Advanced Standing in dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orange04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
i was curious about how to get into dental schools with advanced standing . What are the requirements? If any one would help me out with these doubts I would be very greatful!!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by advanced standing? If you mean, graduating early or leaving college after the first two years w/o a degree but enough credit hours to apply to dental school, then yes, there is such a thing as advanced standing. If you are wondering about skipping classes once in dental school, forget it. If you were like me a Microbiology major, you will repeat 60% of the courses you take in undergrad. If you are a foreign grad, some schools have accelerated certificate programs that allow you to get a piece of paper in a couple of years, but not a diploma that will allow you to take a board exam. However, some states, like here in Florida, if you do the certificate program you can only take the Florida Licensure Exam and only practice here. So, good luck and enjoy...I know I did(sarcasm)! :p

Hi! Looks like you are a foreign trained dentist.If yes and you mean to get into a school which offers a little concession to foreign graduates than I would advice you to contact ADA and ask for the information about Part I national Boards.Or better still visit their website at http://www.ada.org
Well you will have to take National Boards Part I and TOEFL for all schools.Some schools require to take PArt II also.I suggest that you get the list of schools from ADA and then contact them for their application forms and specific requirement.And if you are really keen start preparing for your NAtional Boards Part I.If you have any more questions please feel free to mail me.