Advice and Suggestions for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waitaminute

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I was just wondering if anyone could give some feedback on whether I am on the right path to becoming a competitive applicant for MD schools? And which areas should I focus on to make myself a better candidate? I'm constantly lurking here on the SDN forums, and sometimes I feel really stressed because so many people here are incredibly impressive. I am currently a junior, but I am trying to make myself as well rounded of an applicant as possible.
And also, if there is any chance that I could be considered for UCSF(my dream school)..or how I can improve to make myself a worthy applicant to UCSF?

cGPA: 3.91
BCPM: 3.95
MCAT: not taken yet! Planning to take it soon

Major: Psychobiology

Extracurriculars(any feedback??)
Clinical:
-ER Scribe(6-12 hours/week)
-Hospital volunteering(4 hours/week)
-Shadowing(Internist, Cardiologist, General Surgeon) - ~15-20 hours total

Non-Clinical:
-Volunteer at Alzheimers clinical trial center(8 hours/week)
-Spent one summer in Taiwan teaching middle schoolers English(~85-100 hours total)
-On the leadership team in my Christian fellowship
-Hopefully joining an Orchestra

Research:
-Research Assistant at Neurobiology Lab(15-20 hours/week)
-ex-Research Assistant at Psychology Learning and Forgetting Lab(1 year, 8 hours/week)

I'm a California resident.
Thanks for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

My advice: rock MCAT. Get more shadowing. Think about letters of recommendation. Continue everything else. Apply early and both IS/OOS and you should be good as long as you write/speak passionately.