Advice/Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello_everyone

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am applying this upcoming cycle. I am deciding what to do based on my stats and could use some input. I am fine with both MD and DO, and after working in a level I trauma this past year I realize for the most part there is no difference between them--and patients definitely dont notice the difference. Everyone is just a doctor as far as they are concerned. I graduated this past May--my cumulative GPA was 3.83 and science was a high 3.7. I took the old MCAT in December 2014 just before the switch--I rushed to take it---what a mistake! Although I averaged 30-33 on practice tests I got a 28 on the real thing....9 PS/ 10VR/ 9 BS. I realize this is low for MD, but okay for most DO's. I am thinking of doing a mixed cycle this June of lower tier MD's (actually am going by schools with lowest MCAT according to MSAR) and several DO's. I really like PCOM and NOVA in ft. lauderdale! I am thinking of starting to study for a re-take like now...and apply in June with the new scores and my old score. Do you think this is a good move? I figure if I can do better I could at least increase my chances for some MD's. Still will apply both DO and MD as I really think they're both great. I was exercise science in college and think a lot of it ties into some DO stuff well.

My ec's are solid--tons of shadowing, clinical volunteering at free clinic (200 hours) , two years of bench research in two diff labs (no pubs), bunch of students groups etc. I dont want to get into specifics on here as I could become easily identifiable I fear. I guess if you guys were me would you just go forward and apply with current MCAT or get a re-take in? Thanks for all input guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's worth a retake if you didn't prepare adequately (3 months+ studying) since it seems like the score isn't reflective of your potential.

What community do you represent?

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are fine for DO schools. For MD apply to your state public schools and consider schools such as:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
California Northstate
Creighton
Any new private MD schools that open in 2017 (Roseman, Seton Hall, Henricopolis, etc.)

I recommend:

Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Your state school(s).
Any DO school except LUCOM.
I can't recommend CNU either.

Hi everyone, I am applying this upcoming cycle. I am deciding what to do based on my stats and could use some input. I am fine with both MD and DO, and after working in a level I trauma this past year I realize for the most part there is no difference between them--and patients definitely dont notice the difference. Everyone is just a doctor as far as they are concerned. I graduated this past May--my cumulative GPA was 3.83 and science was a high 3.7. I took the old MCAT in December 2014 just before the switch--I rushed to take it---what a mistake! Although I averaged 30-33 on practice tests I got a 28 on the real thing....9 PS/ 10VR/ 9 BS. I realize this is low for MD, but okay for most DO's. I am thinking of doing a mixed cycle this June of lower tier MD's (actually am going by schools with lowest MCAT according to MSAR) and several DO's. I really like PCOM and NOVA in ft. lauderdale! I am thinking of starting to study for a re-take like now...and apply in June with the new scores and my old score. Do you think this is a good move? I figure if I can do better I could at least increase my chances for some MD's. Still will apply both DO and MD as I really think they're both great. I was exercise science in college and think a lot of it ties into some DO stuff well.

My ec's are solid--tons of shadowing, clinical volunteering at free clinic (200 hours) , two years of bench research in two diff labs (no pubs), bunch of students groups etc. I dont want to get into specifics on here as I could become easily identifiable I fear. I guess if you guys were me would you just go forward and apply with current MCAT or get a re-take in? Thanks for all input guys!