Advice: Academic Career Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etudiant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I'm hoping you might be able to provide some advice with my current dilemma.

Since graduating college, I have followed the trajectory to pursue medical school because it fit my academic interests and it was easy to go along a structured path that many of my peers were pursuing. Clinical medicine seemed like an interesting career choice, although I was never completely sure that it was the right path for me.

I have realized this year that my ultimate goal is to pursue a career in academia studying (to put it broadly) medicine and society from a social sciences/anthropological perspective. Ideally, my career would involve a substantial amount of research and teaching undergraduates in a university setting, as a tenured professor. I am also very interested to help students in their academic paths--potentially as a student dean. I wouldn't be opposed to performing some clinical work concurrently as a physician, but I know that my main career objective is to have a faculty position that is typically pursued by those with a PhD in the social sciences, not an MD.

Due to my indecisiveness, I applied to both MD and PhD programs this year, but not MD/PhD. I was concerned about the length of time required to pursue both degrees; I realize now that I probably should have applied for the dual MD/PhD.

I have been accepted to two top 20 medical schools (as well as a few others that are not as research intensive), but I was ultimately rejected from all the PhD programs to which I applied. A professor who I interviewed with at one PhD program informed me that although I was a very qualified candidate, my research interests were very niched and did not match any specific professors in the Department. The two medical schools I have received acceptances at do not offer joint MD/PhD in the social sciences, so I cannot apply as an internal applicant.

My questions are:
1. Should I pursue medical school knowing that my ultimate career objective is to pursue research on medicine from a social sciences perspective and become a professor in a university?
I believe that it may be possible to have this career if I pursue the MD, particularly at a top 20 medical school, but it is not a typical path and I may encounter difficulty reaching this position. What do you think, SDN?
I am also concerned about the financial investment as I will be taking out $250K in loans, and I do not feel as excited about clinical medicine as research. I worry what will happen when it comes time to apply to residency; I do enjoy helping people--like I said, I would really like to be a student dean--but I am not very enthusiastic about much of the hands-on, procedural-based parts of clinical medicine. I could consider psychiatry, but I still have hesitation.

2. Should I apply for a PhD at another university to start after M2 year, taking a leave from the MD and returning once the PhD is complete?
I am not sure if this is an option, but I know that it is increasingly common for students to pursue a Master's Degree at another institution between M2 and M3. I could try to convince the medical school to allow this, although my debt will accrue during my time as a PhD student. I know that many MDs can transition easily to bench science research without a PhD, but I get the impression that it would be ideal to obtain a PhD in the social sciences if I want to be competitive for faculty positions.

3. Should I attempt to defer the MD to obtain a Master's Degree?
I was accepted for a Master's Degree (one PhD program recommended my application to their Master's program)--this degree might make me a more attractive candidate for PhD programs if I were to reapply. I have doubts that the medical school would allow this, but it's an option I have right now. I would also have to take out 40k in loans for the Master's Degree, so I am not sure that it's worth it, particularly because a professor told me I am very qualified but I just have very niched interests and it may be difficult to find a program that fits my specific interests. I am also a few years out of college and I want to begin a path rather than being in limbo.

So basically I'm in a very big dilemma right now. PhD programs are very competitive and there is no guarantee I would be accepted if I were to reapply, and of course I am very grateful for the opportunity to pursue an MD. I don't want to decline an advanced degree (MD) that provides the pathway to enter academia; I just know that my interests in medicine are more academic than clinical at this point and I'm concerned about what to do.

Any help is much appreciated!! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your reply @gonnif

The problem with the idea of going for an PhD is that there is no guarantee I will be accepted if I reapply (since I was rejected this year) and I worry about the possibility of not having any opportunity to ever pursue an advanced degree if I were to decline the MD. My academic recommendation letters are now several years old....so overall, it's a very stressful decision! I appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I think it may be difficult to be granted a deferral without a compelling reason; I feel like I need to try to make a decision.

You may have been unsuccessful this year in your PhD applications because you did not target your application to schools where the faculty are engaged in the area of research that interests you. That is essential in being admitted to a PhD program (you would not want to end up doing a dissertation on prison reform or political fringe groups when your passion is education).

I generally recommend looking at very recent literature or conference presentations in your very specific area of interest and seeing where the authors/presenters are from. Those are the schools you should be looking at.

You are not going to be happy in medical school and it is really a pity when 9-18 months into the process someone decides that they just don't have the desire to do it for even one more day. So much time and money going down the wrong path; don't be that guy.

Reactions: 1 users