pressure you can feel when you're with a faculty interviewer. We never talk about grades, MCATs, etc., so our input to the admissions committee is just based on whether this person is someone we'd feel comfortable working with if they were accepted.

--------------------------
http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=21779090

I help out with admissions at my school and there are NO students on the adcom at the present time. No student interviewers either. Keep that in mind if you come here and stay with a host or something. Just have fun.

Im hoping that by my 4th year they change the policy and let some of us in on the fun but it isnt likely.

I'm on the admissions committee at my school. It's a pretty popular activity here (in terms of the number of people who apply, anyway; there are limited spaces) -- most people consider it to be fun, and enjoy the chance to help shape the next class. I don't know how good it looks on CVs -- I'm sure at least as good as involvement in any other established organization (Student Council, etc.) How the selection process works at my school is that all rising third and fourth years who are interested submit an essay explaining why, what they would bring to the position, etc. The executive officers of the student council pick the best ones.