Advice for a career changer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSS978

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im as new as it gets around here!

Graduated in 2006 with a BS in accounting from a four year university with a gpa just under 3.5. I worked full time since then in an acctg firm for 2.5 years, then decided I want to pursue a life long dream and interest in vet medicine.

I am applying for this coming fall to a few post bacc programs to fulfill the science prereqs. Am I on the right track to eventually apply to vet schools? What do you guys recommend my path be? Also, are you allowed to apply to both med and vet schools when the time comes?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Im as new as it gets around here!

Graduated in 2006 with a BS in accounting from a four year university with a gpa just under 3.5. I worked full time since then in an acctg firm for 2.5 years, then decided I want to pursue a life long dream and interest in vet medicine.

I am applying for this coming fall to a few post bacc programs to fulfill the science prereqs. Am I on the right track to eventually apply to vet schools? What do you guys recommend my path be? Also, are you allowed to apply to both med and vet schools when the time comes?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi, welcome! I would recommend getting some shadowing or volunteer experience with a vet. Have you taken the GRE yet? I am planning to take a prep class for it. As for applying to Vet and Med school at the same time, I would have to answer that question with another question: do you really want to do both equally or is there one you want more? I don't know because I have not gone through the process yet but I think applying to both might indicate a lack of dedication and passion for the profession, which most of the websites seem to indicate is important. Just my 2 cents :)

Hey there :hello:

I think it depends on what you want to do. Post Bacc's are fine, if they have the course that you need to get into the school that you want to get into.

Along with shadowing and getting an idea of what vet med is like, you should go through the requirements for the vet schools of interest. If you go through the requirements on the individual websites, you may get information on what types of courses are allowed. The requirements are not the same for every school.

Applications for veterinary school and medical school are different. You'll need to do extensive study for the MCAT along with refreshing knowledge for the GRE. I'm sure each med school also has a different set of pre reqs that they would like to see, which may not mesh with the requirements for your vet school(s) of choice. Animal Nutrition comes to mind.

It can be done, but there may be questions as to your motivation, if you go for both.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your replies -
so i noticed that the MCAT really isnt a true requirement for vet school. Is this accurate? It seems like it is only the GRE.

That's right. Most schools won't take the MCAT, but a few do.

I know somebody who graduated from my undergrad school the year before me - she applied to a few vet schools and one med school. She got into 2 vet schools and a med school and went med in the end. I don't know what changed her mind after years of being pre-vet.

In general I tend to agree with what was said a few posts back about it typically showing a lack of interest/determination, but it depends on your reasons for wanting to apply to both. I know I didn't apply to med schools, and still got asked "Why not human medicine" in my interviews...so be ready! :)

ok thanks - for my situation, do you think I have a chance coming from a different field? Do they look negatively at this?

Also, my GPA is just under a 3.5 (undergrad BS in acctg). What should be my goal (GPA wise) when applying to these schools? Do I have to shoot for all A's in the sciences hehe..? (Ive taken none of the science prereqs and plan on starting a post bacc in the fall for this purpose) Do the schools look highly upon taking the prereqs at a formal post bacc program?

Additionally, what were your stats, experiences, etc. if you dont mind me asking, that got you in so I know how to plan...

thanks!!

You don't need all A's, but that never hurts if you can.

I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems like they like people who have had a job/career out of undergrad before being pre-vet. Many of the more successful applicants are non-traditional it seems.

If you want to see a bunch of people's stats, the "successful applicant" thread is posts by people who go in, their stats, and people commenting on them.
Hope that helps!

ok thanks - for my situation, do you think I have a chance coming from a different field? Do they look negatively at this?

Generally, no. There are lots of career changers and folks who a few years out of school decided they'd rather do vet med. In an interview situation (a fair bit down the road) you'll want to be able to explain why vet med, why not, why not before, why not other things, how do you know it's right for you, etc. kind of things. But it doesn't really ever seem to put us non-traditionals at a disadvantage. :) Good luck.

thanks for all the responses!

I was browsing through the successful applicants threads and noticed all the experience!! hundreds of hours on all these kinds of animals (horses, pigs, farm animals, etc.) - I feel like that is going to be very unrealistic for me to do - not many places around me have this! I feel like I should just not even bother pursing this, since I know I will not get all that experience. How much experience is acceptable?
Will one or two jobs in an animal setting suffice (like a vet clinic) What do you recommend? I am a non-trad who has worked in acctg for the last 2.5 years...

What do these schools really expect as far as experience goes?

The amount and type of experience you need is going to depend somewhat by school. Some schools focus a little more on grades/GRE and some focus a little more on experience, but all of them want you to have a good solid amount of experience. For example, Penn is more of a GPA/GRE school and they want a minimum of 500 hours of veterinary experience. Schools really want to know that A) you are committed to the field and B) you know what you're getting yourself into and you can deal with what it entails.

In general there are two types of experience you'll want: veterinary or animal. Veterinary exerience is done under the supervision of a health professional (generally a veterinarian, although you could also include a licensed wildlife rehabber or a PhD conducting animal research). This could involve anything from shadowing as a passive observer to actually being employed by a clinic or lab. The second type of experience is animal experience, which is not done under a health professional's supervision. Examples could be walking dogs at a shelter, working with/for a farmer, working with a rescue group, working in a pet store, and so on. Taking care of your own animals does not count! There was a thread on here a while ago about the various merits of vet and animal experience, which would have more detail, but you probably want to get some of both.

Schools are also looking for breadth of experience, meaning not just one type of experience. You don't need experience with every type of animal ever, but it should be more than just one or two. For example, I had experience interning under a shelter vet, interning at a wildlife clinic, volunteering with shelter rabbits, and horseback riding (and I was pretty light on experience compared to many on here).

So getting experience is very important, and it can take a while to get your foot in the door so it is good to get started early. Obviously it is a necessary step to getting into vet school, but more importantly it is something that you need to experience to confirm that vet med is for you. There is nothing like coming home covered in blood, iodine, fur, poop, and anal gland secretions and having just had the greatest day ever and wanting to go back for more. I think having that experience is a crucial part of entering vet med and that you should look at it as more of an awesome opportunity to experience your chosen field than a task to be completed. Not trying to put words in your mouth - it's hard to determine tone on the internet - but your post sounded a little like you just wanted to get the minimum in. Anyway there are a lot of good threads on here about how to approach veterinarians asking to shadow and how to start getting experience, so take a look through those too; they have some good advice.

You might want to check out my post under the successful applicant thread. I started my first science course as a post-bac at a community college in 2006 at the age of 37. I got accepted into Cornell and Davis this year--off the wait list at both schools) with animal experience only--no formal veterinary experience. In addition, all of that experience was with cats only--no other animals. I was previously in retail management. I n spite of all of that, I don't have any doubts about my career choice or my ability to succeed.

My advice based on my experience is: Make sure this is what you want to do by any means possible and then make sure you can express your certainty and dedication to adcoms.

Also, my GPA is just under a 3.5 (undergrad BS in acctg). What should be my goal (GPA wise) when applying to these schools? Do I have to shoot for all A's in the sciences hehe..? (Ive taken none of the science prereqs and plan on starting a post bacc in the fall for this purpose) Do the schools look highly upon taking the prereqs at a formal post bacc program?

Additionally, what were your stats, experiences, etc. if you dont mind me asking, that got you in so I know how to plan...

thanks!!