Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Advanced Vent management Texts

Discussion in 'Critical Care' started by Bostonredsox, 05.22.12.

1. Bostonredsox

Bostonredsox

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey guys,

Looking for a good but preferably not 2000+ page text on advanced vent management. IM resident at a community hospital with no intensivist, we essentially run the MICU under 'critical care" hospitalists as thats all this area can recruit. Looking for a good in depth physio/pathphysio read for running various vents on your own. Im good with most already, but would like more knowledge on pressure control, oscillating vents, bad restrictive lung dz pts, etc. Looking for the 'I need to be far more knowledgeable than the average hospitalist as I will most exclusively be in an ICU setting, but don't have the CCU fellowship capabilities. Thanks guys.
  2. Hernandez

Hernandez Paranoid and Crotchety...

knee deep in dog muck and crusty jugglers......
    Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    IMHO tobin's book is the gold standard, but there are several smaller books out there but I don't have recs fr them since I have tobin.

I'd rec these things.
    HFOV http://www.viasyshealthcare.com/hfov/ look for the training download. Fun learning tool to learn he basics.

Highly reccomend this book http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Interpr...1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337819722&sr=8-1-fkmr1 ifyu understand waveforms, you can trouble shoot most issues

What particular questions do you have about PCAV? I think people over think PCV/BiLevel/APRV honestly.
  3. Rikab

Rikab

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Pilbeam's book on mechanical ventilation is pretty good.There is a new edition out there.But can be quite wordy.
  4. Soleus

Soleus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Tobin's book is the bible, but it is very large, verbose, and sounds like more than what you're looking for.

I agree with the previous poster that Pilbeam's book is probably the way to go. Here's a link to the new edition: http://www.amazon.com/Pilbeams-Mech...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338862879&sr=1-1

Pilbeam's is in-depth but doable and it has a work-book to go along with it that makes it more tangible. I haven't had a chance to see the new edition, but I'm sure it's similar to the previous one, which was excellent.
  5. Paseo Del Norte

Paseo Del Norte

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Used the fourth edition of Pillbeam in respiratory school and I thought it was a good book that was easy to read. The current class is using the 5th edition and I've heard no complaints. The newest edition is even more streamlined than the 4th and you can pick it up for less than $100.00.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal