Adversity secondary-Too much information?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawaymed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, welcome to SDN. :prof:

I mean, and I could be totally off-base here, but I'm not sure if I'd write about that if I were you. I feel as though there would be some pretty serious issues in trying to tactfully talk about a psychological condition while also acknowledging your personal struggles with that. Even if you did manage to write this in a respectful, thorough manner, it would seem sort of inappropriate. But, again, that's just my take.

Try thinking about other challenges. Were you excluded from peers? Did you have to struggle academically? What did you do to resolve that? I feel like that might be more geared to the point of that secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
For the secondary question that asks for a challenge in one's life, I am planning on writing about my parent's psychological condition which has appeared in various ways throughout their life and how that has impacted me. Research has shown that the condition is partly genetic (10-25% chance children get it from parent) so I am worried that when adcoms read this essay they might think that I have the condition and am hiding it, or will acquire it in the near future. FYI, depression is one common manifestation of the condition. Also I have never expressed any symptoms and my physician has told me I don't appear to have it.

Should I stay away from this topic regardless?

Or maybe I shouldn't name the condition itself?

I think that would be a good topic to talk about. Certainly early experiences do shape the way that we look at the world, and you must been molded by your relationship with your parent and their condition. Maybe you can say that this has made you more aware of the difficulties that individuals face with psychological conditions, and you would extend this awareness to your future patients bla bla bla?

O yea, welcome to SDN btw :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
For the secondary question that asks for a challenge in one's life, I am planning on writing about my parent's psychological condition which has appeared in various ways throughout their life and how that has impacted me. Research has shown that the condition is partly genetic (10-25% chance children get it from parent) so I am worried that when adcoms read this essay they might think that I have the condition and am hiding it, or will acquire it in the near future. FYI, depression is one common manifestation of the condition. Also I have never expressed any symptoms and my physician has told me I don't appear to have it.

It depends on what the condition is. If it is something that would preclude one from being a physician (as in, it wouldn't be safe for patients if their physician had this psychological condition), I wouldn't talk about it because some of the people who will read your secondary will be physicians themselves, and they may know that this condition is partly genetic. If they do, I wonder if they may be concerned that you might have the condition.

I think this is a perfect topic to discuss. Even if it is genetic, that is health information which there is no reason to discuss. Even if Genetic, they can't ask you about your health.

I think it's fine to discuss. If done well, you'll be demonstrating that you have experience with mental illness and that your perspective is one without the stigma attached.

If you do decide to discuss it, please be forthright enough to name the condition and speak plainly and directly about it. (Unless it's sociopathy or perhaps schizophrenia, against which there are certainly stigmas.) No tip-toeing or evading. As a physician, you will be forced to confront the most difficult issues life can throw at us, and discuss them openly, clearly and compassionately with your patients. Dealing with mental health issues in your own family can provide valuable insights into the nature of humanity and build empathy in a way few other situations can. In your explanation, do mention though that your physician has stated that you show no signs of having inherited the disorder yourself.

Reactions: 1 user