Advice-dismissed after finishing 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctay1090

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im in a really complex situation. And need advice. I finished all four years of school, walked for graduation, passed my complex 1 , complex 2 PE, but failed my comlex 2. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and hypo / hyperthyroidism (could not control) when i was taking my exam. my school totally destroyed me. They basically delayed giving me the chance to take the test again, gave me no medical leave, had me re-do 7 clerkships, lied about a handbook and falsified information, never entered in our contract that it was required for one to pass the step 2 to graduate, and about 75 other pages of documentation where they basically tied a noose tighter and tighter around their necks. they told me that I could transfer if I enrolled in a course that would make me eligible for transfer then when the other school called to make sure i was a "student currently enrolled and in good standing" the VP (who I've been dealing with for 3 yrs) said that i was not currently matriculating at the medical school (despite the fact that the syllabus stating the requirements to enter the course includes being a student currently enrolled in the medical school)
the story goes on but right now I am dismissed and don't know what to do. Any advice?

All I have to do is have a chance to take my comlex 2 again.

And no, Im not stupid. Im in mensa, my iq is 139. I went to a really prestigious college on full scholarship, graduated with a double major in biology and mathematics with honors; scored well on my MCATs, never failed a course - not in med school or previously- and was basically (mentally) in a bad place when taking the exam. The reason I didn't go to MD is because I thought DO was something different and interesting.
So, as I would expect, one's tendency would be to say that I am not equipped to be a physician because of my failures *oh 3 times (over a 7 month period).
The state I took the exam in does not have a limit to time to pass the exam.
The schools final reason for dismissal *the reason why they would not allow me to re-matriculate) was that 6 years had already passed since I began school. Yet, as the handbook states, a student has 1.5 times the amount of coursework taken to complete school. *hence the six year rule. BUT, i completed 7 extra clerkships. thus, I attended school for 4 yrs and 7 months. In addition, there is no clear definition of what the 6 years is comprised of i.e. does it include medical leave of absence? or military leave? or that initial summer between first and second year (3 mo). This is extremely complicated.
I tried the lawyer route but he was basically a waste of time. I have a 75 page book comprised of emails and written documentation where the school continually contradicts themselves, states one thing at one point (one rule) and another at another moment. I have documentations of meetings of certain dates and times and screenshots of "addendum's to handbook" showing the date and time that the addendum was added, which would be the day of our meeting, hours later. The addendum would be a new rule that denied me the ability to do whatever next step I had suggested OR a rule that they just created that catered to my case.

Oh, and I was never granted any leaves of absence.

I am a passionate, driven individual and have worked hard to get where I am. I believe *truly* that i am qualified to serve as a physician, and if i believed otherwise I would not be in opposition to my dismissal. I am not blaming anyone for my failures. I should've been smart enough to realize that there was something going on in my head, but my head wasn't all there, so I wasn't. I have seen the head of Kaplan regarding my ability to take the exam and was told that I need to "dumb down" my thinking for the exam. (perhaps in a manic state I was over-studying-which i know i did).

So, question at hand after that novel is 1. does anyone know of a school that would accept credits post dismissal when considering my circumstances 2. any thoughts on legal involvement again 3. am i beating a dead horse here.
I am a realist and do take responsibility for my actions, failures, successes and so forth but, as stated, I do believe I earned my degree and should at least have the ability to obtain my letters because of the circumstances.

thoughts? thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Why was the lawyer route a waste of time? Don't expect to get a free lawyer. They need to be paid, but make sure he or she is on the same page as you. Get a good referral from the State Bar of whichever state you go to school, and let him or her know what's going on. Any lawyer worth his salt should be able to help you out.

Good luck

You could transfer to a Caribbean school but they only have MD curriculum there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in a really complex situation. And need advice. I finished all four years of school, walked for graduation, passed my complex 1 , complex 2 PE, but failed my comlex 2. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and hypo / hyperthyroidism (could not control) when i was taking my exam. my school totally destroyed me. They basically delayed giving me the chance to take the test again, gave me no medical leave, had me re-do 7 clerkships, lied about a handbook and falsified information, never entered in our contract that it was required for one to pass the step 2 to graduate, and about 75 other pages of documentation where they basically tied a noose tighter and tighter around their necks. they told me that I could transfer if I enrolled in a course that would make me eligible for transfer then when the other school called to make sure i was a "student currently enrolled and in good standing" the VP (who I've been dealing with for 3 yrs) said that i was not currently matriculating at the medical school (despite the fact that the syllabus stating the requirements to enter the course includes being a student currently enrolled in the medical school)
the story goes on but right now I am dismissed and don't know what to do. Any advice?

And no, Im not stupid. Im in mensa, my iq is 139. I went to a really prestigious college on full scholarship, graduated with a double major in biology and mathematics with honors; scored well on my MCATs, never failed a course - not in med school or previously- and was basically (mentally) in a bad place when taking the exam. The reason I didn't go to MD is because I thought DO was something different and interesting.
So, as I would expect, one's tendency would be to say that I am not equipped to be a physician because of my failures *oh 3 times (over a 7 month period).
The schools final reason for dismissal *the reason why they would not allow me to re-matriculate) was that 6 years had already passed since I began school. Yet, as the handbook states, a student has 1.5 times the amount of coursework taken to complete school. *hence the six year rule. BUT, i completed 7 extra clerkships. thus, I attended school for 4 yrs and 7 months. In addition, there is no clear definition of what the 6 years is comprised of i.e. does it include medical leave of absence? or military leave? or that initial summer between first and second year (3 mo). This is extremely complicated.
I tried the lawyer route but he was basically a waste of time. I have a 75 page book comprised of emails and written documentation where the school continually contradicts themselves, states one thing at one point (one rule) and another at another moment. I have documentations of meetings of certain dates and times and screenshots of "addendum's to handbook" showing the date and time that the addendum was added, which would be the day of our meeting, hours later. The addendum would be a new rule that denied me the ability to do whatever next step I had suggested OR a rule that they just created that catered to my case.

I am a passionate, driven individual and have worked hard to get where I am. I believe *truly* that i am qualified to serve as a physician, and if i believed otherwise I would not be in opposition to my dismissal. I am not blaming anyone for my failures. I should've been smart enough to realize that there was something going on in my head, but my head wasn't all there, so I wasn't. I have seen the head of Kaplan regarding my ability to take the exam and was told that I need to "dumb down" my thinking for the exam. (perhaps in a manic state I was over-studying-which i know i did).

So, question at hand after that novel is 1. does anyone know of a school that would accept credits post dismissal when considering my circumstances 2. any thoughts on legal involvement again 3. am i beating a dead horse here.
I am a realist and do take responsibility for my actions, failures, successes and so forth but, as stated, I do believe I earned my degree and should at least have the ability to obtain my letters because of the circumstances.

Doctay1090, It sounds like you've been through a lot. I really think I can update you on a few things that can provide you relief. please pm when you get a chance.

Reactions: 2 users

Sorry to learn of this. Have you had some resolution?