Advanced PTeExam (Echo Boards)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G0S2

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got my ass handed to me today. Read the Mathew book 3x, the Edelman US Physics book 2x and thousands of Q's. Quite a few WTF? views. Don't feel good about it but I don't know what else I could have done as a resident. Kudos to those of you that passed that beast in previous years.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was a pretty tough but generally fair test. I thought the image quality left quite a but to be desired, but that it didn't affect things that much. They had a hard-on for contrast echo for reasons a little baffling to me, since I've used contrast in the OR exactly zero times.

Thought the physics was straightforward, moreso than I expected.

Sounds about the same as years past, more or less.

Members don't see this ad :)
I probably prepped about one tenth of you. But I did a fellowship, and those numbers with your hands on a probe matter. That's how you wrap your head around the unique views they presented.

Wish you the best with your results. No way I could have prepared like that in residency, with writtens, etc.

Got my ass handed to me today. Read the Mathew book 3x, the Edelman US Physics book 2x and thousands of Q's. Quite a few WTF? views. Don't feel good about it but I don't know what else I could have done as a resident. Kudos to those of you that passed that beast in previous years.

Good luck! Heard it was tough today. I'm taking it as a resident next year. Let us know how you did.

They aren't certifying. Just taking the test. Even if they could get the 150, they couldn't certify without fellowship.

If you want to do hearts at my place, you have to have taken the exam but certification is not required. More places are doing this.

- pod

For those who certified, how long after you submitted your paperwork did you receive your diplomate certificate? I sent my application with supporting documentation in October 2011 and no diplomate certificate yet.

I am not referring to the initial certificate you receive stating you passed the advanced examination. I got that one already.

If you completed a fellowship and passed the Advanced PTE exam, you are an NBE diplomate and a FASE (fellow of he american society of echocardiography). Hmm..I better order newly embroidered white coats to showcase my achievement. :D

Last edited:
If you completed a fellowship and passed the Advanced PTE exam, you are an NBE diplomate and a FASE (fellow of he american society of echocardiography). Hmm..I better order newly embroidered white coats to showcase my achievement. :D

The NBE has dropped the ball. They haven't met to approve certifications since last year. Jack Shanewise is in charge of the group. I've called the NBE multiple times and it's always one excuse or another. By their own rules, they have 1 year to review your application. It's cost me $10,000 in lost bonus because they can't get their act together.

BTW, FASE is an actual honor that you have to earn and get elected to, it's not an automatic qualification thing (requires teaching, resesearch/publications, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do hearts at my place, you have to have taken the exam but certification is not required. More places are doing this.

- pod

Same at my place, I have not supported the decision to require certification via fellowship.

The NBE has dropped the ball. They haven't met to approve certifications since last year. Jack Shanewise is in charge of the group. I've called the NBE multiple times and it's always one excuse or another. By their own rules, they have 1 year to
review your application. It's cost me $10,000 in lost bonus because they can't get their act together.

No difference in salary for me but I do want to have that extra certificate hanging on my wall. BTW,
FASE is an actual honor that you have to earn and get elected to, it's not an automatic qualification thing (requires teaching, resesearch/publications, etc).

What?! You mean I actually have to earn that credential. Maybe we can lobby to have that changed. I was hoping to pad my CV and parade around with added acronyms after my name.

Anybody taking or took the basic echo exam. I'm taking tomorrow more just to get the piece of paper. How hard is the basic? I haven't been studying a lot. Wish me luck!

Taking it also tomorrow. No idea what to expect.

The Basic content outline on website leaves a lot to be desired!

Any one have any last minute recommendations?

Good luck,
CJ

Taking it also tomorrow. No idea what to expect.

The Basic content outline on website leaves a lot to be desired!

Any one have any last minute recommendations?

Good luck,
CJ

How does Testamur versus Fellowship--->Certified in advanced TEE effect billing???

Oops, sorry CJ. Shouldn't have linked to your post...

- pod

Just for clarification, more places are requiring at least taking/passing the exam (versus generalists whom have not), or is there a trend away from cardiac fellowship requirements so long as you are a Testamur?

No trend per se. Just that some places are requiring passage of the PTEExam (basic or advanced) for generalists who want to do hearts. Certainly no trend away from fellowship trained anesthesiologists.

- pod

I took the basic exam today. I definitely overstudied because I had no idea what was going to be on the exam. I was ready to drop a bunch of crazy calculations and diastology and congenital stuff, and it just wasn't on the exam. One of the resources I used was e-echocardiography.com. This website has an intro TEE section that seemed way way too superficial for exam prep, but in actuality covered pretty much everything on the test. I would highly recommend it for any future test-takers.

As far as why I took it, it's solely a feather in my cap at this point. I am in the generation that can't get advanced PTE certified without fellowship, so I decided to get the basic certification. My group of 20 anesthesiologists does about 250 hearts/year. I try to do a TEE on all of these patients (if I am there and have time), but realistically I'm only personally doing 20-25 hearts a year, half of which are OPCABs. No one (my partners, the surgeons, the cardiologists) expects me to make surgical decisions in the OR based on my TEE, but I just enjoy doing it and feel more in the loop when I can see what's going on. Also, I do tend to get called into the OR when some of my less experienced/interested partners are doing hearts, either by them or the surgeon. I just think it can't be a bad thing to have another little nugget on the resume when the hospital/AMC buys out your group, your group decides to slim down, or you're just looking for another job for any reason.

POD, seriously? For example, can you document a 20 view exam, dictated for the medical record? With the BASIC certification?

POD, seriously? For example, can you document a 20 view exam, dictated for the medical record? With the BASIC certification?
Yep. You just aren't supposed to diagnose anything that would need surgical intervention intraoperatively.

From the NBE website:
[Scope of Practice: The application of a basic perioperative TEE examination is limited to non-diagnostic use within the customary practice of anesthesiology. Be*cause the goal of and training in basic PTE is focused on intraoperative monitoring rather than specific diagnosis, except in emergent situations, diagnoses requiring intraoperative cardiac surgical intervention or postop*erative medical/surgical management must be confirmed by an individual with advanced skills in TEE or by an independent diagnostic technique.]

Yes. You may even do this without any certification or testamur status unless your hospital privileging dictates otherwise. You may diagnose things that need to be addressed surgically. As long as your report is complete, you may legitimately bill for it and the payers will pay (as long as there is a valid indication). Hell, a CRNA can perform it and get payed for it.

Certification/ testamur is strictly voluntary and the NBE has no authority to sanction anyone who is performing echocardiography without seeking their stamp of approval. If you want to stay within the confines dictated by the NBE, then lane is correct and you would not make calls on surgical issues with anything less than advanced cert/ testamur.

Certification/ testamur status simply demonstrates your commitment to excellence in echocardiography. Your local hospital may require it for privileging, like mine does, but it is not mandatory at the state or federal level.

- pod

Just thought I would revive this thread since the exam is coming up...

For those who passed:

1) what did you feel was the best physics resource?
2)Which question book was most similar to exam?
3) Which major textbook best prep'd you? (mathew, perrino, savage, etc...)

Thanks!!!

Just thought I would revive this thread since the exam is coming up...

For those who passed:

1) what did you feel was the best physics resource?
2)Which question book was most similar to exam?
3) Which major textbook best prep'd you? (mathew, perrino, savage, etc...)

Thanks!!!

Physics- Edelman

Qs- Burch

Book- Mathew

Yeah the test was very very fun. Good luck to all who taken the exam!

Awating advanced results for 2013 seemed tough--passed/certified Basic in 2011 via practice pathway
Used PTE Masters online super resource--loved the video lectures
Edelman,Masters as well
Did lots of practice questions
Should hear soon!!

Taking the advanced one next time around. Any more feed back on what can be expected would be appreciated.

I suck at physics :)mad:) and it's the main reason I have dragged my feet on this, but now it's time.

So much harder to do these things once you are years into practice.

I did last year. Physics is roughly 10-15% and I felt comfortable with all of the Qs having read Edelman. My advice- focus on echo and then read Edelman with 2-3 weeks to go. I have been looking over some of the PTE Masters and it seems good. ( Just want to say now that I have nothing to do with them).

PASSED will get certified via practicce pathway
Thank you PTE Masters!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to you.

Ditto for me also. Thanks to PTEMasters!

Is this for July 8 exam this year? How do u find out if you passed? My email I had registered expired

Go to NBE and search for your name. Left side has menu allowing you to search for names. I found out that way last year days before email.

But are people talking about this year being avail?

Go to NBE and search for your name. Left side has menu allowing you to search for names. I found out that way last year days before email.

Names aren't up yet. Website says names go up 14 days after notification. I got email result Thursday but my name isn't up either. Don't worry if you don't see it yet.

RU2003, I would call or email NBE on Monday to update your email address.

Last edited:
Ok. Last year I found out that way before email. Sorry.

Generally, how long does it take to study for the advaned PTEeXAM? Is 3 months sufficient time? Assuming student puts in 10 hours of studies per week.

What is the difference between Basic and Advanced PTEeXAM in terms of exam preparation? Or are they quite similar in exam questions?

Generally, how long does it take to study for the advaned PTEeXAM? Is 3 months sufficient time? Assuming student puts in 10 hours of studies per week.

What is the difference between Basic and Advanced PTEeXAM in terms of exam preparation? Or are they quite similar in exam questions?

3 months is good.

Very different. Basic- wall motion , coronary feed, volume.

Advanced- the same plus valves, calculations, physics, shunts, congenital lesions, post- repair etc.