Advice for 1st year MOT students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mam08009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after all the running around looking for observation hours, trying to write the perfect personal statement essay, making sure all my transcripts were sent through, and overcoming the dreadful waiting process, I know for a fact I'm going to OT school in the fall! :bow: Praise the Lord! hahaha

But now that the whole application process is over, I now have time to think about how to prepare myself for my first year as an OT grad student. It's exciting and scary at the same time (but mostly exciting of course!).

I was just wondering if there are any OT grad students or OT/Rs out there that are willing to give some advice for the Year 1 graduate students? For example, is there anything I should brush up on before starting OT school? Is there anything that you WISH you knew before you started your first year? Best way to study in OT school? Any advice would be much appreciated!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not an OT student, but I can give some advice. I heard a lot of schools offer Gross Anatomy so I would brush up on anatomy (don't over do it lol). I would also rest up the summer before OT school because s*** gets real right now. Get a job, save up some money, enjoy the summer. Once you get into OT school I would just tackle everything from day one. Study study study. Understand that this will be the hardest but most rewarding time of your life.

Just relax! Your first year is going to be a huge adjustment! Trust me, after the first year I wish I knew to relax prior going into OT school. My advice is to just manage your time wisely and form study groups. That has helped me get through the first year at my program!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've posted these suggestion previously, but these are some things I think would have been helpful for my first year.

Since you know which program you're getting into my first piece of advice would be to research everything available about the program. Get familiar with the curriculum, I know in my program we have pre-determined specific classes we have to take each semester with no choice of electives or anything, so I'd definitely look ahead and see which classes you'll be taking each semester. Also, find a copy of the course catalog and read through the descriptions of all your classes, especially for the first year. For instance, if you know you'll be taking anatomy or neuroscience it may be helpful to pick up a study guide or even do a little reading ahead to get familiar with different muscles and neural pathways. This will also give you an idea of the time commitment you'll be putting in each semester so you can decide if you want to hold a part-time job or not or do any other activities, because ultimately OT school comes first but there may be other things you want to do.

I'd suggest you talk to students in the program about knowing what to expect. And see if they would be willing to be a mentor in case you have any questions or concerns while you are in the program. Having a good relationship with other students ahead of you or even within your cohort is so helpful, because this will be a tough and stressful commitment!

Go onto the AOTA website and look for the OT Practice Framework and become familiar with this as you will probably be using this a lot in some of your classes. Look for other documents that give an intro of OT because at least for the first few semesters you'll be learning more about what OTs do and some of the guiding principles and theories and such, so this will be helpful. The Centennial Vision and other "what is OT" type publications they make are good to get familiar with the profession.

Do a little research into interesting areas of OT and the different populations they serve. Your time in OT school will be a lot of self-discovery as you become familiar with different methods of practice, you'll want to have an idea of where you want to gain experience especially by the time you start fieldwork. I know I discovered interesting areas such as hippotherapy and recreation therapy by just doing a little Googling.

If you have time, you may also want to do more volunteering or job shadowing, which is always helpful, especially if you can develop a close relationship with an OT to pick their brain on different things. I think the more you know about the field beforehand, the better, because my first few semesters was about learning about what an OT actually does.

Brush up on Anatomy & Physiology and Medical Terminology. Review the names of muscles, bones, and nerves including what muscles the nerves innervate, what muscles control what movement, and read up on basic anatomy and physiology of the nervous system (brain structures, spinal cord segments, etc.). It may also be useful to look over disabilities.

Keep a binder of everything. I've kept binders for every semester and I still have the notes for every class including stuff I've taken and what my professors have given me.

Make up a study guide for each class. I would also suggest making up a study guide for finals for each class and start it early. Like read and take notes of important terms or combine main topics and notes you are given into one compiled document. Start taking the notes the week you are given the reading assignment to save time later on. This will make studying for finals so much easier and will be helpful when it comes time to refer to notes for the NBCOT.

Has anybody found an iPad helpful? I've been hearing mixed reviews as far as being better off getting an iPad or a MacBook Air when it comes to wanting something easy to bring to class every day.

Thanks for the tips, Jewel.

Ot4me, iPads are nice, but typing a lot on one is a chore unless you bring an external keyboard.

Last edited:
Has anybody found an iPad helpful? I've been hearing mixed reviews as far as being better off getting an iPad or a MacBook Air when it comes to wanting something easy to bring to class every day.

I use an ipad in class and it is useful. But I'd get an external keyboard to go with it.