Advanced Exam 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestBound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thought I would start a tread on this. Couldn't help myself. I have got to say, have always been a 80-90+ percentile on all of my AKTs and ITEs from CA1-CA3 but I am very worried about failing this thing. May have burned myself by "overthinking" a lot of the retrospectively "gimmie" questions.

A little scary that with only 200 questions minus the experimental questions that a bad day and a few wrong 50/50 guesses could mean the difference between a 5oth percentile score and failing. I wonder if there will be a more generous curve this being the first year of the advanced exam like they did for our CA1 basic.

Oh well, guess nothing to do at this point other than to try to put it out of mind for 4-6 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fairly certain all the ABA did in the creation of that test was to take all the most frequently missed questions from the basic, repackage them, add a handful of basic subspecialty questions to the pool and cash the check.

Hi All,

Thought I would start a tread on this. Couldn't help myself. I have got to say, have always been a 80-90+ percentile on all of my AKTs and ITEs from CA1-CA3 but I am very worried about failing this thing. May have burned myself by "overthinking" a lot of the retrospectively "gimmie" questions.

A little scary that with only 200 questions minus the experimental questions that a bad day and a few wrong 50/50 guesses could mean the difference between a 5oth percentile score and failing. I wonder if there will be a more generous curve this being the first year of the advanced exam like they did for our CA1 basic.

Oh well, guess nothing to do at this point other than to try to put it out of mind for 4-6 weeks.

Glad I'm not the only one. Also did above average-really good on ITEs/basic, but on this test I had huge stretches of questions where I was just like wtfffffff

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone think results will come out this week on Friday?

Seems too early? Especially being the first time it was given. I remember after the first basic it was about 6 weeks or so.

I did extra training in hyperbaric oxygen therapy and saw a bunch of patients with carbon monoxide poisoning needing intubated in the ED, so I'm pretty sure I got at least 50% right

....I wouldn't worry, I can't see the pass rate being less than the first ever basic

I did extra training in hyperbaric oxygen therapy and saw a bunch of patients with carbon monoxide poisoning needing intubated in the ED, so I'm pretty sure I got at least 50% right

....I wouldn't worry, I can't see the pass rate being less than the first ever basic

I swear, those sneaky bastards went through truelearn and m5 and purposefully selected for all the sht that was sparsely covered in those qbanks.

Can anyone comment on what they used to study?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Truelearn. I wasn't a huge fan of M5. And then I reviewed particular areas I knew I was rusty or weak in using general review books.

The main issue for us though was being the first year nobody knew what was going to be on the thing. You can't really look at the ABA basic vs advanced outlines and know with any specificity, and certainly not in a way that allows for efficient focusing. I'd expect review material to improve each year. Overall, I thought it was kind of a silly test, it's beyond me that that test is supposed to show that I house the knowledge of a competent anesthesiologist (of course maybe the Oral is truly that test).

Anyone hear anything about when the scores are coming out? I have been refreshing my email and furiously googling for any info and can't find anything. :barf:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I suppose they'll never give us the results...
Relax. It's Labor Day....u know a holiday. They ain't releasing anything on Labor Day. I suspect it will be out this week or next at the lastest.

The old days we had to wait till Labor Day and we took exam beginning of July.

Patience.

Checked the aba portal website earlier today and nothing was uploaded. Checked it again just now and the site is down for maintenance. They could be uploading results right meow.

Is the aba portal website working for anyone else? where are results posted? Once it logs me in it just says my name, then all of the links are dead except to the main aba website

Reactions: 1 user
Failed.

It didn't even feel that bad - I just suck so much at all of these exams. I want to cry because I studied my a$$ off for what was, essentially, an emergency medicine exam. It's not even the money that is going to hurt, it's all the goddamn hours of my life and hours of my family's life. It's also all the other work I have to do for fellowship, how am I going to study for both, maintain two research projects and also handle this. Why can't I be smarter?

The site is laggy mess, because apparently in 2016 the ABA still can't be bothered to get a server that can handle a few thousand simultaneous requests. I looked at the page source code to figure out where to go. Here is the direct link: https://portal.theaba.org/ExamResults.aspx

Is the aba portal website working for anyone else? where are results posted? Once it logs me in it just says my name, then all of the links are dead except to the main aba website

Click personal info at the top menu then view exam results

any tips for upcoming test takers? i found truelearn's basic qbank great -- got top 10% with it. just want to pass advance.

any tips for upcoming test takers? i found truelearn's basic qbank great -- got top 10% with it. just want to pass advance.

Surefire recipe for success:
About a month before the exam rail through the truelearns qbank in 2 weeks (~800 questions). Flag the questions with particularly high yield explanations (~100). Study those hundred questions over the following two weeks until you've memorized every facet of the explanations contained within or without.

~~IMPORTANT~~
Do not get hung up on the percentage/ile of a qbank. It's usually higher yield to get a question wrong because you are more likely to gain from its explanation that way. I consistently scored 55-65% on that qbank and I felt very comfortable while sitting for the advanced.

True learn is money. I missed what I perceived to be a lot of questions about CO poisoning, stats, information systems, law, and obscure endocrine/renal, and still passed because all the other core questions were gimmes .

e: also did some M5, hall, openanesthesia, read a couple chapters of faust and yao, but truelearn was my bread and butter

Last edited:
True learn is money. I missed what I perceived to be a lot of questions about CO poisoning, stats, information systems, law, and obscure endocrine/renal, and still passed because all the other core questions were gimmes .

I agree 100% with Vector2. I did true learn and the last 3 years worth of ACE questions. Retrospectively, True Learn was way more beneficial than ACE questions. Like Vector, I am certain I missed ALL the stat questions, CO2 poisoning, and law/information system questions. However, I would say the basic concepts that were tested in True Learn were the meat of the Advanced exam and they indeed were gimmies.