Advertising Costs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilsqwert

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and thanks for clicking my thread,

I am wondering how much is a good cost to set aside for advertising for an eye surgeon. I've read 10% of income. I've also read 30%+.

I am wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark figure of how much their practice sets aside month for advertising or how much a lead is worth paying for. Especially for an elective surgery such as LASIK.

If you do not want to make this information public I would be ever greatful for a PM!

Thanks,
-Joe

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the interest of the "pharmacist?"
My intentions: are to quit my job. I am a pharmacist, a retail pharmacist at that. A powerless retail pharmacist. While nurse practioners have lobbyists pushing a bill that they may write for CII's our pharmacy chains compete for who can cut the most tech hours. Doctor's associations are controlling the number of med schools to keep a shortage and premium wages while my state (Ohio) now has 7 pharmacy schools and approximately 0 (literally zero) pharmacist openings. Employers take full advantage of this lack of shortage and demand more work (flu shots, MTMs, higher volume) with less help than ever. I am a decently smart fellow, who slaved through school for 7 years for a job that pays 6 figures, and is not worth a penny of it.

That brings me back to my intentions, I have taken up a second job investing in websites. My latest acquisition is a site primed to be marketed by local ophthomologits and likely save them money vs google adwords. But before I approach them I would like an idea of what they feel is fair to set aside for advertising so that I may be better prepared to accomodate their needs.

If anyone can give me a ballpark figure or a get lost I will take it for what it is worth.

Thank you for reading my post.
-Joe

I work with doctors on their advertising budgets.

They can be as low as $200/month, $250-$300/month for yellow pages, and as high as $2000 to $10,000 month for SEO/SEM/PPC + print ads in cosmetic and cash only type specialties.

Most bang for the buck is PPC advertising. Let's say a LASIK Google Ad costs $10. It takes about 40-50 clicks to get a patient in the office. Half of the patients who come to the office (from the Google ad) will signup for LASIK. To get one LASIK patient, the cost is $800 to $1000, which is profitable.

In business, if one can spend $1 to make $5, then spend more $1 bills on the widget!

Doctor's associations are controlling the number of med schools to keep a shortage and premium wages while my state (Ohio) now has 7 pharmacy schools and approximately 0 (literally zero) pharmacist openings.

It's the number of residency positions that controls the number of doctors. The number of med schools literally has nothing to do with it. Pharmacy isn't the only healthcare related field that's getting squeezed. Pretty much everybody is.

Dr Doan, Thank you very much! It seems I may be able to offer the best results by harnessing direct leads. Quite a rare combination you have there as an Attending / SEO expert. Many thanks!
-Joe Murphy, PharmD