Advice about class rank after 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brodo Swaggins

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on what to think of where I'm sitting academically after first year. I've had some pretty severe family issues which have demanded attention all year and have put me in a pretty crazy funk. It wasn't until after school ended a week or so ago that I realized how much this was true, and I feel like I'm capable of much more academically. I ended up getting pretty much straight B's and would score ~5% above average on exams (average at my school is ~80%). However there are a fair amount of students who sit near the top scoring nearly all A's. They haven't released class ranks yet but I'd guess I'm somewhere in the 2nd to 3rd quintile.

My question though is is it worth it to push myself to get into that upper quintile? How important really is class rank? I don't want to shot myself in the foot for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I need some advice on what to think of where I'm sitting academically after first year. I've had some pretty severe family issues which have demanded attention all year and have put me in a pretty crazy funk. It wasn't until after school ended a week or so ago that I realized how much this was true, and I feel like I'm capable of much more academically. I ended up getting pretty much straight B's and would score ~5% above average on exams (average at my school is ~80%). However there are a fair amount of students who sit near the top scoring nearly all A's. They haven't released class ranks yet but I'd guess I'm somewhere in the 2nd to 3rd quintile.

My question though is is it worth it to push myself to get into that upper quintile? How important really is class rank? I don't want to shot myself in the foot for residency.

Ace Step 1 and none of this matters - to a certain extent. Just rock the more important years (3 and 4).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the best of your ability in all areas and stop worrying about one single aspect of your "medschool portfolio." Just because you can memorize basic sciences doesn't guarantee you will great in years 3 & 4. I'm certainly not implying to that you don't have to care because they are crucial to get your foot in the door but personality and willingness to learn will also serve you in the years to come, probably with a little more importance. Do the best you can and just keep moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user
I went through this process last year and can say no one gives a damn about your preclinical grades. My class rank was 236 of 240 after second year but I did well on boards and clinical rotations and got 12 interviews, half uni, half community. Matched my #4.

Reactions: 8 users
I went through this process last year and can say no one gives a damn about your preclinical grades. My class rank was 236 of 240 after second year but I did well on boards and clinical rotations and got 12 interviews, half uni, half community. Matched my #4.
what specialty and was it university or community based?

IM, community. A few of the uni programs I just couldn't see myself happy at so I ranked them lower. Plus, I don't want to specialize so I didn't want to get my ass kicked with a bunch of **** that wouldn't help me be a hospitalist.

Most of my residency interviews commented about how they appreciated the fact my school used class ranking. I personally think it is relatively useless for anything other than comparing the students in the class itself. My class's top student had an average of 98%, where last year the class top average was 92%. That destroys any correlation outside of that ranked class. I'm sure the PDs, that are way smarter than me, realize this as well. Study for boards, apply yourself in clinicals (to get good letters of rec/evals), and jot down points for your personal statement as you are going through clinicals. Don't get caught up in any single factor, everything matters some amount all put together. I matched my top choice.

Reactions: 2 users

Class rankings r a joke. At any school presitgious or not there is an underground scene of rampant cheating. Maybe one or two will get caught, but wanna know where the rest end up?

The deans list.

Study to LEARN and just enough to pass your classes.

Class rank, preclinical graades... very little importance, unless your failing. Learn your material well. Step 1 is where the juice is at. I know folks who had better preclinical grades than me but lower Step1/Level 1. Guess who looks better (on paper at least)? Don't get caught up in the preclinical numbers game.

There are better things to direct your energy towards.

Class rankings r a joke. At any school presitgious or not there is an underground scene of rampant cheating. Maybe one or two will get caught, but wanna know where the rest end up?

The deans list.

Study to LEARN and just enough to pass your classes.

Ummm what. I would say there is literally 0 cheating at my school excluding like online completion quiz type stuff. As far as exams go, what cheating are you speaking of?

Members don't see this ad :)
morpheus: welcome to the desert of the real.

i'm not saying EVERYONE on the dean's list cheats - b/c that's simply a lie- but it would be naive of us to deny that some students have access to resources that are not readily shared with the rest of the class.

i'm not saying EVERYONE on the dean's list cheats - b/c that's simply a lie- but it would be naive of us to deny that some students have access to resources that are not readily shared with the rest of the class.
That's....not cheating...

Reactions: 1 users

Welcome to the desert of the real, Neo!

Groups are businesses, and there are all kinds of individuals owning or running them. I mean, just look at @Consigliere. :D

Hey man. Can you get more original? The above was posted by a prominent anesthesiology poster yesterday morning. Between your inability to define cheating and comedic plagiarism, you're making a solid case to be labeled a complete **** poster.

Kind of off topic, but I just want to point out that 100% of schools publish class rank. Making a guess based off of some students I have met on rotations, about half of schools say that they don't release class rank. They may even repeatedly tell you that they wont. They ALL DO. If I were a little more motivated right now I would find the link, but there is an article somewhere that shows the way that schools use coded language in the dean's letter to be able to tell students that they wont release class rank, but present it in a way that program directors can clearly see that it is the student's class rank.

Kind of off topic, but I just want to point out that 100% of schools publish class rank. Making a guess based off of some students I have met on rotations, about half of schools say that they don't release class rank. They may even repeatedly tell you that they wont. They ALL DO. If I were a little more motivated right now I would find the link, but there is an article somewhere that shows the way that schools use coded language in the dean's letter to be able to tell students that they wont release class rank, but present it in a way that program directors can clearly see that it is the student's class rank.

I was wondering what this was when I saw it on a PDs desk,

images

it all makes sense now

This has been discussed a bit in allopathic. I think there are a few schools that do not internally rank and are truly P/F. Most are either just open rank or use code words to indicate what quartile, quintile, or whatever.

That's....not cheating...
I would agree that usually extra resources and practice questions are fine and a great way to prepare for exams, but when those resources include "secure" test bank questions, that's when it starts to get a bit hazy.

you should be pushing yourself for straight A's because that is quantifiable evidence you are learning the material. Class rank is what it is. There is plenty of research that shows that those in the upper quartile perform better on boards than those in the bottom. So striving to be at the top just makes sense.

you should be pushing yourself for straight A's because that is quantifiable evidence you are learning the material. Class rank is what it is. There is plenty of research that shows that those in the upper quartile perform better on boards than those in the bottom. So striving to be at the top just makes sense.

Agree, I've seen the evidence that that top 20% or so on average perform better on boards, but not so much moreso than those who perform in the middle 60%. It's the bottom 20% of students in a class that should be concerned with boards.

However, I know that many students slide through last semester in order to do well on board study. Fact is that class rank is overrated, unless you are top 10% or so, or bottom 20% or so. Stick in that comfy middle and know your material, and there should be little to sweat.