Admissions Committees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davina3000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who exactly makes up Admissions Committees? Are the Dean of Admissions, Asst. Dean etc. a part of it or separate? Is the person who interviews you necessarily a part of the ADCOM, or do they just write a review and then the final decision is left up to people who never met you? Sorry if this sounds like a question with an obvious answer. It's something I've been pondering and I thought I'd throw it out there and see what other people know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i think it might vary from school to school. i know a dr i work with used to be on the ad com for dartmouth -- hes a well respected physician in the area but has no other affiliation, so he told me that he would interview students, write it up, and then the entire committee would go over the whole applicant. i know some schools use students and professors, but i think it varies.

Davina3000 said:
Who exactly makes up Admissions Committees? Are the Dean of Admissions, Asst. Dean etc. a part of it or separate? Is the person who interviews you necessarily a part of the ADCOM, or do they just write a review and then the final decision is left up to people who never met you? Sorry if this sounds like a question with an obvious answer. It's something I've been pondering and I thought I'd throw it out there and see what other people know. Thanks!

I'm an MS IV on the admissions committee this year. There are 2 other students with me and 6-8 or so professors from the first 2 years, a couple from the clinical years, some administration bigwigs Dean etc, and 3 or 4 local docs from the community, and even an english undergrad teacher. There are a few (maybe 4-5) adjunct interviewers in the community who only interview and dont vote. Everyone on the committee interviews and votes. Idont know what its like elsewhere but this seems to be similar as someone on this committee mentioned at the last meeting that he had been on a couple of these elsewhere and acted as if they were similar. Hope this helps

Davina3000 said:

It varies from school to school.....Dean and Asst. dean along with clinical and basic sc professors make up the committee......as someone else mentioned .... some school invite their students (yrs 2,3, and 4) to be on the admissions committee as well. It is not necessary for your interviewer to be on the committee, and they might just do a writeup on you to be presented to the committee i.e. don't vote on your file ...

Hope that helps....