Advice? CRNA vs. PA vs. Pharmacy?

KWeaver3604075

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senior and have already applied to college and have been accepted. I have job shadowed a Pharmacist four times, CRNA three times, and a Physician's Assistant once. I like all of these professions and can see myself doing any of them, though they all have their positives and negatives. I have heard that it is hard to find jobs in Pharmacy, is this true? All of the Pharmacists I shadowed(Pediatrics, Retail, Cardiology) have said that Pharmacy is not the way it used to be. I like Pharmacy but I think I would get bored... I would really like to do something with more patient care. My mom is a CRNA and her and all of her friends who are CRNAs and doctors tell me that I should become a CRNA. I like how they are with the patient through the entire surgery but are not actually doing the surgery. Most of the time I was shadowing they just monitored vitals. Now that Nurse Anesthesia requires a Doctorate is it still worth it? Before it was between 7-8 years including experience, now its 8-9. I also liked shadowing a PA. I like how there is so many specialties I could have. And it is only a 5-6 year program. I need advice on which of the three I should pursue. How is the job outlook? Is all of the schooling worth the pay? How competitive is the graduate school? Any good schools I should apply to? Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I vote for CRNA.

Reactions: 1 user
If you would honestly enjoy all of them, I would count of pharmacy. If that is what you truly want to do then do it, but if there are other (better) options for you such as PA or CRNA I would say pursue those. Pharmacy isn't the way it used to be but a lot of things aren't anymore, so just let your interests naturally guide you. Shadow more and get a feel for what you really want to do for the next 30+ years. Both are great fields that are relatively stable and both make darn good money along with being very rewarding careers. No matter which one you pick you will be fine, just choose the one you want most after you expose yourself more. No need to make a decision now.

Just my $0.02.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would stay the hell away from any nursing doctorate program. At the end of the day, you will never be a doctor.

I would stay the hell away from any nursing doctorate program. At the end of the day, you will never be a doctor.
So should everyone stay away from phd programs since they will never be a doctor?

Some people don't want to be doctors.

Some people don't want to be doctors.

Then why the push by nurses to have their nurse grads have a doctorate nowadays? Nurses want autonomy and equivalent pay to physicians. At the end of the day, it will never happen.

Then why the push by nurses to have their nurse grads have a doctorate nowadays? Nurses want autonomy and equivalent pay to physicians. At the end of the day, it will never happen.
Why aren't they allowed to have a doctorate in nursing?
Like I mean people can get doctorates in any other major but nursing is a problem? who cares

Why aren't they allowed to have a doctorate in nursing?
Like I mean people can get doctorates in any other major but nursing is a problem? who cares

I actually don't have a problem with it. I just think that it's promoted by the nursing elites just to make money off their newborn nurses. I also think that a doctorate is not required for fields like physical therapy and chiropractic. What is the point of getting a doctorate if you're not getting a pay increase? The only other reason is just to increase the cost of entry in order to protect the field.

I am a high school senior and have already applied to college and have been accepted. I have job shadowed a Pharmacist four times, CRNA three times, and a Physician's Assistant once. I like all of these professions and can see myself doing any of them, though they all have their positives and negatives. I have heard that it is hard to find jobs in Pharmacy, is this true? All of the Pharmacists I shadowed(Pediatrics, Retail, Cardiology) have said that Pharmacy is not the way it used to be. I like Pharmacy but I think I would get bored... I would really like to do something with more patient care. My mom is a CRNA and her and all of her friends who are CRNAs and doctors tell me that I should become a CRNA. I like how they are with the patient through the entire surgery but are not actually doing the surgery. Most of the time I was shadowing they just monitored vitals. Now that Nurse Anesthesia requires a Doctorate is it still worth it? Before it was between 7-8 years including experience, now its 8-9. I also liked shadowing a PA. I like how there is so many specialties I could have. And it is only a 5-6 year program. I need advice on which of the three I should pursue. How is the job outlook? Is all of the schooling worth the pay? How competitive is the graduate school? Any good schools I should apply to? Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

I'd do nuring for your undergrad. Then you can work for a year after college and apply to either PA school or CRNA. PA schools and CRNA pretty much require you to take a gap year after college anyways.

Edit: Also make sure to take "legit" gen chem, orgo, and bio instead of any nursing survey courses. PA schools probably dont accept those. Also don't worry about the years. A few extra years is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Also if your up for it I'd consider med school. It's difficult but you'll make 3x the PA salary and have much more respect.

Reactions: 2 users