Advanced Standing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelic02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will persons with the DPM from a U.S. school be admitted with advanced standing in a U.S. MD/DO school? I heard that some dentists admitted to an oral surgery residency will be given advanced standing to an MD school affiliated with the residency and wondered whether podiatrists have something similar. I also heard on a previous post in this section that the NY school has a DPM/international MD program. Will somebody give me some information in this respect? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as Temple goes, they will only accept advanced standing students from a LCME accredited school. That means that Temple School of Medicine will not accept a transfer from Temple School of Podiatric Medicine. I'm sure Toejam can comment further as he is a DPM who is applying to medical school and will receive no advanced standing for his DPM degree.

I would not count on advanced standing at a DO or MD program.
so again if you want to be a DO or and MD, Keep it that way and just DO it. Save yourself a lot of headaches and money.
Investigate very hard before you DO anything. Talk to DOCs, Residents and students. talk to many of them, not just one or two. Good Luck, but the one advantage is that you'll have experience from pod school behind you, at a hefty price though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have an opinion on this?? Oh, yes!

There is no MD or DO school that will accept a single second of podiatry credit. In fact, there is no reputable MD school overseas that will accept a single credit of podiatry school. Your podiatry education is done in a bubble and remains within the very narrow world of podiatry.

Not only did I have to take the MCAT again, but my podiatry GPA is not even calculated in any of the MD and DO schools that I applied to. This means that I get to continue to wear my average undergrad GPA around my neck like a giant stone forever.

Don't wast your time. When I did my first year of pod school I called all over the world basically and no one would take podiatry credits. It's a wast of precious time and money. Look at it like this. If they did that then there would be a lot of people that would try it too and it would be like opening up a can of worms for them. Then the AMA would be upset too.

Jimmy