Advice about speed/timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrothaX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping i could get some advice on how to improve my speed in the PS section.

It seems that my content is pretty alright but when i do calculation heavy sections i tend to slow down and don't finish in time at all (omitting up to 10)

How do i improve my speed? Should i just do more and more timed passages or maybe practice under more stringent timing so i can get used to the pressure?

any advice can help!

also if someone has already posted about this, could you please link the post?

Members don't see this ad.

sometimes I am slow because I am just tired or preoccupied by something else but sometimes I am because I am not used to do that particular kind of exercise and sometimes because I so mistakes during the process and come back after, to correct them.See why you waist your time and try to work on it. Repetion is a good thing IMO, if you repete many times a kind of questions, after a while it becomes automatic. If a certain kind of questions in PS is guaranteed to be in the MCAT, then better do a lot of them.

Reactions: 1 user
I was hoping i could get some advice on how to improve my speed in the PS section.

It seems that my content is pretty alright but when i do calculation heavy sections i tend to slow down and don't finish in time at all (omitting up to 10)

How do i improve my speed? Should i just do more and more timed passages or maybe practice under more stringent timing so i can get used to the pressure?

any advice can help!

also if someone has already posted about this, could you please link the post?

Are you doing calculations with paper and pencil? If so, I'd say try and do most if not all calculations in your head. Learn how to estimate, and focus more on getting the exponents correct.

If you're already doing all the above, then just remember that practice passages are more difficult and calculation heavy than the actual MCAT. Keep practicing and the MCAT passages will be a breeze.