Admissions Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dallasboy622

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a little research but I haven't found any really clear answers from what research I've done so far. But this network has been great so I thought I would reel off some basic questions for anyone who might know.

1) How much experience is needed when you apply to Vet school? I can't seem to find anything on this. Do you need a certain amount of shadowing hours? or do you basically need to have been a certified technician?

2) Do you have to submit every GRE test score you get or do you just send the test score in that you want to?

3) Besides experience, leadership, and letters of recommendation, are there any other non-academic factors to consider before apply to vet school?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been doing a little research but I haven't found any really clear answers from what research I've done so far. But this network has been great so I thought I would reel off some basic questions for anyone who might know.

1) How much experience is needed when you apply to Vet school? I can't seem to find anything on this. Do you need a certain amount of shadowing hours? or do you basically need to have been a certified technician?

2) Do you have to submit every GRE test score you get or do you just send the test score in that you want to?

3) Besides experience, leadership, and letters of recommendation, are there any other non-academic factors to consider before apply to vet school?
1.) You definitely don't need to be a certified tech! Some schools have a set number of required or recommended hours, but not all do. I think most competitive applicants have at least 1,000 hours, but you can certainly be accepted with less if you have a good GPA, LORs, GRE scores, research experience, etc. Just make sure you meet the requirements. Your vet experience hours can be either working for a vet (as a kennel assistant/vet assistant/unlicensed tech) or shadowing.

2.) I think that depends on the school. I only took the GRE once so I'm not really sure, sorry!

3.) Volunteering/community service is always good, and extracurriculars in general even if you don't hold a leadership position. Schools want to see that you're well-rounded and have a life other than studying, or else you're likely to burn out. And of course there's your personal statement and any supplemental essays to consider, and good communication skills during your interview.

Reactions: 1 user
You can always look at the successful applicants threads to get a good baseline of what's competitive and different non-academic stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much to the both of you! I'm glad to hear. I have about 750 hours involved in Veterinary shadowing/work but a 1000 seems to be a bit outside of my reach. I'm hoping to get into KSU so I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to call their admissions office to find out any extra details.

You can always look at the successful applicants threads to get a good baseline of what's competitive and different non-academic stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I'm a bit new to this site. Where might I find those threads?

The minimum hours for UC Davis is 150 hours. Also, Iowa admissions told me they care more about the quality of experience (what you learned from it) rather than the amount of hours!

Thanks so much to the both of you! I'm glad to hear. I have about 750 hours involved in Veterinary shadowing/work but a 1000 seems to be a bit outside of my reach. I'm hoping to get into KSU so I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to call their admissions office to find out any extra details.

Please for the love of god if you're instate for MSU (Your UofM tag) apply there and accept if you get in. We have plenty of UofM kids here who love it and above everything, tuition price for In State has to be one of your top priorities or you will regret it later.

750 hours is great, assuming you have some diversity in there and a solid application overall :)