Admissions consultant from Harvard AdCom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dirtyshoe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I remember reading a NY Times article that had quotes from a former Harvard Med AdCom member who now worked as a admissions consultant advising pre-meds. I bookmarked the article but then lost it. :(

Does anybody have the link article I'm talking about, or know who I might be talking about? I've found the names of a bunch of admissions consultants, but none of them is ex-HMS.

Yes, I know that admissions consultants are useless and SDN is the best :p, but humor me here...

Members don't see this ad.

A few months ago, I remember reading a NY Times article that had quotes from a former Harvard Med AdCom member who now worked as a admissions consultant advising pre-meds. I bookmarked the article but then lost it. :(

Does anybody have the link article I'm talking about, or know who I might be talking about? I've found the names of a bunch of admissions consultants, but none of them is ex-HMS.

Yes, I know that admissions consultants are useless and SDN is the best :p, but humor me here...

http://www.insidermedicaladmissions.com

I realize you did not ask for this, but I will give you some advice. I strongly recommend INQUARTA for admissions counseling. PM me if you have questions. They are EXCELLENT.

Note that I was accepted EDP into a US allopathic program on September 29th of this year. I don't believe I would have been able to pull this off without these folks.

Good luck.

See http://www.inquarta.com

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize you did not ask for this, but I will give you some advice. I strongly recommend INQUARTA for admissions counseling. PM me if you have questions. They are EXCELLENT.

Note that I was accepted EDP into a US allopathic program on September 29th of this year. I don't believe I would have been able to pull this off without these folks.

Good luck.

See http://www.inquarta.com

Thanks and congratulations. Which of their services did you use?

Judging by your activities and your 4.0 GPA, I think this is probably a waste of money for you. Just write a few good essays and get everything in early. Have friends/family/mentors look over them. I can definitely see how these services can be helpful, but with careful planning you can save yourself an enormous amount of money. This whole process is expensive to begin with, don't make it more so with things you probably don't need.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you. I did their comprehensive package -- all services. This is expensive, but gives you access to them 24/7/365. I tested this. It is really true. Any time I e-mailed them, I got a response within 2 hours, but usually within 2 minutes -- always. I thought it was worth it. This is just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Thank you. I did their comprehensive package -- all services. This is expensive, but gives you access to them 24/7/365. I tested this. It is really true. Any time I e-mailed them, I got a response within 2 hours, but usually within 2 minutes -- always. I thought it was worth it. This is just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Hmm dirtyshoe and netminder both have moderately small # of posts each.

I talked to a woman at Insider Medical Admissions. I was going to hire her. Harvard is my dream school and I would do anything to get an edge. I was about to pay and decided to call Harvard med first. Turns out she was NEVER :eek:on the medical school admissions committee at Harvard.

I decided to work with another Harvard med grad admissions consultant who did not misrepresent themselves or their credentials so I hope will not misrepresent me. :thumbup:

Don't know about Inquarta.

You guys kiddin me?

This is as real as it gets, my friend.

Oh, no, it's for real, I agree. I am dead serious. I would give this some serious thought. I did. And after 9/29, I no longer have to worry about med school admissions -- done. On to studying for Step I.

Good luck, all. PM me if I can give you any perspective you feel might be helpful (or even entertaining).

I talked to a woman at Insider Medical Admissions. I was going to hire her. Harvard is my dream school and I would do anything to get an edge. I was about to pay and decided to call Harvard med first. Turns out she was NEVER :eek:on the medical school admissions committee at Harvard.

I decided to work with another Harvard med grad admissions consultant who did not misrepresent themselves or their credentials so I hope will not misrepresent me. :thumbup:

Don't know about Inquarta.

Good deal. See, this is part of the problem. Some of this is a gamble. Are these folks playing on our fears? Of course? Are our fears justified? Of course. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for spending money on something you feel you need to help you acheive your goals.

Period. End of story.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just looked on that doctor's website out of curiosity and I am also concerned that she is misrepresenting her credentials. Not sure if she was or wasn't an adcom. But she says she trained "at Harvard" for emergency medicine but Harvard isn't a hospital. Perhaps she trained at the BI, or the Brigham (affiliated with Harvard) but there is no such thing as a Harvard residency as far as I can tell. I know its not a lie on her part but still, it's not the whole truth.

Who was the other person? Please PM if you don't want to publish here...

I just looked on that doctor's website out of curiosity and I am also concerned that she is misrepresenting her credentials. Not sure if she was or wasn't an adcom. But she says she trained "at Harvard" for emergency medicine but Harvard isn't a hospital. Perhaps she trained at the BI, or the Brigham (affiliated with Harvard) but there is no such thing as a Harvard residency as far as I can tell. I know its not a lie on her part but still, it's not the whole truth.

http://www.massgeneral.org/education/residency.aspx?id=46

I believe the residency is "centralized" through Harvard at the HMS affiliated hospitals. I know some of the other residencies are also Harvard-wide rather than hospital specific.

Hahaha..sorry couldn't resist..but reading this thread made me feel like I was being recruited for a cult..

I do agree that those services are a little outlandish when you have access to great online FREE resources..

I was doing research to help my daughter. I found this forum and decided to make the necessary phone calls to find out if Dr. Finkel is the admissions insider she claims to be. It took some time but this is what I found:

1) Never on a medical schoool admissions committee

2) Was on a residency admissions committee but only for one year (2002 -2003)

The name of her business is entirely misleading and I wonder if Harvard is aware of this?

Oh, no, it's for real, I agree. I am dead serious. I would give this some serious thought. I did. And after 9/29, I no longer have to worry about med school admissions -- done. On to studying for Step I.

Good luck, all. PM me if I can give you any perspective you feel might be helpful (or even entertaining).

Studying for Step 1 is always a high yield activity before you start med school.

This thread is absurd. Buy a couple of good books about the med school application process, and learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff on SDN, and you will know everything that you need to know about applying to med school. Save your money.

Studying for Step 1 is always a high yield activity before you start med school.

This thread is absurd. Buy a couple of good books about the med school application process, and learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff on SDN, and you will know everything that you need to know about applying to med school. Save your money.

Agreed. Aside from SDN, there are always advisors at your university that can help you (whether they are actually useful or not, that's another debate). If there is a med school near where you live, consider setting up an appointment with one of their admissions advisors. They will give you the most accurate answers about the entire application process and what adcoms look for, at least what their school wants to see in an applicant. All of this can be done for free and a little bit of time.

Now that I look over at her bio again, that insider lady never claimed she was on the adcom of Harvard. Simply an admissions officer does not mean she is on the committee. Most likely she was just presenting a lot of factual information on there (emergency medicine, residency, admissions, review applications... etc), and our fascinated, powerful, good-working pre-med brains just love to make connection and rationalize everything, which led to one conclusion --> That Harvard lady is on the admissions committee, which she never said she was.

And even if Harvard is aware of that, they probably can't do anything about it cause she was just stating facts; it is you guys that make the connection... interesting

particularly with obsessed, neurotic pre-meds and college students with rich parents

and those are usually identifiable easily
just look out for those premeds who actually have the money to wear suits just for their avatar.:D

and those are usually identifiable easily
just look out for those premeds who actually have the money to wear suits just for their avatar.:D

I can barely put the food on the table, let alone afford a pristine, prepped Harvard educated interview coach. :p

Its a miracle I got into medical school at all really. I thank god every day.

Hahaha..sorry couldn't resist..but reading this thread made me feel like I was being recruited for a cult..

I do agree that those services are a little outlandish when you have access to great online FREE resources..

Agreed, I got the feeling I had stumbled onto the Hallmark channel at 3am and wondered when they were going to tell me I got the second one free and only needed to pay $89.97 s&h.

Good luck.

And I'm giving it away for free????

Reactions: 9 users
Hi all,
I was recently searching SDN and found this thread. I was disheartened by the (anonymous) attacks on my integrity, so I thought I would restate my credentials for anyone who was misinformed.

I graduated from Stanford University with honors in 1991. I attended Harvard Medical School (HMS), graduating in 1996. (I took advantage of the HMS 5-year plan, completing an American Association for the Advancement of Science Mass Media Fellowship where I honed my writing skills. I also completed work at an underserved clinic in Mexico.) I was then accepted to the Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency Program (HAEMR), where I did most of my training at Mass General and the Brigham and Women's Hospital. For those who question the legitimacy of this program, here is the link. I feel fortunate to have trained at one of the most respected emergency medicine programs in the country. At the end of my residency, I was asked to stay on as HMS faculty and as an attending emergency physician at Mass General. I worked there for 5 years. During that time, I spent the first 18 months working with the HAEMR admissions committee - interviewing applicants, participating in exclusive meetings about candidates, and attending final Match meetings. After that year and a half of admissions work, I was selected to be the Assistant Residency Director for HAEMR. In that role, I read scores of ERASes, helping to decide whom to invite for interview; interviewed scores of applicants; participated in exclusive meetings about candidates, attended final Match meetings, and helped make final decisions about whom to rank highly on our Match list. After 18 months as Assistant Residency Director for HAEMR, I volitionally resigned from the post because I could not manage a full clinical work load and the 20 hours per week I was spending on residency work, including admissions. Please note: I was not on the Harvard Medical School admissions committee, and I have never claimed to be. Before leaving Harvard to move West with my future husband, I won the HAEMR Best Mentor Award, the Partners in Excellence Award for Leadership and Innovation, the HAEMR “Golden Hammer” Award for residency contributions, the Partners in Excellence Award for Teamwork, and the HAEMR Outstanding New Attending Award.

Once I moved to California, I started my consulting company Insider Medical Admissions. I have now assisted well, well over 1000 clients with their residency and medical school applications.

With regard to my prices, they reflect the demand for my services. However, if an applicant has serious financial constraints (FAP grant for example), please contact me. I do provide assistance on a case-by-case basis. I believe I am the only admissions company who offers that courtesy. Unlike many companies, I personally review every single document. As my demand skyrocketed over the years, I raised my prices, so that I had time to maintain high quality advising, work clinically in the emergency department, and spend time with my family.

If you have any questions or doubts about my credentials, please email me directly. I'm happy to send along my CV to anyone who asks. What I would request is that we offer each other the courtesy of kindness on line even if some of us avail ourselves of anonymity.

Best wishes,
Michelle

l.o.l.o.l.o.l.

Reactions: 1 users
And I'm giving it away for free????

Some of us are ******. Others are just sluts. Still others are friends with benefits. I'm just loose. Is this too un-PC for SDN?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Are you going to bump one dead thread about consulting each day?

Hi all,
I was recently searching SDN and found this thread. I was disheartened by the (anonymous) attacks on my integrity, so I thought I would restate my credentials for anyone who was misinformed.

Michelle... you are aware there are four CURRENT excellent adcoms who do this for free on here right? @LizzyM @Catalystik, @Goro, and @gyngyn ( 2 which are physicians ) and not to mention the Attendings and student interviewers who are nice enough to read our personal statements and provide us with tons of amazing notes and insider tips if we just ask them.

If your services are that good and worth the cost prove it. Take 3 established posters on here getting ready for the upcoming cycle and get them in school. However, since this is a trial run you must provide your services free of charge. Don't let me down.

Michelle... you are aware there are four CURRENT excellent adcoms who do this for free on here right? @LizzyM @Catalystik, @Goro, and @gyngyn ( 2 which are physicians ) and not to mention the Attendings and student interviewers who are nice enough to read our personal statements and provide us with tons of amazing notes and insider tips if we just ask them.

If your services are that good and worth the cost prove it. Take 3 established posters on here getting ready for the upcoming cycle and get them in school. However, since this is a trial run you must provide your services free of charge. Don't let me down.

I'll tag @InsiderMedical so she's aware of this post.

Jaejoong_popcorn.gif

Dude just summoned the fantastic four

Awwwww sheeettttt

Reactions: 5 users
I graduated from Stanford University with honors in 1991. I attended Harvard Medical School (HMS), graduating in 1996. (I took advantage of the HMS 5-year plan, completing an American Association for the Advancement of Science Mass Media Fellowship where I honed my writing skills. I also completed work at an underserved clinic in Mexico.) I was then accepted to the Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency Program (HAEMR), where I did most of my training at Mass General and the Brigham and Women's Hospital. For those who question the legitimacy of this program, here is the link. I feel fortunate to have trained at one of the most respected emergency medicine programs in the country. At the end of my residency, I was asked to stay on as HMS faculty and as an attending emergency physician at Mass General. I worked there for 5 years. During that time, I spent the first 18 months working with the HAEMR admissions committee - interviewing applicants, participating in exclusive meetings about candidates, and attending final Match meetings. After that year and a half of admissions work, I was selected to be the Assistant Residency Director for HAEMR. In that role, I read scores of ERASes, helping to decide whom to invite for interview; interviewed scores of applicants; participated in exclusive meetings about candidates, attended final Match meetings, and helped make final decisions about whom to rank highly on our Match list. After 18 months as Assistant Residency Director for HAEMR, I volitionally resigned from the post because I could not manage a full clinical work load and the 20 hours per week I was spending on residency work, including admissions. Please note: I was not on the Harvard Medical School admissions committee, and I have never claimed to be. Before leaving Harvard to move West with my future husband, I won the HAEMR Best Mentor Award, the Partners in Excellence Award for Leadership and Innovation, the HAEMR “Golden Hammer” Award for residency contributions, the Partners in Excellence Award for Teamwork, and the HAEMR Outstanding New Attending Award.

So, just to clarify, you've never served on a medical school admissions committee? Based on this paragraph, all of your "admissions experience" was spent reviewing residency applications to an Emergency Medicine program.

I've never heard anyone refer to the residency application process as an "admissions" process. As you know, it is generally called a "match" because unlike the medical school admissions process, the vast majority of graduating medical students will be selected for a residency and are simply looking to end up at a desirable program.

Guys, relax.

If you find utility in the adcoms that utilize SDN forums -- that is great. Yes, they offer insight and advice for free. That is altruistic of them.

However, there isn't much need for criticizing Michelle. She offers a service and requests compensation for doing so.

So what?

Some people tutor elementary students for free... others charge for their services.
Some people coach young athletes for free... others charge for their services.
Some people work as physicians for free (missions)... others charge for their services.

If you don't like the fact that she charges for her consults (or whatever she offers), or if you feel she charges too much -- okay, no problem...don't utilize her services.

Not that big of a deal.

Last cycle, I edited PS's and offered private consults for 100 applicants (either directly through SDN -- or through a dedicated email address I created and put in my sig).

Frankly, after 20 PS's/consults it becomes a real hassle and took up a lot of time and energy -- especially by the time I hit 100 consults.

I did it all for free --and I can certainly appreciate why someone would want to be paid for their time.

Also another point.... when it comes to these consult services, there is questionable utility in the service provider actually having served on an adcom or not. That might sound strange.

However, I offered my consults right before matriculating.

Subsequently, as an MS1 (and as an MS2), I was involved in doing the whole admissions process thing for my school.

The advice I gave prior to being involved with the adcom is the exact same advice I would give today having had the actual adcom experience.

Last edited:
Exactly what Frazier said.

Some of you people on here are so disrespectful that it's nauseating.
People are mostly mad because she shamelessly bumped a four-year-old thread to advertise her services on SDN. That is not appropriate and violates the TOS, and thus a suitable response is justified.

People are mostly mad because she shamelessly bumped a four-year-old thread to advertise her services on SDN. That is not appropriate and violates the TOS, and thus a suitable response is justified.

I see. However, that anger isn't really warranted if you think about it...

She admits to basically searching SDN history for her service and came across this old thread.

What she found was attacks against her/her service that were never addressed.

"Well, why bump it? Why just not let it die?"

Because thanks to google, archives, and people that use the search function -- the thread was very much alive and accessible to the general public.

Sure no one has posted on this thread for 4 years until Michelle recently replied...however, who knows how many people read it since that time and were impacted by the comments.

If she wanted to spam she could have just created a new thread instead of bringing back one that perhaps can be viewed negatively.

I agree that the attacks on her character are a bit shameful....

Correct me if I’m wrong, this website is nonprofit organization created to help guide people on careers in health. Whether you are in high school, college, med school, or residency there are tons of people who are here to answer your questions or teach you more about the field you are interested in entering FREE OF CHARGE. This is one of the reasons why this website is amazing. There are four adcoms on here + tons of knowledgeable med students, residents, and attendings of all fields who frequent the boards answering questions. Certainly there is nothing wrong with charging for services but it’s natural that people would like to see how the car runs before they buy the car. To some, 4 grand may not be a lot but to others that are not financially blessed, that is a huge risk. There is nothing wrong with wanting some proof her guidance is better than the free guidance we get from our established and verifiable adcoms we have now. I say this not to criticize her but because I’m genuinely curious about why members should pay her four grand compared to nothing from other adcoms who probably are just as busy as her.

Last edited:
I agree that the attacks on her character are shameful....

Correct me if I’m wrong, this website is nonprofit organization created to help guide people on careers in health. Whether you are in high school, college, med school, or residency there are tons of people who are here to answer your questions or teach you more about the field you are interested in entering FREE OF CHARGE. This is one of the reasons why this website is amazing. There are four adcoms on here + tons of knowledgeable med students, residents, and attendings of all fields who frequent the boards answering questions. Certainly there is nothing wrong with charging for services but it’s natural that people would like to see how the car runs before they buy the car. To some, 4 grand may not be a lot but to others that are not financially blessed, that is a huge risk. There is nothing wrong with wanting some proof her guidance is better than the free guidance we get from our established and verifiable adcoms we have now. I say this not criticize her but I’m genuinely curious about why members should pay her four grand compared to nothing from other adcoms who probably are just as busy as her.

Your approach/wording is much better this time, IMO. :thumbup:

I see. However, that anger isn't really warranted if you think about it...
Doesn't matter; sucks to suck. Still doesn't change the fact that SDN is not the place for such conversations.