Admitted MSPH at JHSPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else still considering UNC Chapel Hill? I'm having such a tough time deciding between there and Hopkins. There are pros and cons to both schools and I don't know what to do!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those of you still waiting for decisions, check your online applications! I just did and I had an unofficial acceptance letter waiting for me!!! :) (MSPH in Intl Health)

I'm not sure how many of you know about this housing resource. The link was listed on the admitted students webpage:

https://offcampushousing.hopkinsmedi...uth/jhed-login

It's a housing website for Hopkins med/PH/nursing students. Unfortunately not too many public health students have signed up, but the "roommate finder" section seems helpful for people like me who are looking to room with other public health students. You can say your study habits, sleep habits, etc., which is really nice to know ahead of time.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
So you called admissions? My one of friend also applying for MSPH program in Health Systems at the Dept. of International Health! his name is sagsawn jails. He called the admissions office earlier and they said it'd probably be released soon...........

Hi everyone. I thought I'd post to this thread again to figure out if anyone has made a final decision on the MSPH at Hopkins. I got into the Int Health (Social and Behavioral Interventions) program. But I'm torn between Hopkins, Yale and Columbia. All my 'non-health/medicine' friends tell me to go to Yale, while all of those in the health field say Hopkins is the best bet. But, on a personal note, I think I may end up being happier at Yale 'cause, well, everyone seems to be happy there. But I think I'd get a slightly better education at Hopkins. I really didn't think it would be so difficult! If someone has already decided on the MSPH, can you share how you made your choice? Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I recently opened up the app.apply website and it had an unofficial letter of acceptance. For those who already got their acceptances, do you know if the official letter/package comes by snail mail or email?

Thanks!

Just checked financial aid information on ISIS. All loans, and even then not enough to cover full need. Looks like I'll be applying for additional PLUS loans...

Hey everyone,

I noticed there was an MPH Facebook group, but not an MSPH group, so the people who are definitely going there can start getting to know each other, discuss housing, etc. It's called "Johns Hopkins School of Public Health MSPH Class of 2014" if you want to join!

Hey everyone,

I noticed there was an MPH Facebook group, but not an MSPH group, so the people who are definitely going there can start getting to know each other, discuss housing, etc. It's called "Johns Hopkins School of Public Health MSPH Class of 2014" if you want to join!
@ fantakanyi, I can't seem to find the FB page. Can you post a link? Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I recently opened up the app.apply website and it had an unofficial letter of acceptance. For those who already got their acceptances, do you know if the official letter/package comes by snail mail or email?

Thanks!

I would like to know this too!

Hey everyone,

I can't seem to find it either. Is it a public group? It's not showing up when I search for it. What's the link?

I got the official letter one week later via snail mail.

Hey everyone!

Thanks!

Hi fc2241,

I haven't as yet received the mail but I was just wondering whether you heard anything about financial aid with your package? I know they decide in March but not too sure whether they have already decided or still in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Financial aid is really contingent on when you send in your documents. I checked online and got my loan information about a week after I submitted everything, and got the hard mailed copy yesterday.

So who's decided on Hopkins?

I'm a bit worried about how intense it's going to be and what living in a city will be like, but I'm up for a challenge and a change of pace.

Where's that facebook page?

Last edited:
Anybody headed to Hopkins for Admitted Students Day tomorrow?

If any of you attend, please post about your experience when you get a chance!

Does anyone know if a MSPH looks worse than a MPH to employers? I figure if it's a masters degree from Hopkins School of Public Health, it shouldn't matter what the exact degree is, but I'd just like to get other people's opinions. I really like the program but this is one thing that seems to be holding me back.

I think it would depend on the employer/job. Personally, I like the MSPH more, but I haven't really thought of how one might affect employment compared to the other. I'm not sure if having a MSPH would make you ineligible for a job that has a MPH as a requirement, but I wouldn't think it would since you still have to take the PH core.

I am going to hopkins admitted student day.

How did you hear from JHU. This is what I found online.
hank you for submitting an application to the MSPH (Master of Science in Public Health) program in the Population Family and Reproductive Health department. The Admissions Committee has reached a decision on your application and the Department will send communication directly to you. Please contact the Academic Coordinator, Wendy Rumrill in the Population Family and Reproductive Health department office at 410-955-1116 or [email protected] if you do not receive a letter within the next two weeks.

I got notice from JHSPH yesterday that I am admitted to MSPH in Global Disease Epidemiology and Control. Hope to see you this fall!

I like MSPH more, as MPH is really general. I already had the core courses in preventive medicine but don't think they help much. I want to continue to PhD so I choose MSPH over MPH.

I got accepted to the global disease epidemiology and control program last week. Has anyone else been accepted to this program? Are you planning on going?

Accepted into Health Policy - anyone else? Would love to hear from you!

Accepted into Health Policy - anyone else? Would love to hear from you!

yangjc, did you interview with the Health Policy department as a part of your MSPH Health Policy application? If so, did you call them to set up an interview or did you email someone?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey llamallamallama,

No interview, I just logged in one day and was accepted. I've got to interview at Michigan though.

If you're up for an interview, good luck! :) Maybe we'll be classmates.

Hey llamallamallama,

No interview, I just logged in one day and was accepted. I've got to interview at Michigan though.

If you're up for an interview, good luck! :) Maybe we'll be classmates.

Here's hoping! Good luck at Michigan! :luck::luck:

Got an email this afternoon from the academic coordinator with a letter attached from Dr. Blum congratulating me on my acceptance into the MSPH program in the Department of Population, Family, and Reproductive Health!!!

In for International Health - Health Systems!

Thank you! Are you going to admitted students day on April 5th?
I'm not - I'm visiting March 28-29 so I could do it right after interviewing at Michigan. Sorry we won't get to meet but let's exchange details and keep in touch? :)

Congrats to do both of you!

llama, did you interview?

And would either of you mind posting you stats and when you submitted your applications?

Hey! Thanks! I'm pretty happy. No I didn't interview. There was a section on the JHU MSPH Health Policy page that mentioned interviews are strongly encouraged, but when I called to set up an interview, no one got back to me. Here's what I found on their website which prompted me to ask yangjc if he/she interviewed: "Interviews are strongly recommended. If it is not possible to schedule an on-site interview, a formal phone interview should be scheduled with the program."

I submitted my application to Hopkins on 2/1/13, but my transcript, scores, and recommendations were all submitted in early January. When I noticed that my supporting documents were still showing up as missing on ApplyYourself on 2/7/13, I emailed the school and received a response the next day that my application is complete and has been forwarded for review. I received my admission decision on 2/22/13.

I'll PM you my stats because I'd like to keep some level of anonymity on this site haha

Hey Guys!! Is there any facebook page for us?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has heard any MHS Epi decisions from Johns Hopkins?

Hi everyone,

I'm curious as well! I applied ScM - epi and am dying to know. I called a couple of weeks ago and was told I'd hear back at the end of Feb/ beginning of March. I'm tempted to call again :) but I'm also a little self-conscious about doing it again so soon.

Hi everyone,

I called a few weeks ago. They're doing a preliminary look at applications this week, but I assume you won't hear after this unless you get rejected. I got the same late Feb/early March timeline, so hopefully we'll be hearing very soon!

I called a few weeks ago. They're doing a preliminary look at applications this week, but I assume you won't hear after this unless you get rejected. I got the same late Feb/early March timeline, so hopefully we'll be hearing very soon!
Anyone for ScM/MHS (esp EPI)? I am so ready to call again! I'm starting to visit other schools but I believe Hopkins is my top choice, so this wait is killing me. I know they haven't had my app for that long, but I'm not very good at waiting. :)

They've had my MHS app for 14 weeks, and I haven't been able to get through to anyone there. I think JHU is my first choice, but Berkeley is starting to look awfully tempting.

They've had my MHS app for 14 weeks, and I haven't been able to get through to anyone there. I think JHU is my first choice, but Berkeley is starting to look awfully tempting.
Yikes! Good to know.

Yeah, the more time I have to get emotionally invested in a school, the higher likelihood that I'll go there. I hope Hopkins gives me enough time to really make a reasoned decision.

Yay!

Did anyone else apply to the nutrition track in international health?
Yes! I just got my acceptance email last week :) Super excited, JHSPH and the nutrition/intl health was my number one choice so I am starting to think about the transition of moving out to Baltimore from Colorado...

I didn't receive an email, but the website for the online application notified me of the decision today. Accepted to JHSPH's MSPH in Health Policy! I won't be in Baltimore before August, but if any other Health Policy students (or any JHSPH student who shares my interests for that matter) would like to meet up in the weeks prior to 1st term, feel free to message me to exchange info early on.

Short BIO: 28 M; background is Exercise Science; interests include wellness policy in public schools, impact of physical activity on preventable diseases and workforce productivity

Grats to everyone and good luck to those still waiting patiently!

I didn't receive an email, but the website for the online application notified me of the decision today. Accepted to JHSPH's MSPH in Health Policy! I won't be in Baltimore before August, but if any other Health Policy students (or any JHSPH student who shares my interests for that matter) would like to meet up in the weeks prior to 1st term, feel free to message me to exchange info early on.

Short BIO: 28 M; background is Exercise Science; interests include wellness policy in public schools, impact of physical activity on preventable diseases and workforce productivity

Grats to everyone and good luck to those still waiting patiently!
Congratulations! :) I'm in JHSPH MSPH in Health Policy as well! I'm still on the fence (my interview with UMich is near the end of March) but if I do end up going to Baltimore, I'd love to meet up. Feel free to PM me as it'd be great to connect with a potential future colleague in public health! :)

Got an email this afternoon from the academic coordinator with a letter attached from Dr. Blum congratulating me on my acceptance into the MSPH program in the Department of Population, Family, and Reproductive Health!!!

Congrats! I was accepted as well and am leaning towards going. What about you?

Just found out i got into JHSPH for an MSPH in Health Policy! Im still waiting to hear from a few other schools but it's been my number one through most of the process

Anybody want to start a Johns Hopkins MSPH Class of 2015 Facebook group? I don't know anyone else going so I can't start it...

Anybody want to start a Johns Hopkins MSPH Class of 2015 Facebook group? I don't know anyone else going so I can't start it...

I PM'd you my info as I'd love for someone to start one. Once it is started, we could also let the coordinator of the on-campus "meet and greets" know about the group and maybe help us share it with other admitted students for 2013-2015.