Advice: 3.2 gpa 3.0 sgpa 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jcusco407

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been reading advice given to other for a while and now am at a point where decisions have to be made. I am currently a junior at a good school with a 3.2 cgpa and a 3.0 sgpa. I took my MCAT about two weeks ago but expect 29-31 and have room to grow. I am unsure of whether it would be better to apply this year or wait till next year so I have a bit more time to strengthen my application. By next year I hope to have a finished thesis and possible publication for the research I have been working on for the past year. My GPA could possibly go up .1 if I do well but not much more than that. I would be applying as hispanic.
My questions are:
Is there less of a chance of getting in to a school if I do not get accepted the first time?
Is waiting a year and doing a good SMP the best course of action?
Should I apply this year and consider the SMP if I don't get in anywhere?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't get in the first time (admissions officers on here - LizzyM, etc.) say they expect a substantial improvement between the first and second applications. I would wait to see what your MCAT is, getting a disappointing score such as a 26 vs a lucky score of a 33 will make very big differences in whether you should apply or not, and where to

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like this was posted in MD chances.

I don't think with a 30MCAT you'd have a chance at mid-tier MD. Low tier with some family ties, maybe. DO with a 30MCAT and your GPA would be DO-able (see what I did there?).

If you want MD, I recommend boosting GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the MD and DO WAMC threads are merged. That's why I asked the OP which way he is applying. Of course it could be that he is applying to both.

I'm really pushing for MD. If I were to apply this year and not be accepted anywhere, I would try for an SMP and apply while I'm there and hopefully raise the MCAT score.

I am Venezuelan/Cuban. Fully fluent in spanish and will be graduating with a minor in spanish. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by service orientation but I will be shadowing 2 months this summer and in terms of volunteering I have not done much since high school.

I am Venezuelan/Cuban. Fully fluent in spanish and will be graduating with a minor in spanish. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by service orientation but I will be shadowing 2 months this summer and in terms of volunteering I have not done much since high school.
Neither Venezolanos nor Cubanos are generally considered under-represented in medicine. Language skills are always appreciated, though.
In the absence of long term community service, you should not count on a UIM boost.
It is better to apply once well, than to become a re-applicant. Have you used the AMCAS gpa calculator? You are perilously close to screen out territory at many MD schools. With little volunteer or medical experience your application still has a ways to go. Let us know how the MCAT goes!

Last edited by a moderator: