Advice for a "career-changer"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PetitAllegro

on the way
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on advice on what would be the best way to proceed in my situation. I'm currently a rising junior at a state school, double majoring in a performing arts degree and an academic (non-science) degree. To be completely honest, I had never given much serious consideration to the idea of going into the medical field until this past year - my career plans were totally centered on my arts degree. However, chronic injuries and several other factors have forced me to re-evaluate the feasibility of a career in that field.

My primary question is this: will it hurt me in the long run (in terms of post-bacc and med school programs questioing my motivations/dedication) to stick with my current majors rather than switching over to a science major and doing pre-reqs now? I very much enjoy both majors and really want to complete my degrees, especially given the amount of work I've already put into them. I know that I'll need to start building good ECs (my involvement so far is sadly pretty lackluster), so I'm in the process of hopefully getting a volunteer spot at the hospital affiliated with my university, and will be looking at more clubs etc. for this coming academic year.

Any advice, tips, or admonishments would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should stick with the art major for med school and focus on doing well in the prereqs. You want to be original. I'm sure that medicine (residency and 3rd year) will be 10x more stressful and physically demanding than a performing art career, but that is just my 2cents.

Yeah don't try and do the pre-reqs now. I would graduate and then enter into a post bac program, do my pre-reqs, take MCAT and then apply.

You probably can take your pre-reqs informally too without being in a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you've got two full years left -- that's plenty of time to complete the prereqs. You don't need to switch your major(s). Stick with what you've worked hard for and enjoy and squeeze in the prereqs along with your major requirements. Spread over two years, that should be doable.

You can, as suggested above, do a postbac -- but that's an extra year of school and an extra year of tuition payments. Might as well get it done while you're in school anyway.

Thanks for your replies! Unfortunately it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to fit in all of the prereqs during my remaining undergrad due to scheduling conflicts. I am going to try to fit in pre-calc and calc, probably over next summer and my senior year, but from what I've read it seems like a post-bacc will be my best option.

Fair enough. Then definitely focus on getting lots of volunteer experience, preferably in a clinical medical setting, to strengthen your application. If you have a high GPA, good SAT scores and outstanding LORs, you'll have a good chance of getting into one of the top programs.

Something to consider if you are getting free lunch from the government. There is ZERO financial aid available once you have a degree. The only assistance your able to get is loans.

I would focus on your grades now. Ensure every class is an A. It would not hurt to get involved in the pre med clubs or start volunteering now if you have time.

Something to consider if you are getting free lunch from the government. There is ZERO financial aid available once you have a degree. The only assistance your able to get is loans.

Well, you can get federal financial assistance as a 5th year undergraduate even after you get your degree, if you're doing a formal postbac program. This usually comes in the form of Stafford loans, if that's what you mean.