Advantages of URM DO applicant with lower GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awurabena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My junior year didn't end as well as I'd like. I got 3 B's an A-, and a B-. ( I've emailed my professor about extra credit to get a B. She agreed to it but hasn't been answering my emails).
Aside that, my cGPA is now a 3.34. My science might be a little bit lower. I have great extracurriculars, LORs, volunteering and job.
I am aiming for a 30 on the MCAT.
As an URM (African), do I have an advantage with DO schools
Also, what schools seem to accept minority students more?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

My junior year didn't end as well as I'd like. I got 3 B's an A-, and a B-. ( I've emailed my professor about extra credit to get a B. She agreed to it but hasn't been answering my emails).
Aside that, my cGPA is now a 3.34. My science might be a little bit lower. I have great extracurriculars, LORs, volunteering and job.
Thank you

Your gpa is ok for DO... You will need a 24+ mcat DO.... 28+ will get you into MD because of your AA status. To answer your questions: Yes you will have an advantage as AA... I have the 'DO MSAR' and I can say that it's a mystery to me that most of these schools have 1-5% of AA... The one with the highest % of AA are OU-COM (12%) , VCOM (9%), and PCOM (8%). A few schools have 0% of AA.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In 2012, the average Mcat for an AA matriculating into a DO program was 23.03 with a 3.23 GPA. You'll be fine.

In 2012, the average Mcat for an AA matriculating into a DO program was 23.03 with a 3.23 GPA. You'll be fine.

Source? The stats were 3.3ish and 22.3 mcat in 2011. GPA going down little bit and mcat is going up....

You're fine for DO and MD programs.
HBCs are the first that come to mind.
State schools second.

Thank you