Advice for 2016 app cycle, low stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to both MD and DO this coming cycle, but prefer MD. My stats are low, but ECs are good.

Here are some relevant info: *Asian Louisiana resident *Graduated in May 2013 *Worked full time for a year after graduation in a research lab and then quit work to take informal post-bac classes at small, local state school *I plan to apply to LSU-NO (top choice), which has a 32-hour post-bac rule which replaces my undergrad GPA with my GPA from 32 hours of post-bac. *Post-bac in Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 *I will have taken 3 years off between undergrad and med school if I get in this coming cycle. *I have strong ties to Texas and would love to apply there, but with my stats it would be nearly impossible to get in.

Stats
UNDERGRAD: cGPA of 3.37, sGPA of 3.05
POSTBAC (all science):
-16 hours in Fall 2014: 4.0; so uGPA incl. post-bac: cGPA of 3.44 and sGPA of 3.24
-16 hours in Spring 2015: IF I manage another 4.0 this semester, cGPA of 3.5 and sGPA of 3.37
MCAT * 12/06/14: PS9/V10/BS10 (29)
-will likely take the new 2015 MCAT because one of my two state medical schools will only take that one for this coming cycle

ECs
*Worked for three years in a research lab, resulted in 2 publications (1 shared first author) and an amazing LoR from my PI
*Great leadership and volunteering experiences (I can elaborate if you want, but the most significant and extensive was my work with adults with various intellectual and developmental disabilities)
*ER Scribe for less than a year
*Some others, but not as significant
*I didn't do as well in undergrad because I was too caught up in ECs. So during my post-bac year I didn't do anything but take classes. I hope that wasn't a mistake.

Other These are experiences I believe are important in shaping who I am, but I will not exploit these as reasons for wanting to become a physician.
*I come from a very hard-working family. My parents are immigrants and have worked 7 days a week for the past 30 years. I may or may not have been "forced" to work at the family business for 5 or so years at their gas station. I did meet many great people because of it, developed essential interpersonal skills, and learned a great deal of values and life lessons.
*While my parents worked, I was raised by my grandmother who also dedicated her life to caring for my uncle, who is mentally ******ed. (Hence, my own work with the community of disabled adults.)
*My older brother was involved in an accident during my last undergrad semester that resulted in a severe traumatic brain injury. Dealing with this situation, including his dramatic personality change, has been one of the most difficult challenges I have yet to face.
*My other grandmother passed away this past semester. She was the heart of my relatively large family.

Lots of information, I know, but I wanted to give a comprehensive background so hopefully I can get as much help and advice as I can. My current plans are to take more classes this Spring semester and get some LORs. I also need one from a DO to apply to DO schools. I think I can get a committee letter from the school I am taking post-bac classes at. No idea what to do after this coming semester though. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your app should focus on DO. You could apply to the Louisiana state MD schools as well. If you worked through college, you may be considered economically disadvantaged. This would be something to look into.

The post-bac work is impressive, as is your commitment to people with developmental disabilities. Good luck!